• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENTJ's and aggressive avatars

LeonardoLestat

MBTI Type
ENTJ
A quick survey of the avatar choices of prominent ENTJ's I've seen around various boards:

- general
- drill sergeant
- smarmy James Dean with a cig
- western gunfighter
- ugly mean-lookin dude
- lone ranger

I notice a pattern. Do they see themselves as being like these people, or are they playing up the stereotype to make fun of themselves?

maybe they are making fun of the estj :smile:
seriously, im drawn to avatars with vampires on em en stuff, but im more into that subtle aggression... i identify with both the aggressor and the peacemaker so thats contradicting.
i dunno, i dont think they thought it through that much, its just 'i have to have an avatar, hmmm this one's right'.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A quick survey of the avatar choices of prominent ENTJ's I've seen around various boards:

- general
- drill sergeant
- smarmy James Dean with a cig
- western gunfighter
- ugly mean-lookin dude
- lone ranger

I notice a pattern. Do they see themselves as being like these people, or are they playing up the stereotype to make fun of themselves?

Well, ofc there is a bloody pattern. Why would a person not pick what he/she thinks is cool or representative? Oh, and by the way... Add deities and Sith lods to the list :D

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Analyze this avatar and tell me what it says to you.

It says you're conflicted between your masculine and more dominating side and your more feminine side that society would like you to fully adopt.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like ENTJ's and their aggressive avatars.

Silent Stars

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
INFJ: Calm imagery.
For the most part, yeah (especially my current Myspace background lol), but here are some of the others I've used over the years (not all of these are edited the way I had them):

thefuneralorchestra3.png

AMENTA_recasus1.png

post-455617-1172627494.jpg

lucy2.jpg

lucy.jpg

crest.jpg

DS.jpg

ap.jpg

dg.jpg

Silent Stars

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
hahaha, ok...well, I happen to appreciate dark art just as much as stuff that's really pretty.:wubbie:

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Umm.. when is someone going to state the obvious.

ENTJs are generally seen as agressive types in the online-stereotype community, so the notion is reinforced, agressive people identify as ENTJ even if they're not...creates an echo loop of misinformation that perpetuates the myth.

As so often happens in these forums.

DUH.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Personally, I think it's more about scoring as ENTJ and then learning about all the compelling stereotypes.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Eye pictures seem to capture "intensity". those who know me IRL often describe me as intense

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Umm.. when is someone going to state the obvious.

ENTJs are generally seen as agressive types in the online-stereotype community, so the notion is reinforced, agressive people identify as ENTJ even if they're not...creates an echo loop of misinformation that perpetuates the myth.

As so often happens in these forums.

DUH.
The "obviousness" of a conclusion is a good clue for it to be, in fact, prematurely concluded.

As stereotypes are, in general, concepts reserved for those others, less people are probably prone to type themselves by the stereotype than they are to type the others.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
The "obviousness" of a conclusion is a good clue for it to be, in fact, prematurely concluded.

As stereotypes are, in general, concepts reserved for those others, less people are probably prone to type themselves by the stereotype than they are to type the others.

Unless the stereotype is percieved by that person or other parties to be flattering.

Or, like my friend in high school once said, "I'm Asian, therefor I'm just better at life".

I suppose I could strike back about obvious conclusions with a pseudo-intellectual reference to occam's razor or something :rolleyes: Seriously, the last thing I want to get into is one of those discussions.

Who are you quoting at this point anyways?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Unless the stereotype is percieved by that person or other parties to be flattering.

Or, like my friend in high school once said, "I'm Asian, therefor I'm just better at life".

I suppose I could strike back about obvious conclusions with a pseudo-intellectual reference to occam's razor or something :rolleyes: Seriously, the last thing I want to get into is one of those discussions.

Who are you quoting at this point anyways?
I'm quoting myself and referring to you. Self-reinforcement may be a factor in self-typing, but it's far off from being the greatest factor. Paints an awfully lame picture of ENTJs. Suppose this is the picture you wanted to portray, so now we have your opinion but nothing more.

The Razor doesn't include a mutually agreeable method to remove the redundant; it just provides an easy, personal stamp-of-approval for one's favorite theories - see, I've cut the redundant, now look what I've achieved.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm quoting myself and referring to you. Self-reinforcement may be a factor in self-typing, but it's far off from being the greatest factor. Paints an awfully lame picture of ENTJs. Suppose this is the picture you wanted to portray, so now we have your opinion but nothing more.

The Razor doesn't include a mutually agreeable method to remove the redundant; it just provides an easy, personal stamp-of-approval for one's favorite theories - see, I've cut the redundant, now look what I've achieved.

I don't delude myself for one second into believing that most people post on these forums with actual good information about their types.

This is a problem about misinformation about the internet, and every type including ENTJs sometimes behave in ways that make themselves part of the problem. I'd bet that "self-reinforcing" is very often the greatest factor in typing, especially with people who are so obsessed with thier tough-guy avatars:rolli:

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I don't delude myself for one second into believing that most people post on these forums with actual good information about their types.

This is a problem about misinformation about the internet, and every type including ENTJs sometimes behave in ways that make themselves part of the problem. I'd bet that "self-reinforcing" is very often the greatest factor in typing, especially with people who are so obsessed with thier tough-guy avatars:rolli:
Obsessed? Try casual :rolli:

MBTI manuals, as I've understood, encourage for person to find a well-fitting type. I've seen no reason why ENTJs would be particularly prone to self-flattery, or why particular "clues" would be particularly bad when it comes to ENTJ. I've seen that many people have raised the ENTJ type as some antithesis to their existance, along with other ExxJ's.. so I see why it has gathered a kind of unneeded attention.

Perhaps some people see ENTJ as a "I win" button. It's hard to stay clear of simplicities. Many of our members are not more than perhaps 15 years of age, 18.. 20? Perhaps we could lessen the unwanted influence of ENTJ by displaying what kind of winners the other types can be. I've always opposed the idea of J persisting and P bailing out, resulting in J winning and P losing :rolli:

ENTJ and ENTP were pointed out as the most desired types, i.e. "want to be that type" in a MBTIc poll some time ago. I identified as ENTP back* then and feared how the biased view on the subject was unconstructive for proper typing. Perhaps we suffer some of that as ENTJs then. Still, there's the real ENTJ population, as there's real population of any type. Then there's people who've been trying to find their type for as long they've know about type, like me.

Still, it's an unhelpful simplification to blurt out the things you do. Wouldn't you care to elaborate and offer a more balanced view before you communicate your ideas?

*No, not a result of how a popular image that type had:alttongue:

Schrödinger's cat

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I don't see how my "joker" cat avatar could be considered aggressive. Unless there is an INFJ PETA activist lurking...come out, come out, wherever you are! ;> Also, I will rotate avatars from time to time. This one just seemed entertaining as Halloween is near. I will go back to something else later.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
You know, if it helps, the gorilla in Santtu's avatar doesn't look 'aggressive.' Powerful, perhaps, but not aggressive.

If you notice, he's smiling at you. :)