• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which types are geeks?

Which Types are geeks?

• Total voters

Usehername

On a mission
INTJ, INTP, and ISTJ are the three main types that fit most of the "geek" standards, but all types can be geeks in different ways (except possibly SFJs, who make up such a large segment of the population that they ARE the "mainstream culture" to be understood by all the other types).

There are even some F geeks too (Kurt Cobain?) who tend to show more pride in their "identity" as a nerd than the Ts.

But nerd is different than geek.

Nerd = bookish; studious; try-hard.

Geek = plays around with hardware/software; knows techy things out of interest's sake; wants to learn for the sake of mischief/pwnage/interest rather than being seen as smart or getting good grades.

And to second what a few others have said, I too have known some pretty geeky ENFPs, seriously.

MerkW

A definition from Wikipedia:

...a peculiar or otherwise odd person, especially one who is perceived to be overly obsessed with one or more things including those of intellectuality, electronics, gaming, etc.

Some other definitions, Ibid.

• A person who is interested in technology, especially computing and new media. Geeks are adept with computers, and treat the term hacker as a term of respect, but not all are hackers themselves.
  • A person who relates academic subjects to the real world outside of academic studies; for example, using multivariate calculus to determine how they should correctly optimize the dimensions of a pan to bake a cake.
  • A person who has chosen concentration rather than conformity; one who pursues skill (especially technical skill) and imagination, not mainstream social acceptance.
  • A person with a devotion to something in a way that places him or her outside the mainstream. This could be due to the intensity, depth, or subject of their interest. This definition is very broad but because many of these interests have mainstream endorsement and acceptance, the inclusion of some genres as "geeky" is heavily debated. Persons have been labeled as or chosen to identify as physics geeks, mathematics geeks, engineering geeks, sci-fi geeks, computer geeks, various science geeks, movie and film geeks (cinemaphile), comic book geeks, theatre geeks, history geeks, music geeks, art geeks, philosophy geeks, literature geeks, and roleplay geeks.

Based off this, I would say INTJ and IxTP are most like to be geeks. INFP, ENTP, and ISTJ under certain circumstances can be close runner-ups.

I consider myself a geek.
'Tis a word of pride.

ygolo

My termites win
For me, "Geek" is just a term. Neither good nor bad.

I didn't really define it, what I mean by "geek" is a characterization of what I believe people have been calling "geek."

I think it has to do with eccentricity of interests (and the strength of those interests), along with a social awkwardness that results from that eccentricity.

That awkwardness can sometimes be endearing, sometimes be distancing.

When I thought through examples in real life, I could not think of any SF geeks. I really didn't know I would have trouble doing that till I tried.

heart

heart on fire
ISTJ-- Geek
INTP--- Nerdy-Dork
INFP--- Dorky-Nerd
ISTP--Doofus
INTJ-- Nutty Professor
INFJ- Spastic Sage
ISFJ--Basketcase
ISFP--Spacy sister

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
ISTJ-- Geek
INTP--- Nerdy-Dork
INFP--- Dorky-Nerd
ISTP--Doofus
INTJ-- Nutty Professor
INFJ- Spastic Sage
ISFJ--Basketcase
ISFP--Spacy sister

I don't see how the last three relate to the OP.

I agree with Ygolo. I don't think ISFJs could be called geeks, nerds or even dorks. All of these terms imply a certain eccentricity that SFJs lack.

Jae Rae

heart

heart on fire
I don't see how the last three relate to the OP.

I agree with Ygolo. I don't think ISFJs could be called geeks, nerds or even dorks. All of these terms imply a certain eccentricity that SFJs lack.

Jae Rae

I am being facetious. ;)

Any introvert, in a neurotic phase is going to be out of touch with the flow of the world, ISFJ are not immune. I know one like this.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
The world would be a boring place if there were no geeks.

duel_of_the_geeks.jpg

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
im a geek.

I think...

Geek is the one what means "likes science and stuff" right?

Or is that nerd? Nerd was the one who like science, but in an SJ suck up to the teacher way right?

heart

heart on fire
A definition from Wikipedia:

Some other definitions, Ibid.

[/LIST]

Based off this, I would say INTJ and IxTP are most like to be geeks. INFP, ENTP, and ISTJ under certain circumstances can be close runner-ups.

I consider myself a geek.
'Tis a word of pride.

INFP and INFJ more likely to be art, literature or history...or :sick: Harry Potter geeks, not in a runner up way, but in a real way.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think IxxP's are the geekiest, followed by other I's and N's. ESxx is generally normal.

Although I would say that every type except ISFJ, ENTJ, ENFJ, and ESxx can potentially be a geek. ENxP's can easily end up being geeks unless they're careful, although it's least likely to happen to them of the types I chose.

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I had no problem with labelling all NTs geeks; even the ENTJ Eights, like me, have a geekish streak. I also thought NFs were quite geekish, although I was reluctant to say that any of them apart from INFP actually were. For example ENFPs are actually quite cool at times, Ghandi was an ENFJ, and Buddha probably was too, and I wouldn't really put an INFJ down for geekiness. NTs are far more geeky than NFs, because NFs carry essential people skills that make people fit the bill for non-geekiness. However, I do think all non-NTs have the capacity for a geeky streak; they're simply not the geekiest, and the amount of, say, ESTP geeks you'll find is so small.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I do not think of geekiness being a comfort that comes with one of the personality types or temperaments. In my definition there are two meanings of "geek", which on the one hand points to "someone, who is dedicated to learning and cultivating that dedication" or on the other hand lives his life on a parallel plane of existence, like a computer geek.

On behalf of the first definition, I have seen geekiness in all personality types. Especially in ST-Temperaments, which make up a great sum of my daily surroundings. There have the simple understanding that there is no gain, without pain; and that you have to actually study to get a degree for studying. From my point of view, they are geeks, cause when it comes to the point, when their talents are required, they can quote from the book but cant think of their own at all. Obviously I envy those geeks a little, because my intrests in studying matter only succumb to things that really get my attention, which puts me in the position of lacking important details later on.

On behalf of the second definition that wants the geek to live in his own world; I think this type of geekiness to be prone to all types of personalities as well. Especially those introverted and intuition-based ones. To pinpoint out introverted thinkers as being geeks, seems to be the most logical thing to do first, but the fact is that a thinker in general, while being occupied by thoughts is hardly to be used in parallel processes aswell. That means, if I concentrate, I cant drive a car with one foot, drunken and naked at the same time. So a thinker is, while drawing conclusions, trapped in his logical step-by-step world that for some moments concentrates on only one issue. While Feeling types have the natural ability to understand people by just looking at them. Because they can compare there own known feelings with the ones, possible meetings of people around them can generate. With thinking being introverted, this process of concentration and trial and error confirmation gets even more worse. iNTj obviously have managed to shut their mouths, when being insecure, while iNTp try to share not only confirmed information, but theories that could lead to confirmed information, too, aswell.

What is best to deal with situations, when geekiness is detected, is, I think up to anyone themselves.

I think everyone has a story. And the geekiest computer freak, who obviously is without the language of c++ not able to communicate at all, can become human after five beer and tell you his story. So in my opinion, to define personalities as being geekish, comes more from oneselves own lack on intrest, to get to know them, because they dont fit into an overall code of behaviour or value system. In my opinion, there are no geeks at all, unless you make them one.

And this conclusion I draw naturally, because of being a geek xD

He is is my favourite:
YouTube - Dilbert - The Knack

greetings
~entropie

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I'm sort of a geek :p and most of my friends are too, but they're mostly INTPs, so I voted for them..

sassafrassquatch

and I think Intellectual is a better term then Geek!!

Not the proper definition of a Geek.

A Geek is a person with a consuming non mainstream interest. Trekkies, Star Wars fans, ren faire, RPGs, LARPers, stuff like that. If the all consuming interest is academic such as math, science or computers then the person is a Nerd. All Nerds are Geeks, not all Geeks are Nerds.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
ISTP: Robotics, explosives, utilizing chemistry for dangerous purposes, microwaves, etc. These are the geeks that are most likely to end lacking body parts due to their geekery.

Putting things in microwaves that don't belong there is the pinnacle of geekiness.

And also yields awesome results. :yes: