Thread: Big 5 Vs. MBTI

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default Big 5 Vs. MBTI

What do you think the differences are between these two from the perspective of:
    1. How the system works
    2. What value it is
    3. How people apply them and the ethics associated with that

Attached are a couple of articles

http://www.birkman.com/news/TBM_and_MBTI_Comparison.pdf

http://www.oak.nu/binaries/files/PDF...kmanvsbmti.pdf

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

garbage

There are many differences between the two, of course. One of the systems was derived statistically and independently verified several times, while the other was not; one is empirical while the other is theoretical; one is trait-based, while the other is type-based; one is discussed in psychology texts, while the other is ignored. I'll leave it to one's imagination to determine which is which.

MBTI and Big Five are used for a variety of purposes, but they're both used for self-discovery, identification of learning styles, and so on. MBTI is suitable for these purposes, I guess, but there are better tools available. Ethically, if I'm going to be pigeonholed, it ought to be by a system that has some scientific backbone and actual validation behind it.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

1. How the system works

In general Jungian functions and the Big 5 are pretty blatantly different. For one thing the Big 5 is very simple to use and based entirely on on the surface behavior. MBTI/Functions are based on mental processes of taking in and evaluating information. Pretty big differences there, pretty defined differences.

2. What value it is

Both have pretty equal value I'd say, yet the Big 5 is more readily applied in reality because many businesses know about it. Both should be taken are separate, and just knowing the parameters that they operate should make that obvious enough.

Just like you'd apply any other typology I suppose. Use it for a method of understanding people and not scrutinizing.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)
    Likes dog liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I prefer MBTI, since I have known about it longer. The 5 model is probably better, since it is more scientific, but I think 5 traits is too many to make them easy to identify. You can't say - there's an INFJ like you can with the MBTI.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Big5 is too superficial, MBTI is made of stereotypes, jungs typology digs deep into human psyche. Because big5 is such an superficial system it works well with scientific systems that rely on statistics.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Big5 is too superficial, MBTI is made of stereotypes, jungs typology digs deep into human psyche. Because big5 is such an superficial system it works well with scientific systems that rely on statistics.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    1. How the system works

In general Jungian functions and the Big 5 are pretty blatantly different. For one thing the Big 5 is very simple to use and based entirely on on the surface behavior. MBTI/Functions are based on mental processes of taking in and evaluating information. Pretty big differences there, pretty defined differences.

2. What value it is

Both have pretty equal value I'd say, yet the Big 5 is more readily applied in reality because many businesses know about it. Both should be taken are separate, and just knowing the parameters that they operate should make that obvious enough.

Just like you'd apply any other typology I suppose. Use it for a method of understanding people and not scrutinizing.
    One of the reasons I asked about ethics is that I saw somewhere that it was OK to use the Big 5 to screen employees for particular jobs. It shocked me to hear that. That would be a big no-no with MBTI. I don't know how it would be ethical in the one case and not the other.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    One of the reasons I asked about ethics is that I saw somewhere that it was OK to use the Big 5 to screen employees for particular jobs. It shocked me to hear that. That would be a big no-no with MBTI. I don't know how it would be ethical in the one case and not the other.
    Tools such as MBTI, Big Five, and DISC (especially DISC) are alluring to the business world because they are interpreted as a speedy way to learn everything relevant that there is to know about someone else.

I would love to hear who said that it was 'OK' to use the Big Five for pre-screening and in what context. They would likely (likely!) get their ass handed to them by ethicists and psychometricians alike.

this guy puts it pretty well.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Tools such as MBTI, Big Five, and DISC (especially DISC) are alluring to the business world because they are interpreted as a speedy way to learn everything relevant that there is to know about someone else.

I would love to hear who said that it was 'OK' to use the Big Five for pre-screening and in what context. They would likely (likely!) get their ass handed to them by ethicists and psychometricians alike.

this guy puts it pretty well.
    Here are a few quotes, with links to sources:

"2. Personality Assessment:

Most personality assessments that are valid and reliable enough for pre-employment screening purposes are based on the “Big Five” model of personality. The five factors are Openness to Experience, Conscientiousness, Extraversion, Agreeableness, and Neuroticism ( or ‘OCEAN’; funny how that worked out, right? But then again, acronyms always do)."

http://www.monsterthinking.com/2011/...nt-assessment/

"Employee Selection

Psychological tests have been found to be one of the most valid and cost effective means for identifying the most suitable applicants for the job (Schmidt & Hunter, 1998). When properly conducted, selection testing can contribute significantly to your bottom line.

SIGMA offers a wide range of both personality-based and cognitive selection measures.
    Six Factor Personality Questionnaire (SFPQ)
    The SFPQ is a brief, cost-effective personality measure that encompasses and extends the "Big 5". It is ideal for use in business settings and in research. Among other qualities, the SFPQ draws on an improved model for "Conscientiousness", and has received an exceptionally positive review from the Buros Mental Measurements Yearbook (2000). In addition, items were carefully selected to minimize the effects of social desirability response bias, an issue affecting other popular measures of the Big 5."

http://www.sigmaassessmentsystems.com/selection/

"Personality Testing – Although various types of personality tests exist, most
    personality tests used in employment settings today measure five basic factors of
    personality. These factors, commonly called “the big five”, include: (1) openness
    to experience, (2) extroversion, (3) agreeableness, (4) conscientiousness, and (5)
    emotional stability. There is growing evidence of the usefulness of these factors
    in predicting job performance (Barrick, M.R. & Mount, M.K., 1991). Generally,
    conscientiousness has been shown to be the most valid of the five factors across
    different kinds of jobs but other factors such as extroversion has been shown to be
    an important component for sales and managerial jobs. In fact, the lack of adverse
    impact and the consistent evidence of validity have made personality testing a
    frequent component of selection procedures for sales professionals. Specialized
    tests designed to measure specific predispositions toward customer service have
    also been popular in call center and other service environments"

http://www.navientcorp.com/info_cent...ion_Part_1.pdf

Tri-type 639

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Here are a few quotes, with links to sources:
    Cool, thanks!

Counselors and therapists also use psychometric examinations (e.g. the MMPI) in their work, but they do not, of course, rely upon the MMPI to do their jobs for them. Tools used by organizational psychologists are similar and should be treated similarly--for now, at least, there ought to be a human in the loop.

Thankfully, even the monsterthinking.com article hints that, in companies that are smarter in organizational psychology, there is (virtually?) always an interview process to place the personality assessment in its proper context. Psychologists tend to realize that we're not yet smart enough about psychology (especially psychometrics, self-report, etc.) to trust a test to make these decisions for us. These assessments have a way of providing evidence, but, especially as of right now, they ought to be interpreted by someone. I wind up hoping that services like those provided by SIGMA Assessment are either (a) packaged with experts' analysis of results, or (b) considered to be a laughingstock by most companies.

The monsterthinking.com article certainly describes an ideal--that we should be able to answer these assessments as ourselves--but there is always going to be some level of fear that our answers are simply undesirable. I place some hope in the iterative process behind developing personality inventories, deploying them, evaluating their worth, and going back to the drawing board where they are found to be faulty.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

The MBTI is far more theoretical in nature, and more based on qualitative analysis. The 5 factor model came out of heaps and heaps of data mining, it is effectively based on quantitative analysis.

That being said, I would sooner vouch for the 5 factor model. It has received much more scientific validation, and if it should appear that the MBTI is good for being much more predictive than the Big 5, keep in mind that the MBTI's predictions are probably wrong.
    Go to sleep, iguana.