• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type 3 & INFP?

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Would this combination be possible?
I have realized that I am extremely image-conscious around others.
I will often say and do things which I think people will like me for- playing it smart that way.
However, I have recently learned that is something certain people are annoyed with- specifically, some of my closer friends in college.
A part of me is afraid to 'be myself' because I fear that people will reject me if I do so, I fear that people will find reasons to dislike me and stop wanting to be with me.
I don't have much self-confidence as it is. I guess my question is from what I have said: is a Type 3w4 INFP possible or is this 4w3 INFP or something else?

aeon

Potoumchka
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
From Riso:

The combination of Four and three traits produce a subtype which is both emotionally volitile and contradictory. (This is true for the Three with a Four-wing as well) While the two component types may on the surface appear to be opposites, they have much in common, and if properly used can do much to offset some of their individual weaknesses. Fours are often introverted, withdrawn, and self-abslorbed, whereas Threes Tend to be extroverted, interpersonal, and goal-oriented. The Fours's fear of exposing itself (in a sense, the "fear of success") is the opposite of the Three's self display and competitive desire for success. The Four's intoverted self-consciousness constrasts with the Three's charm and other extroverted social skills. As conflicting as these two component types are, both are nevertheless concerned with self-image and self-esteem issues. Fours tend to develop a self-image which is largely a private matter. Fours are trying to become their self-image through their imagination and feelings. Threes develop a more public self-image and try to get others to validate its reality through their achievements. Both opposing sets of traits can coexist in the same person, although uneasily...

Because of the Three-wing, healthy people of this subtype can be sociable, ambitious, and accomplished, particularly in the arts: they possess both creativity and the drive to "make their mark". They are in touch with who they are and who they are becoming, but with a more extraverted, energetic dimension to them. In general, Fours tend to be private and not particulary action-oriented, but with a healthy Three-wing, this impulse is tempered by a desire to accomplich and to improve the self. To do this, Fours with a Three-wing know that they must produce, and that they must be involved with people. Thus the Three-wing tends to be more goal-oriented, sociable, and aware of interpersonal "politics" than the Five-wing. Healthy Fours with a Three wing want to be successful, but distinctive, and are willing to put in the necessary work to actualize their dreams. Both subtypes can be highly creative, but the Four with a Three-wing is more aware of creating with an audience in mind. They are adaptable, sensitive to others, and have a good sense of humour.

cheers,
Ian

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
4w3 sounds pretty accurate, :)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
4w3 sounds pretty accurate, :)

That might be a possibility.

I think "normal" Three mirrorness is more based on wanting to build up the self through achievements and other external superficial things (I could see ESxP doing this sort of thing), whereas the INFP is mirroring via different principles and there's more going on inside.

surgery

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Four
I support the possibility, seeing as I relate strongly to both descriptions. As an INFP, I have strong sense of my ideal self. Consistant with (fours), I see myself as a work of art in progress. The path to my ideals -- my blossoming -- is through achievement and, admittedly, forms of prestige, which is the primary focus for (threes.)