User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I've had numerous satisfying conversations with S types. Just because a person has a different perspective to your own, doesn't mean you can't have deep interesting conversations with them. I'm part of a book club which is mostly made up of sensors and I often find their interpretation of a novel to be fascinating and insightful. While it is true that they may be a bit reluctant to compare the narrative's symbolism with Schopenhauer, it doesn't mean that they are shallow or boring.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

I think people just like to hear something new, and often like to take things on board if they like it enough. Before I knew my brothers well enough, I would not share the same sense of values that I have today. They presented to me values like loyalty and pride, you have to fight for what you believe in, and take pride in yourself. I used to consider these qualities to be irrational or irrelevant. Sometimes people show qualities that I already have, but never realized how valuable they have always been. Just like that INFP suggested to Poki, you need to have a teacher or a guide to make the best of life. A student will excel with a lot more ease than someone who goes without. This is what we come to the forum to share, this is also what we are all doing now on this forum, giving perspectives and letting anyone make of it what they will. That's what conversation is, MBTI is a classification of flavour, just like saltiness and bitterness, sure it doesn't perfectly define the ultimately greyscale universe, but neither does saltiness and nobody has had any problems with that. It's been said before, people come in all sorts of flavours, just like cashews, onions and bananas. The only time when conversation sucks is when it's onesided, or there is nothing new to share. That's when you go and try a different flavour... which is not how marriage works lol, silly Christians.
    5 3 9

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by _Poki_ View Post
    My INFP co-worker has always called me her mentor/tutor/teacher. I have yet to really figure out what that means
    It means that you have a wisdom she doesn't have and she has enough sense to recognize the difference and appreciate it.

How boring and inefficient life would be were we all the same.

A world run by NFPs = shudder.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 so/sx

My brother is an ESFP and we have great convos. S's seem to have a less messy outlook on life (ie more straightforward) that i looooooove. i also have a few S friends and it's refreshing sometimes to just talk abt clothes...or food...tht kinda thing. but not for as long as they might wanna

Three main issues but not isolated to such:
    1. Ability to communicate clearly.
    2. Ability to grasp what's being communicated.
    3. Shared interests.

But if you're looking for a non-platonic long-term relationship like marriage, I wouldn't suggest an N/S combination unless you're both borderliners of the N/S dichotomy.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    for those of you who have had satisfying extended conversation with people of the opposite Perceiving preference, what was it that made the conversation satisfying? and do you tend to find a major difference in P preferences regarding conversation IRL? or is there another facet of type or personality that plays in?
    My 3 best friends are all N guys - INFJ, ENTP, INTJ (although the last one is kinda borderline imo, sometimes more ISTJ). I don't talk with them about "big things" very often, usually it's just random banter and hanging out. I've had some hours-long conversations with each of them that have been satisfying for me, I suppose it's possible they might have been secretly bored.

I don't think I gravitate more to Ns - it just seems like there are more of them around in my social group (pretty much all university grads/grad students). So I don't have many S friends to compare them to - I have some S friends, but they're more acquaintance level. There is my ISFP ex, who was definitely not a good conversationalist, but I don't want to extrapolate anything from that to ALL S's....

What makes conversation satisfying? Any number of things. Learning new things, seeing things from a new perspective, bouncing around ideas, sharing and comparing experiences, being entertained, etc. I don't think this is necessarily different for S vs Ns, although I would imagine that every person has slightly different preferences for what they enjoy in a conversation.

That said, if you divorce the S vs N from the actual person, "N ideas" in extreme (and talked about too long) can be very boring, as can "S ideas". Luckily I've never met anyone who is limited to either set of ideas - even someone with a very strong preference will have some overlap. That's just how people are, we aren't so black and white!
    -end of thread-

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Its not about sacrifices, its about how brains processes information.
    But both have strengths and weaknessess Ns sacrafice details for the bigger, S's sacrfice bigger picture for details.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    But both have strengths and weaknessess Ns sacrafice details for the bigger, S's sacrfice bigger picture for details.
    Yeah. I always think of strong S who has binoculars stuck on their face while strong N has an unzoomable panoramic camera stuck on their face. Both are going to trip or bump into things. Kind of off topic, oh well.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Yeah. I always think of strong S who has binoculars stuck on their face while strong N has an unzoomable panoramic camera stuck on their face. Both are going to trip or bump into things. Kind of off topic, oh well.
    this is why i didn't have you on my friends list until you changed to enfp.

p.s. this is a joke before i get hate reps.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    Well you could see it like that too, but if you think it as S brains processing details instead of big picture, so there wont be no big picture perception most the time at all, so its not really a sacrifice thats being made, its just that S brains are wired to process detail, so is it an sacrifice anymore or just a different path on early development?

But if you think it in terms of personal development, like some S person in his 20's noticing that he needs to start paying more attention to big picture, then he has to sacrifice details for big picture. But if its about single thought being processed, then i dont see any sacrifice, but a preference.

Btw josh homme is the god of rock
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read