• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How did you arrive at a decision on your type?

How did you arrive at a decision on your type?

• Through taking a test (MBTI-certified or not)

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • Through studying the cognitive processes (Fe, Ti, Se etc.)

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Through reading type descriptions

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • A mixture of 1 & 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A mixture of 1 & 3

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • A mixture of 2 & 3

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • A mixture of all three

Votes: 25 52.1%

• Total voters

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
These possible methods in my eyes.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
I wish you had split out certified and non as I'm suspect on some typing I've seen.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
It's more complex than that.

Listening to my friends and hearing advises from a professional point of view played a great role in it...

redacted

a shitload of research, discussion, and self-reflection.

nocapszy helped a lot, too.

Motor Jax

MBTI Type
INFJ
the first time i took it, it was the older pencil and paper way, before the internets really took off, in 1999

then again online, in 2005

that was it

the first time, the instructor had purchased the Keirsey Temperament Indicator and had everyone in the class take it

it was totally foreign to me, and i didn't know what the heck the letters mean

but once he read the results, i suddenly felt stalked for some reason

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
The interesting thing for me was that when I first took the MBTI, I tested as an INTJ.
I read the description and realized that this wasn't me but it was what I wanted to be. I wanted to find out what I really was.
I did some research from there and at first got to INTP, then INTP/INFP, then INFP/ENFP, and now I feel 100% confident that I am an INFP.

I now test as INFP- but I think that is because I understand the MBTI differences between 'objective' and 'subjective' better now, being subjective doesn't mean a person is irrational.

heart

heart on fire
I took the long version of the MBTI (certified) in college as part of career conuseling, I came out 50-50 split in the J-P section and nearly 50-50 split in the F-T section. Reading even a little about the type descriptions made plain to me that I was a Feeler and then years later I took cognitive functions test online and read more about the difference between Fe and Fi to arrive at INFP. Once I had learned about what Fi is, it was clear that this is my main mode of operation. The descriptions of Ne also fit well.

dancinglissa

MBTI Type
INFJ
I took an online test, had no idea what it meant, so I did research and was like "ooohh that's me."

Hirsch63

MBTI Type
IS??
I'm still not sure about it...Every test that I took for awhile was ISTJ, but some of the descriptions just didn't ring true for me. I really made an effort to be as objective as possible and occaisonally I would come up ISFJ/P. I did some comparisions with a number of on-line sources (to sort of triangulate my position) and have parked myself at the "ISxj" preference until I can understand more. I sometimes feel like I am shooting at a moving target.

I'd certainly be interested to have the input of those knowledgeable.

Badlands

MBTI Type
INTP
Well, I initially took tests and got INTP, but later when I wanted to verify it I studied 2 and 3.

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Someone online told me she thought I was an INTP, and briefly told me what INTP meant. Then my college career counselor gave me the MBTI, and I came out INTP. *shrug*

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
I had to do a paper and pen MBTI test for work last year (it was a lot longer than the online ones, IIRC) and tested as INTP. I read up on it, did the usual 'OMG that's me, I'm not a freak after all' thing. I've since done some online tests and talked about it with a few people who know me well. (ISTP and INTJ were other possibilities when I thought about it a bit more)

I'm reasonably confident I'm INTP, but I'm open to other ideas.

Entropy

MBTI Type
INTP
Started off with online tests, moved onto MBTI resources online and forums. For a while I was questioning whether or not I was an INFP, but after some reading on INFP's dominant function, meeting and spending a lot of time with my ENFP friend, I've realized that I just really don't relate to Fi.
Then I thought maybe I'm a tame ENTP, just because my Ne can be pretty rampant at times, but the differences between myself and my ENTP friend are quite pronounced, mainly due to the fact that my Ti is more developed than his, and he relies on Ne more heavily than I do (even when I'm letting loose in social contexts I'm still quite deliberate with my words, for example).
So, for now, I'm content with saying that I test as an INTP with a well developed secondary function.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
I took a test because I was bored, found the description of the result to be very accurate, and I started to look up a bit more on it.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I first took it when i was in therapy (it was certified) and i came out INFP, I took it again when i signed up for OKcupid a few years ago and came out as INFP again, and i was interested in finding out what it actually meant. :)

I've done a little bit of self doubting here and there, but i'm quite positive i am an INFP.

MEC

:hi:I used all 3 to type me :yes:but I am only using 2 and 3 to type my husband as he won't do the test:cry:,I did the test for him I don't know how accurate that would be result INFP.:doh:INFP or ISFP by method 2 and 3.:huh:

Usehername

On a mission
I picked "reading type descriptions" because I took the test online in some internet cafe, had no idea what my results "INTJ" meant, and then the next week we went over them as a group in the middle of nowhere (literally... like the nearest gas station was an hour away and the only white people we had seen in a day's drive were the ones that were in our group) so the only resource I had to figure stuff out with was the type descriptions the group leaders had on hand.
I instantly and deeply identified with the INTJ description. Then I went around and made everyone in the group tell me their type, and I went and read up on their type, trying to figure out how to better relate to them. Then I came home and learned more through self-study when I had the resources.

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT
Took test in health class. Did not bother to do more research on it.

Few months later I saw it come up somewhere "Praise Jebus, I found myself!!" and I went researching some more. Every test put me as INTJ with the N being slightly expressed. The N was ambiguous at times so I researched some more and found out that I was indeed InTJ.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Everytime I take the test I get INTP, but a combination of 2, 3, and talking to ISTPs has led me to believe I'm ISTP.