• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

satisfying N-S conversation

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's not only a matter of being able to follow someone or finding them interesting, but also of considering their view & way as valid or valuable.

You mention that you'd rather do than talk about something. Well, there I am at an impasse with many ISTPs. Not to say I cannot or do not have interesting discussions with them, but I'd often rather read or analyze or imagine than DO. I've found when they discover this, they are contemptuous towards me, and my view & way is invalidated or devalued, even if they can grasp what I say intellectually and sometimes find me "entertaining".

Honestly with the way MBTI is setup and typing I can easily see why this is the case for you...as with pretty much ALL typing systems I have come across...I dont have the standard "dichotomy" as in "pros/cons" that most "ISTPs" have. I tend to match the PROs, but my CONs line up completely different. I have seen this in ALOT of other systems in regard to me and I see this as well as I have been told this. You would rather talk...k, how would 5-6 hours on the phone talking and hanging up because its 3AM and I gotta get to work the next day. Still do this at times to this day as friends, we also IM alot. Just not as much as before....and to give you an idea of before...atleast 5 hours a night of talking or IMing was normal. So when I say cut back or not as much you have to understand where I am coming from. I also dont devalue, invalidate, nor am I contemptuos toward Ns either...ok maybe some Ns, but that tends to be more toward Js then Ns really. I find more of an issue between J/P split then I do N/S. Something about that controlling that is J, my P side likes to fight.

Anyway...you can argue if you want. I am just gonna have to disagree with the generality as I still do not believe that N/S is the cause of what you see nor does it do any real justice. It just creates just as much an issue as it does solve a problem. Grouping at that high a level is WAY to broad. Its like stealing from peter to pay paul. INFP tries to group me with INTJs all the time...only I dont have that "Negative" side that she sees, just as I dont have that negative side that most who are typed as "ISTP" have. I have a hole other set of "issues" to deal with.

What comes to mind with MBTI is "Inherent flaw in the design of the system" which you have to get around and to do this you must understand "half" types....it would kinda be like "wings" with enneagram.

A

Anew Leaf

Honestly with the way MBTI is setup and typing I can easily see why this is the case for you...as with pretty much ALL typing systems I have come across...I dont have the standard "dichotomy" as in "pros/cons" that most "ISTPs" have. I tend to match the PROs, but my CONs line up completely different. I have seen this in ALOT of other systems in regard to me and I see this as well as I have been told this. You would rather talk...k, how would 5-6 hours on the phone talking and hanging up because its 3AM and I gotta get to work the next day. Still do this at times to this day as friends, we also IM alot. Just not as much as before....and to give you an idea of before...atleast 5 hours a night of talking or IMing was normal. So when I say cut back or not as much you have to understand where I am coming from. I also dont devalue, invalidate, nor am I contemptuos toward Ns either...ok maybe some Ns, but that tends to be more toward Js then Ns really. I find more of an issue between J/P split then I do N/S. Something about that controlling that is J, my P side likes to fight.

Anyway...you can argue if you want. I am just gonna have to disagree with the generality as I still do not believe that N/S is the cause of what you see nor does it do any real justice. It just creates just as much an issue as it does solve a problem. Grouping at that high a level is WAY to broad. Its like stealing from peter to pay paul. INFP tries to group me with INTJs all the time...only I dont have that "Negative" side that she sees, just as I dont have that negative side that most who are typed as "ISTP" have. I have a hole other set of "issues" to deal with.

What comes to mind with MBTI is "Inherent flaw in the design of the system" which you have to get around and to do this you must understand "half" types....it would kinda be like "wings" with enneagram.

You know... I sort of wonder if this is a something where the strongest attribute is the one that can cause the most individual chafing (thats what she said, hahaha). For me, my highest score by far is the one of the N-S scale and my lowest score is on the P/J scale.

Hmm... anyways, just a random thought after reading your post. :)

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Honestly with the way MBTI is setup and typing I can easily see why this is the case for you...as with pretty much ALL typing systems I have come across...I dont have the standard "dichotomy" as in "pros/cons" that most "ISTPs" have. I tend to match the PROs, but my CONs line up completely different. I have seen this in ALOT of other systems in regard to me and I see this as well as I have been told this.

The systems are not fully comprehensive of personality and never will or can be; this is true and I don't mean to imply that people must be exactly as descriptions make their type out to be. It's also not my intent to imply there is some hopeless gap between Ss and Ns or that each will get along much better with "one of their own kind" or anything of that nature. I think awareness of differences, whether type related or not, can help bridge communication gaps, and it's from this perspective that I'd like for people to discuss this topic, not to degrade other types or invalidate personal experiences that don't fit a theory or other people's experiences. It's fine to say "I don't fit this association with Ss", but that doesn't change my experience nor does it invalidate the discussion as a whole.

You would rather talk...k, how would 5-6 hours on the phone talking and hanging up because its 3AM and I gotta get to work the next day. Still do this at times to this day as friends, we also IM alot. Just not as much as before....and to give you an idea of before...atleast 5 hours a night of talking or IMing was normal. So when I say cut back or not as much you have to understand where I am coming from.

haha...nooooo, I am still an introvert. Talking for more than 30 min on the phone drives me nuts. I only have a phone out of necessity.... My ESFP ex would keep me on the phone for like 5 hours, and yes, we had great conversations sometimes, but dear god, I needed SPACE. I don't mean to imply there is no appreciation for my style from them or that I don't enjoy theirs (in regards to Ss, SPs & even ISTPs), etc. I just mean that there is a consistent trend in HOW we don't align, and I think the S/N differences can explain why, or some aspect of why, as the why tends to be multi-faceted. When I say I'd rather talk than do, I mean that I connect with people in that manner more so than sharing activities. It doesn't mean I like to talk a LOT.

I also dont devalue, invalidate, nor am I contemptuos toward Ns either...ok maybe some Ns, but that tends to be more toward Js then Ns really. I find more of an issue between J/P split then I do N/S. Something about that controlling that is J, my P side likes to fight.

I don't doubt that you don't do those things.... but they are done by others, and I see a pattern in who does it in what way and how that connects to their type. I'm looking at a general overview; a case-by-case consideration will always show exceptions. I have much better conversations with and am understood much better by my ISFJ mom than my ENTP or ISFP dads (and yet, one is a fellow NP & the other FP); that's because whatever N/S divide there may be (and there is one), there is more there for us to connect over so that N/S divide & Fe/Fi divide & other differences are bridged, even if it just comes down to mutual willingness at times.

I totally agree that a person's dominant preference will be tempered by the aux and even the tert and many, many non-type factors.
This doesn't mean you can't isolate an aspect and see how it affects interaction and communication. It's not like I'm trying to explain every facet of my interaction with people based on N/S stuff.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've had massive arguments with my ISTP boss, it turns we are saying the same thing, most of time. He is an extrodinary clever man, yet we misunderstand each other all the time. There's only so many times you can have essentially the same argument without noticing a pattern. It could be Ti vs Fi or it could be Se vs Ne. Take your pick. Considering his nickname for me is space cadet and teases me about some of my more left field ideas. He almost never teases me about how emo I am, it wouldn't be reaching to say this is an S vs N thing. Yet it means nothing when everyday we are faced
With almost insurmountable communication barriers between allied health and nursing staff. It's a running joke.
What I'm saying is the divide exsists but it's more like dialect problem of neighboring tribes, than say speaking in Japanese to Germans. All is forgotten between the two tribes when their shared territories are threatened by a man eating bear.
*disclaimer, I'm not insulting nurses in general. This seems to be a workplace culture thing.*

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have another thought to add...most people who been around know that Orangey once identified as INTP. She, herself hadn't changed, and I'm guessing nobody has issues communicating with her, so therefore it must be in people's heads. She maybe has a point there. Except for this absurd if there is no concrete proof, it doesn't exist attitude. How do you know photosynthesis exists? You can't see it happening?
Upon reflection, I have more trouble with T vs F communication, but there is superiority complex going on there too. Not to mention the Infp hate that resurges every so often. I like the sensors, this place would be boring without their input.
I hope no-one is upset this, esp. Orangey. I just thought your position on this was particularly pertinent.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think that for me IRL the biggest communication divides often show up over J vs P, and especially IxxJ vs ExxP.

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've had massive arguments with my ISTP boss, it turns we are saying the same thing, most of time.

This is what frequently happens in my experience with types that take the opposite orientation with every function.

You are either:
Ne Fi Te Si
Fi Ne Si Te

Whereas an ISTP is
Ti Se Ni Fe

I often have this sort of miscommunication with NFJs and STPs. I do not usually have it with NFPs.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The systems are not fully comprehensive of personality and never will or can be; this is true and I don't mean to imply that people must be exactly as descriptions make their type out to be. It's also not my intent to imply there is some hopeless gap between Ss and Ns or that each will get along much better with "one of their own kind" or anything of that nature. I think awareness of differences, whether type related or not, can help bridge communication gaps, and it's from this perspective that I'd like for people to discuss this topic, not to degrade other types or invalidate personal experiences that don't fit a theory or other people's experiences. It's fine to say "I don't fit this association with Ss", but that doesn't change my experience nor does it invalidate the discussion as a whole.

haha...nooooo, I am still an introvert. Talking for more than 30 min on the phone drives me nuts. I only have a phone out of necessity.... My ESFP ex would keep me on the phone for like 5 hours, and yes, we had great conversations sometimes, but dear god, I needed SPACE. I don't mean to imply there is no appreciation for my style from them or that I don't enjoy theirs (in regards to Ss, SPs & even ISTPs), etc. I just mean that there is a consistent trend in HOW we don't align, and I think the S/N differences can explain why, or some aspect of why, as the why tends to be multi-faceted. When I say I'd rather talk than do, I mean that I connect with people in that manner more so than sharing activities. It doesn't mean I like to talk a LOT.

I don't doubt that you don't do those things.... but they are done by others, and I see a pattern in who does it in what way and how that connects to their type. I'm looking at a general overview; a case-by-case consideration will always show exceptions. I have much better conversations with and am understood much better by my ISFJ mom than my ENTP or ISFP dads (and yet, one is a fellow NP & the other FP); that's because whatever N/S divide there may be (and there is one), there is more there for us to connect over so that N/S divide & Fe/Fi divide & other differences are bridged, even if it just comes down to mutual willingness at times.

I totally agree that a person's dominant preference will be tempered by the aux and even the tert and many, many non-type factors.
This doesn't mean you can't isolate an aspect and see how it affects interaction and communication. It's not like I'm trying to explain every facet of my interaction with people based on N/S stuff.

Strangely, I am not a phone person either...never have been.

Esseintially what i am saying is that N/S devide is a probably a 50/50 where as half the time it helps and half the time its blowing smoke. So to get down and seperate it even further by lots of unique cases is where hopefully some light is shed. And no i cannot invalidate experiences, but you can shed furtherlight on them. Just like orangey, i tested INTP first as well, but didnt fit in because we went about things backwards normally. And while troubleshooting they werent actually open beyond MBTI type analysis. I wasa member of intpc and they it was interesting there troubleshooting skills seemed to involve being stuck in a pattern such as MBTI instead of taking on case by case basis and in essence that even further subjects them to what is MBTI instead of opening theres eye and merging MBTI with life. When u stick with what is defined you are essentially trapped in a box someone else created...all patterns are the same way...you are essentially stuck in all these little boxes hoping from one to another. I have an ownership issue...i take ownership and work on expanding out those boxes. I do this with everything.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Except for this absurd if there is no concrete proof, it doesn't exist attitude. How do you know photosynthesis exists? You can't see it happening?
Proof is different from being visible, and it's also not an all-or-nothing event.

Proof>evidence>reasoning>speculation>wanting something to be true so pretending it is

There is proof that photosynthesis exists. There is evidence that certain enzymes are necessary. There is reasoning that two enzymes interact a certain way given their structure. There is speculation that maybe if we changed this enzyme, it might do something completely different. and so on.

Since typology is not science, it's not going to be as strongly supported by evidence, but it's also not out of line to ask for some kind of hard facts to back up your statements, particularly when the statements are controversial or otherwise strange. If no hard facts are possible (even things like surveys are better than nothing), it's preferable to include the reasoning underlying the statement, if going further than simply sharing your experiences with one person. Unless you like having a "discussion" where each side just blatantly makes things up or blindly assumes that every esfj on the planet is just like their esfj ex, or heaven forbid, every S on the planet is just like their ESFJ ex...

These sorts of conversations are often heavily dominated by INxxs who are likely to prefer a few close friendships and therefore have a low sample size to draw from, and I see far too many statements like "my 2 [rarely even confirmed] S friends are like this, therefore Ss are like this" with no clear reason why such wild generalization is likely to be accurate.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
S and N make for amazing creative collaborations. I worked with a couple of strongly Si individuals on some creative projects and their sense of how to effectively apply the ideas concretely and their ability to edit and see any flaw in the details were especially valuable. I work really hard on details and so might be able to remember an above average amount when I'm focused, but it is pretty amazing to work with someone who is gifted with details. Si can internalize what a creative work "should" be like in high resolution, and so they can tell when the smallest thing is off.

I think there are a lot of different sorts of conversations that could happen between N and S, and so many would be interesting to me, and some wouldn't. Nature would be a great topic creating intersections between the two.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Proof is different from being visible, and it's also not an all-or-nothing event.

Proof>evidence>reasoning>speculation>wanting something to be true so pretending it is

There is proof that photosynthesis exists. There is evidence that certain enzymes are necessary. There is reasoning that two enzymes interact a certain way given their structure. There is speculation that maybe if we changed this enzyme, it might do something completely different. and so on.

Since typology is not science, it's not going to be as strongly supported by evidence, but it's also not out of line to ask for some kind of hard facts to back up your statements, particularly when the statements are controversial or otherwise strange. If no hard facts are possible (even things like surveys are better than nothing), it's preferable to include the reasoning underlying the statement, if going further than simply sharing your experiences with one person. Unless you like having a "discussion" where each side just blatantly makes things up or blindly assumes that every esfj on the planet is just like their esfj ex, or heaven forbid, every S on the planet is just like their ESFJ ex...

These sorts of conversations are often heavily dominated by INxxs who are likely to prefer a few close friendships and therefore have a low sample size to draw from, and I see far too many statements like "my 2 [rarely even confirmed] S friends are like this, therefore Ss are like this" with no clear reason why such wild generalization is likely to be accurate.
I don't disagree with any of this. My point was more about discarding possibilities before being fully explored. What maybe true in one person's life shouldn't be disregarded and discarded because the other person hasn't experienced anything of the like. I'm not talking loopy theories, but possibilities that are pretty reasonable. It's right to be skeptical, and expect some sort of proof or evidence. If the Theory is flawed, do offer up some thing that seems more reasonable. Just don't dismiss entirely, because you personally have not experienced, or seen it. It's not all or nothing.
You can't Prove concretely your father loves you, you have to infer from his actions.
My example with photosynthesis was chosen because you can't see it with the human eye, but you have to break it down and examine it. In truth, you still have to take a fair amount on faith, inspite of enzymatic extraction etc. because an everyday person just doesn't have access to appropriate equipment.
This all moot though as I happen to think the more savy the people involved the less N-S accounts for communication issues. When there is disparity of intellectual capacity on either side that's where the trouble lies.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
This all moot though as I happen to think the more savy the people involved the less N-S accounts for communication issues. When there is disparity of intellectual capacity on either side that's where the trouble lies.

Sure, but then the issue is divorced entirely from S/N, which is what I've been trying to say this whole thread is the case.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sure, but then the issue is divorced entirely from S/N, which is what I've been trying to say this whole thread is the case.

No its not...com'on...Ns are smarter then Ss :doh: That essentiall means everything is a communication issue has to do with N/S as N/S = Smart/Stupid. Its simple math.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
No, it's saying there's a shared ASPECT, not that the entire style is the same. This shared aspect is roughly referred to as an "S style", but if you want to nitpick wording, then it's technically an aspect of their individual style. And of course this is in general; there are exceptions to such patterns, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

What "patterns?" Please describe this irreducible S pattern of communication that apparently cuts across all social and intellectual boundaries with at least enough frequency to convince you that you're right.

If you want to ignore Jungian theory, fine. I post a direct quote from the creator of this theory about what the functions are and you refuse to acknowledge it.

Did you want a cookie for it? Or did you seriously think that reading that quote would necessarily lead me from the darkness of my ignorance to the shining light of your viewpoint?

If that's not what you meant by "acknowledging," then, well...I don't know what to say to you. Should I pat you on the back for your information retrieval skills?

We can't discuss this further then because we're not coming from the same foundation of what this theory actually is and what it means.

You're right, it's the bolded that is the problem here. Specifically, you are insisting that Jung passage that you quoted means that Ss and Ns will have fundamental communication differences. When I called that into question, you resorted to telling me that I don't understand Jung or what he was saying, as if reverting to the words of that old bastard proves anything at all about the specific meaning that you're extrapolating from his writing. News flash! It doesn't. That's called circular reasoning.

You're also not addressing any of my points with an actual counter argument. You're just kicking & screaming & crying, "That's not real".

I'm not the one making positive claims, so the burden of proof is not on me. That you think it is, though, indicates that your assumptions about the subject provide you with quite an absurdly bloated sense of entitlement.

Seriously, this is what's happening, people:

1. Jung makes a (very) vague statement to the effect that S = senses telling you something exists, T = specifying what that something is, F = deciding whether I like it, and N = why it exists, and what that means.
2. Some people in this thread assert that Jung's statement means both that there are fundamental cognitive differences between S and N people, and that it would naturally follow that there would be fundamental communication differences along S/N lines, and that these could easily result in communication difficulties between S and N people.
3. I challenge this by saying that ALL of the above assumptions are nonsense - that they are neither entailed by theory nor empirically proven, that anecdotes are useless because the motivation to confirmation bias, which is more than likely rooted in some sense of superiority, is too strong, and that even in the absence of such motivation it is impossible to separate what's real from the perspective and interpretation of the observer.
4. I get told that I just don't understand the theory, because otherwise I'd see the truth that the conclusions in #2 are entailed by #1.
5. I also get told (erroneously) that I'm dismissing people's experiences, even though it should be clear to anyone with a brain that I'm dismissing their interpretations.

Not at the expense of shutting down all communication of the matter so that it cannot be explored and understood why people are forming those impressions to begin with. Here, there is just a complete denial and insistence that others are delusional or bad at typing.

Again, I'm denying interpretations, not realities. Person A may indeed have communication issues with person B - that much can be determined - but nobody else knows any better than I whether it's because person A is a sensor and person B is an iNtuitive.

Also, disagreement != shutting down discussion.

It seems that people want to toss aside all patterns of differences in types because they take erroneously it as an implication that some are superior. So you can hardly discuss differences in type, including these associated patterns in strengths and weaknesses, without someone getting needlessly offended. The whole "any type can be any way" attitude is completely at odds with personality theory in itself. What is the point of a personality system if there are no parameters to distinguish types from one another? If the type does not affect visible personality & its traits, then how can the system be categorizing personality by these types?

The question isn't whether there are differences between types...we can see that there are all kinds of differences between people IRL, so it's not hard to believe that many of these can be organized into the more or less loose categories of types. The question is rather which of these differences is type related, and how?

Where we run into a problem is when differences, whatever they may be (and, indeed, however small or particular to a given context), are uncritically accepted as being one of those type-relevant differences. This thread is a great example of this because it seems that, "yes, this is an S/N difference!" is the default assumption for any difference mentioned, and it's incumbent upon the critic to prove that it's not. Is that not backwards?

Add to this the fact that the concrete instances of S/N communication differences/issues brought up in this (and other) threads are usually very easily and transparently (if not totally) intelligence differentials, and the topic becomes offensive on top of being senseless in a more abstract sense.

What are these "more probable" factors?

I guess you didn't read the entire thread, because numerous "more probable factors" have been proffered, by myself and others, as alternative explanations for the communication problems/differences being erroneously attributed to S/N.

I have not seen this mentioned in anyway other than childish "Not true!" whining and insistence that a person must be only typing others as S by noting a different communication style.

1. The "not true" replies have almost all been accompanied by "it's intelligence/interest/knowledge/compatibility/interaction style/openness, instead." I guess you ignored those?
2. If you admit that S/N differences can be distinguished clearly enough in communication to form patterns, then "typing others as S by noting a different communication style" is a perfectly valid corollary. That is, unless you want to outline specifically and explicitly what the "true" differences are and how to identify them.

It's not only a matter of being able to follow someone or finding them interesting, but also of considering their view & way as valid or valuable.

Sure, and what makes you think that's S/N related? You're assuming (1) that whether or not person A would consider person B's "view & way as valid or valuable" is completely unmitigated by anything other than the dom/aux perception function of person A and person B, and (2) that such differences between them would necessarily lead to person A considering person B's "view and way" as invalid and not valuable.

You mention that you'd rather do than talk about something. Well, there I am at an impasse with many ISTPs. Not to say I cannot or do not have interesting discussions with them, but I'd often rather read or analyze or imagine than DO. I've found when they discover this, they are contemptuous towards me, and my view & way is invalidated or devalued, even if they can grasp what I say intellectually and sometimes find me "entertaining".

Can't you see how many different ways this could be interpreted, even in terms of type? For instance, as a (supposed) INFP, your BtS interaction style would not incline you to initiate action, whereas an ISTP's CtC style would make action something that they valued. If viewed this way (which I'm not necessarily advocating as accurate, it's just one of many possible examples), it would paint an entirely false picture to characterize your issues with these individuals as having strictly to do with S/N, because the INxJs, who are also CtC, would have the same issues with you. And the other BtS folks who happen to be S, like ISFJ or ISFP, would likely not have this same issue with you despite being S.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
nah, I just happen to think more savy people shift back and forth, or are able to tap that third function or fourth function in an much more effective way. No evidence, other than anecdotal.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
quite hilarious that the N bias plainly evident in your statement is so invisible to you and others here who have some sort of ego investment in the idea that Ss and Ns have fundamental communication issues.

why do you think i have a special "ego investment"? if i wanted to assert that Ns were better, i would make a thread about Ns being better.

i have been having a hard time recently communicating with an S who is very important to me, in ways that seem to reflect the N/S dichotomy. when i had a hard time communicating with my INTP dad, i came forums and posted some about that and received some very helpful answers from INTPs and others who interact with INTPs. i put those ideas into practice. communication with my dad improved greatly. hence, i tried to do the same thing here.

i am asking for help. i am not proclaiming my superiority. you are welcome to read my entire history of posts here and you will find that i have always asserted equality of types and functions, because i think systems must be balanced to be effective. you will find that i hate the big 5, for example, because it clearly has "good" and "bad" answers. i think that invalidates the system and makes it more harmful than good IRL. the same holds true for the MBTI, except that i think that, when understood properly, it is fairly well balanced. as, i think, is the enneagram. both systems attempt to give equal weight to all divisions.

incidentally I DON'T CARE that i'm an N but it describes my thought patterns well. it'd be like telling me i'm biased because i have hazel eyes and talk about what life is like having hazel eyes and you think that makes me be some kind of crazy hazel-eye bigot. i didn't choose to have those eyes, i didn't choose to have thought patterns like this. i didn't know the MBTI when i was 2 years old and my thought patterns were concretizing. am i really an N? i guess you could say that nobody really knows their type, but that's the equivalent of being an existentialist nihilist and calling moot on everything. in that case it's totally pointless to even talk about anything because there's no point in having any opinions, period. there's no point in talking about type if we can't use it.

because this entire topic is fundamentally biased against Ss. You literally cannot talk about it in more than meaningless generalities without betraying that, in reality, when S/N differences are LOOKED FOR, it's really an intelligence/creativity/knowledge/interest differential that gets picked up and passed off as "see! S/N difference right there!"

is it? i don't think so. the S i am referring to above is very intelligent, more creative than me, more knowledgeable than me in plenty of areas, and has plenty of varied interests. but he fits "Si" thought patterns better and i fit "Ne" thought patterns better.

i am feeling communication trouble in that i tend to think in "cloudy" theoretics, whereas he tends to think in realities, facts, events - things i call "world pieces". things that tangibly exist. and he knows so much about the world. but sometimes it's hard for me to express to him the things that i am conceptualizing because there aren't very specific words that exist for these things. with the NJs i have spoken to it seems easier, because they dance around ideas like this too and don't always have good words for things either. with him it is harder for me to explain these nebulous ideas. the S will ask detailed questions that i have trouble answering. it seems to me that Ns are more used to using metaphorical language and vague umbrella terms... which is both bad and good, because it's easy for other people who speak like that to get an idea of what you're trying to explain, but you never actually really explain what you're trying to get at. and that's really a personal problem, because i don't always know, but i'd like to be able to better express to him what i'm thinking because i frequently think in that place and not in detail and action.

i guess you're going to read that paragraph like "oh she thinks she's all heady and conceptual and she thinks he doesn't get it because he's supposedly an S" but he's vastly more effective than i am because he has the gift of getting ideas from ideaspace into reality and action, while i nest in the pre-idea place and don't move from it. and it's not like he's not in that headspace too, but i don't think he really stays there like i do, he almost immediately realizes what he conceptualizes, bringing it into existence. but it's hard for me to have extended cloudy-theoretical conversation with him and i feel like i'm not able to share some of my most important thoughts and feelings with him because of it.

so yeah, there you have it, my horrible bias, which sounds a whole lot more like i'm sad because i can't figure out how to express really important exciting things to one of the most important exciting people in my life and i was hoping the forum could help. and that happens to very closely fit the theoretical differences in Perception between Ne and Si, so i thought N and S would be a good common vehicle to approach this issue by... seeing as that's the point of the MBTI... to use it to understand people better and to facilitate interpersonal relationships.

CrystalViolet said:

maybe i am just not as smart :laugh:

i think also the problem surfaces when there is unfamiliarity between people in regards to subjects. i know that i am a top-down learner and need to understand the big-picture concept first before i can learn details, because otherwise components of a subject feel like a million scattered puzzle pieces that i don't know how to begin to place. i am not good at piecing things together. whereas my ESFJ mom is exactly the opposite, she likes to learn the smaller components first and then she builds to the big picture. of course this may be more NeTe vs SiTi than N vs S, but it could be part of the issue.

redacted

While it's true that I'm interested in stuff that the average S-type is less interested in, I generally don't have any problems conversing with S types given we're both interested in the conversation. I mean... I have just as many problems with N types.

I'm just interested in talking about stuff most people think is a waste of time. Besides people. Everyone likes talking about people.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION]
Nah. I still have to wait for the fundamental click, when all the pieces fall into place. Kinda funny, when I figure out say friends have hooked up in secrete, or a concept I been struggling with up until that point. I find trying to find similar situations or comparisons a help, communicating that, sometimes help with the frustrations.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION]
Nah. I still have to wait for the fundamental click, when all the pieces fall into place. Kinda funny, when I figure out say friends have hooked up in secrete, or a concept I been struggling with up until that point. I find trying to find similar situations or comparisons a help, communicating that, sometimes help with the frustrations.

That look from an ENFP...err...pause...is priceless :D

Manifold

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I have only read snipets from this thread, so forgive me if this share is redundant. But I thought some contributors to this topic might enjoy this thread from PerC: personalitycafe.com/myers-briggs-forum/82742-please-help-me-take-bs-out-s-vs-n-dichotomy.html