• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

von Manstein and MBTI ???

zz000ter

MBTI Type
ENTP
I had a crazy idea and can't find anything on Google

How would you slot MBTI into the von Manstein matrix of officer/manager types?
I doubt anyone would want their type slotted into the "active stupid"
but maybe for the other three slots???

Reference:

#1. Smart + Lazy: Innovative type that does not rush into things. He figures out the easiest way to accomplish a goal. Has a strategic mind and long-term view. Is a good leader.

The “Smart Lazies” Discover Value — These are typically the founders of a company.

#2. Smart + Active: Follows opportunities as they arise in realtime. A manager type. His intelligence is sometimes diluted being confused by too many parallel things and lack of discipline to focus. Gets lots of stuff done. Not a great leader.

The “Smart Actives” Capture Value — These are typically the professional managers of the company during it’s growth phase.

#3. Stupid + Lazy: Follows orders. Does not show too much own initiative. Operative administration type. Often inherits value created by the Smart-Actives. Does no harm on teams. Performs in a consistent predictable manner.

The “Stupid Lazies” Maintain Value — These are the staff and administration which handle the day-to-day management chores of an operating entity. Basically, the “Stupid Lazies” inherit the value created by the labors of the “Smart Actives”

#4. Stupid + Active: Dangerous type. Does not follow orders, makes mistakes and pursues his own agenda. Default behaviour is to act in absence of skill. Causes all kinds of trouble.

The “Actively Stupid” Destroy Value — These are the elements that can spring up like cancer within an organisation and create a drag on company performance that can only be cured through radical excision from the organisation.

Creating Hardworking Idiots
http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifehack/creating-hardworking-idiots.html

Cloning Erich von Manstein’s Hardworking Idiots
http://sunbear.wordpress.com/2008/05/02/cloning-erich-von-mansteins-hardworking-idiots/

Balancing diligence and laziness
http://mcgeesmusings.net/2006/07/19/balancing-diligence-and-laziness/

S

Sniffles

What's the exact source for attributing this to von Mainstein?

zz000ter

MBTI Type
ENTP
What's the exact source for attributing this to von Mainstein?

uuummmm Google?

Actually I should add that there is also von Moltke value matrix thrown in

von Manstein = the Lazy vs Active and Smart vs Dumb
von Moltke = the value they create

I spoke only of von Manstein because I care about the 4 types of leaders

Were the links I provided not good enough?

The idea of putting the MBTI types into the Von Manstein matrix was my idea

S

Sniffles

Were the links I provided not good enough?
None of them give an actual source for this concept from von Manstein. This source claims it's cited from his memoirs Lost Victories, which is believable but unfortunately the exact reference point isn't given there.

Now typology of military leaders is a valid topic, I'm just asking for the source for the attributation to Manstein. Now I know Myers-Briggs notes four different forms of "intelligences"(I think that's the term used) and divides them up into different military contexts: Tactical, Strategic, Diplomatic, and Logistical:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keirsey_Temperament_Sorter#Temperaments_and_intelligence_types

Military history is a great interest for me, hence my curiousity.

zz000ter

MBTI Type
ENTP
OK - how about we forget the von Manstein part

Is it possible to fit the MBTI types into the matrix?

I would assume that the ENTP or ENTJs would be the "lazy/smart" - people that see new ways of making things happen - leaders/line officers

Who would be the staff?
Who would be the bureaucrats?

zz000ter

MBTI Type
ENTP
How about this for a categorization?

1 The “Smart Lazies” Discover Value

INTJ - DESIGNER - Builders and designers of both systems and products. Logical, evaluative with positive outlook. Theoretical and somewhat impersonal.
ENTP - INNOVATOR - Inspiring and enthusiastic, Analytical. Like novelty and uncertainty. Pragmatic and goaloriented. Love challenges.
ENTJ - TRAILBLAZER - Outgoing and outspoken. Like to organize people and projects. Desire to give structure. Natural leaders. Strive for efficiency and effectiveness.
INTP - THEORIZER - Logical and precise. Persevering and thorough, somewhat impersonal. Not impressed with authority. Theoretical.

2 “Smart Actives” Capture Value

ESTP - DOER- Resourceful. Love activity. Good observers. Good negotiators and manipulators.
ESFP - PERFORMER - Charming and open to others. Generous and optimistic. Like company and excitement. Conventional.
ESTJ - STABILIZER - Responsible and orderly. Loyal and steadfast. May be impatient with others or impetuous. Like to be involved in community activities.
ENFP - CLARIFIER - Gifted observers and enterprisers. Charming and likable. Not interested in routine living patterns.
ENFJ - ENERGIZER - Sociable, active, popular but put time enough into their work to perform well. Natural leaders. Effective in interpersonal relationships and skills. Tolerant trusted and forgiving.
INFJ - HARMONIZER - Gifted and effective communicators. Imaginative and intuitive. Good interpersonal skills. Excel at problem solving.
INFP - IDEALIZER - Idealistic and committed. Adaptable. Respond well to the needs of others. Dislike detail.

3 “Stupid Lazies” Maintain Value

ESFJ - SOCIALIZER - Sociable and outgoing. Responsible, attentive and traditional. Loyal and hardworking. Dislike obstructions.
ISTJ - SYSTEMATIZER - Detailoriented and stable. Patient and sensible. Dislike novelty and frivolity.
ISFJ - PRESERVER - Dedicated and service-oriented. Dependable and orderly. Relate well to individual needs. Traditional and procedural.
ISFP - EXPERIENCER - Solitary. Seek simplicity and freedom. Digest experience deeply.
ISTP - STRATEGIZER - Action-oriented, precise and tireless. Can be impulsive. Challenged by complex equipment. Somewhat solitary.

4 “Actively Stupid” Destroy Value

???

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
3 “Stupid Lazies” Maintain Value
ISTJ - SYSTEMATIZER - Detailoriented and stable. Patient and sensible. Dislike novelty and frivolity.

:bored:

So many stereotypes all over this thing. Any type can be any of these.

S

Sniffles

It's important not to confuse different typologies with each other. Just like Enneagram types don't line up perfectly with MBTI types or Socionics. This is a common mistake I've noticed.

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's important not to confuse different typologies with each other. Just like Enneagram types don't line up perfectly with MBTI types or Socionics. This is a common mistake I've noticed.

Oh, this is Socionics?