User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by _Poki_ View Post
    Curiosity for some types is a good thing and can be better then meaningful for that person. Sometimes with those types the meaningful comes later. Kinda like a delayed response.
    That is interesting, thank you for pointing that out. I hadn't thought of it quite that way.

I think it's just hard (in some circumstances/contexts) when you realise that some interaction you had with another person meant something entirely different to them. I suppose that could be somewhat more likely across the S-N divide. But I don't think it's confined to the S-N divide or that it always happens in those interactions.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    However, I think the same could occur with an N-N conversation. I don't think N-N is automatically going to be meaningful...
    lol, so true. especially across T/F boundaries. and even Ne/Ni. and between individuals.

the gaps between people are interesting places... sometimes frightening and disheartening, and other times electrifying.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by _Poki_ View Post
    Curiosity for some types is a good thing and can be better then meaningful for that person. Sometimes with those types the meaningful comes later. Kinda like a delayed response.
    ah, good point. sometimes the important linking occurs afterwards, instead of before.

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    I hate honesty and common intrests. That must be a S/N difference?

Yes definitely.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INxP

Interesting conversation with my brother slapped me from left-field when his only comment to my 15minute ramble on theoretical physics was "Well, that just took all the fun out of that."

I'd covered every possible reply he could think of so....

.kill convo

Recognising which conversational expectations are unrealistic is essential to enjoy the various interaction styles.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    ah, good point. sometimes the important linking occurs afterwards, instead of before.
    Yeah, that happens to me alot when it comes to feelings
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    INTP

I think it's just hard (in some circumstances/contexts) when you realise that some interaction you had with another person meant something entirely different to them. I suppose that could be somewhat more likely across the S-N divide. But I don't think it's confined to the S-N divide or that it always happens in those interactions.
    I agree with your first sentence sooo much.

I have found this to be true to me, especially with SF's, of whom I have many in my life. I appreciate them but feel at a loss sometimes because it feels as if nothing I said actually made an impact at the conclusion of the conversation. Perhaps they feel the same way. More often with N's, I feel fairly understood. As though they hear the intent behind the words, as I often hear between the lines myself. I have a bad habit of listening to the background vibes and addressing them instead of what was said. I find it throws S's off when I do that.

I would have to say that I communicate more easily with N's than S's but I have very few around me and so I have adapted to a degree. I have grown lazy about trying, sigh.
    "It's never enough." The Cure

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I've had what seemed to be long meaningful conversations with S types, but I think sometimes in retrospect it turned out that I'd simply invested a lot of the "meaningfulness" myself (and they probably saw it as interesting, but not very meaningful.)
    What an interesting comment. Could you clarify the difference you see between meaningful and interesting in this context? I'm having a hard time imagining them separately since talking about a meaningful topic would be interesting, and having an interesting conversation would be meaningful (to the relationship, I guess).

Do you just mean like playful bantering/small talk vs Serious Business?
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by River View Post
    Interesting conversation with my brother slapped me from left-field when his only comment to my 15minute ramble on theoretical physics was "Well, that just took all the fun out of that."

I'd covered every possible reply he could think of so....

.kill convo
    LOL my INTP brother does the same thing, but a skilled Ne would be able to draw a loophole or create something completely outlandish - even "Sensory", to augment the Ni's material. Sometimes that means pointing out an INTP's self destructive characteristic to bring them back to the real world.

MBTI
    INTP

LOL my INTP brother does the same thing, but a skilled Ne would be able to draw a loophole or create something completely outlandish - even "Sensory", to augment the Ni's material. Sometimes that means pointing out an INTP's self destructive characteristic to bring them back to the real world.
    What's so special about the real world?
    "It's never enough." The Cure