User Tag List

First 123412 Last

Sometimes I feel that Ns generalize S conversations to be about the weather, their children, work, partying, shopping, going to the gym, etc.

These people have never talked to a fun, intelligent ISxP. Or a thoughtful, quirky xSFJ. It's not like we're two different species "incapable of getting each other."

Just saying. Stop generalizing. @JocktheMotie articulated this well.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

This is the topic that will never die, isn't it?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Well you know zombies. They need to be shot in the head. Sometimes even twice, before they are laid to rest. Not before a fidget, spasm, or two, though.

Permabanned

i can talk about anything usually I like to talk about analytic topics whether its things in my environment world events etc. I used to have alot more N friends growing up I found there conversations were much more bland. I always found they skipped too many steps when explaining something like going from A C E instead of ABC.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Very interesting point of view to this subject. Topic never dying is always such an fascinating thing. People are continuint to talk and when you think the topic will be untouched for so long that it looks like its finally being burried, some newbie will find it and bring it up again. Then ofc there are other people who are new, changed their opinion or simply forgot that they posted on the topic and will keep it up for the next few weeks again, and you can only hope it would be left alone for long enough time that no one can find it, BUT there is again some newbie bumping the topic, usually just when you started to have some hope. After this shit goes on with multiple topics for years, you finally start to let go of your hope, but thats when it happen, a topic dies and tou get your hope back and can continue with your normal life without having to worry about topics dying.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Porcelain Hearts View Post
    :yim_rolling_on_the_

I think it's easier for an N to adapt to an S world. For an S to go N would be quite challenging.
    That makes no sense at all. Both S and Ns make sacrifices this is how the theory was meant to work.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    That makes no sense at all. Both S and Ns make sacrifices this is how the theory was meant to work.
    Its not about sacrifices, its about how brains processes information.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INxP

There is always a reason, for those looking, to lord it over someone else.

As to the topic, different people for different things. But my best friend is an ISTP and i can shoot the shit with him about anything, some things just need a little more explanation than for an intuitive. Tis hilarious to watch his head explode when a mutual ENTP friend gets going though xD

The stupid, N or S, are boring in large doses. I do agree with the perspective that there is opportunity to learn from most people, interesting convos to be had.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    With both N's and S's, it really does come down to individual nuances that will make them interesting or boring to me.

I feel like ESTPs and ISTPs are sort of my complete opposite in regards to just about everything. While I may not have the same sort of instant bond with these types that I tend to have with NP types and NJs... there is almost something more worth pursuing with the STPs because it takes more work to achieve. I have been very fortunate to count @Halla74 amongst my friends and I have learned A FEATHER TON from my interactions with him. He's showed me different perspectives that don't occur naturally to me, and have helped me grow as a person because of them.

That's all I have for the moment as I am very very tired.

My INFP co-worker has always called me her mentor/tutor/teacher. I have yet to really figure out what that means
    Im out, its been fun

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I do find it really strange in a way that this kind of thing even comes up, but enough people seem to think it's impossible to have a satisfying N-S conversation that I suppose it is worth discussing.

I need to point out that I find it really hard to tell if people are N or S. (It might sometimes be extremely clear that someone is S. It is rarely extremely clear that they are N, I would say.) I'm sure that in some circles that admission would apparently disqualify me from being an N myself. But honest, I don't know how some people think they "know" so easily what someone else is. To me the N-S thing is the hardest of all to discern. I think I can tell fairly easily if someone has J or P preferences, or T or F preferences. I find those the easiest. E and I can actually be tricky because it is not always clear if the dominant function is extroverted or introverted and I think Es can sometimes come across very introverted, and Is very extroverted...

But N vs S, well, I tend to focus on whether someone is principally abstract-focused or concrete-focus, where (or whether) they perceive patterns in life, etc. But it is so hard to tell. I admit I have tended to think that if I have a close friend I have great conversations with, they are probably N. This has often turned out (after I've gotten to know them better) to be highly unlikely. I can think of at least two guys who I was pretty sure were N - probably based on some nebulous connection I felt we had. I am now both embarrassed and amused that I could ever have thought they were N (one probably ESTJ, one probably ESFP - they couldn't be much more Sensor-ish).

I think I have loads of Sensor friends. Perhaps in N-N conversations it may sometimes be possible to go farther and farther and farther without ultimately hitting that wall of incomprehension or disinterest or mild condescension and disdain (on either side). But I don't think it will always work that way.

I think that I tend to over-complicate things by over-thinking and on the whole, an S type is less likely to do so. So they can bring me back to fundamentals, which is wonderful.

Interesting conversations (or conversational trends) that I can think of with S types:

-One of my best friends, ISxJ - can talk for hours and hours with her about mutual acquaintances, world affairs, books, movies, travel... She gets a bit bored when I go on about poetry. I get a bit bored when she tells me about buying a new laundry machine. That's about it. We mostly understand each other fairly well and we're both interesting people. She's a bit more down to earth, I'm a bit more dramatic. We are quite similar in some other ways.

-ISTJ female friend who listens to my frustrations about a difficult mutual acquaintance and offers practical suggestions. ESTJ male friend who does something similar, with a bit more of I'm-a-man-so-I-will-be-gallant-and-help-you-out, which I have to admit I quite enjoy.

-ISTP male friend who has a weird and slightly juvenile sense of humour, cool, nice guy, laid back. We were both ex-pats from the same country so we used to chat about common cultural references and have a laugh, and occasionally cheer each other up a bit.

I could think of more examples if I had more time. If I had all NF/NT friends I'd probably go nuts. I get lost in the windmills of my mind enough as it is. Other Ns are not always that good at dragging me out - in some cases they could be, but in many cases they could drag me farther in.

Appreciate everyone good in your life, regardless of type. Take them as friends (or whatever) first, later see if you can figure out types and think about whether things can be tweaked for the better on that basis.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING