User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I have satisfying S-N conversations, if I know the person well enough and we share a common interest or way of thinking. For me, it's about how you talk to a person, what that person prefers to talk about, and how he or she relates to certain ideas. When I talk about philosophy with my ESFP friend, I use practical language that relates to his or my life. If I say, "in the year X, philosopher X thought..." then he may fall asleep, but if I apply those ideas in a context that's clear and relevant, then it makes sense, and we can have an interesting discussion.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I know. That's why I said earlier in the thread that people who think they're N erroneously tag others who agree/get along with/"communicate like" them as Ns. Which is why this whole thread (and really, any of the others having to do with S/N, since it is far and away the poorest understood of the dichotomies) is a bunch of bullshit.
    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Yes, I disagree with this as well. Regardless of what "official" statistics say, from looking at people I interact with in life and doing my best to guesstimate their types, I really do not see that much of a disparity between numbers of Ss and Ns. I think they are fairly equal, honestly. And of course certain types will gravitate towards certain areas and certain intellectual fields. And as you mention, there are major differences between Si dom, Se dom, and S aux types.
    No, I think there is a major population disparity between sensors and intuitives. But I think that the divide in communication, is not as vast as some would have it; and this could give the appearance that the numbers are more even. Also, sensors aren't blinded by ridiculous prejudice (or should I say, silly ideas ) against intuitors and don't feel it necessary to emphasize any divide. You only have to go to the Popular Culture and Type thread to see how often intuitors mistype people and characters as N, simply because they think they're smart, insightful, interesting and/or is someone they identify with. In other words, they will believe that person is an intuitor before they would imagine that they could admire or relate that much to a sensor - which is just plain idiotic.

I don't however, believe this population disparity confers any 'specialness' to intuitors. I think it says more about evolutionary biology and the fact that too many intuitors is detrimental and would create a poorly functioning society.

I feel like this is a very important point... there is some degree of "specialness" that has been appointed to N (I assume largely by Ns on the internet who have previously felt "weird" and alone, and are embracing N as a justification for weirdness and the separation they feel). But the distance Ns may feel from reality is an artifact of their most-used thinking processes, not a real separation, and it would be folly to assume that mental distance that results from N preference is more significant than other factors that can make us feel separate from others.
    Yes, true. I imagine my weirdness results from being a Fi-dom and a 4w5, not neccesarily because I'm a N. Hell, I've been in social situations where almost all of the people there are Ns and I still felt like a total weirdo.

The danger is when this sense of difference is transferred to hubris, and the N tries to reclaim their weirdness as a form of unappreciated genius and then project blame onto the rest of the population for failing to recognise it; and with most of the population being S, this makes for an easy target. And as a 4 (who has difficulty with this) I can tell you, people need to take care to define themselves by what they are, rather than by what they're not.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    STP

I am still stumped by this "most of the population is an S" thing. It seems like a pretty even split to me.
    Im out, its been fun

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI

My ISTJ friend and I always have good conversations. Basically, we just debate things we disagree on, but in a lighthearted manner. He's really stubborn and narrow-minded in his beliefs, so I'm never able to convince him, but it's still fun to try. I suppose I'm equally stubborn, but I at least understand (or try to understand) why he thinks that, while he doesn't seem to do that at all.

But he can never tell when I'm joking, since I always joke with a serious tone and a straight face. And I can never tell whether he truly believes what he's saying or not since his reasons are always so stupid.

Edit: And by "stupid," I don't mean ridiculous or invalid, but just that they're not really well-thought out. Basically, he believes people shouldn't do certain things because they're bad things to do. He believes they're bad to do simply because they're bad. That's why he's impossible to convince - but it's still fun debating with him.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

As a Ne dominant sensors make my life hell. But then somedays its a sensor doing a purely nice thing to me or enlightening me with a thing I'ld never had recognized alone. Heart over head.

If it was anything different, I had killed em all already by now
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by FireShield98 View Post
    But he can never tell when I'm joking, since I always joke with a serious tone and a straight face. And I can never tell whether he truly believes what he's saying or not since his reasons are always so stupid.
    Ni deadpan can be hard to pick up on in general, though. It lacks any overt pointers that they're joking. Ni doms/auxs seem to take more delight in making the joke than in sharing it with others (ie. through an expressive tone, or smile etc). I confess that I also often miss NJ sarcasm (initially anyway) and so I don't think this has anything to do with differences between S and N.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I hate to resort to truisms, but sarcasm is sarcasm. The way it's delivered is a matter of personal taste and ability. I therefore don't buy any of this "NJ humor" or "TP humor" or "Ne humor" any more than I believe that conversations are affected by the crude S/N divide.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I hate to resort to truisms, but sarcasm is sarcasm. The way it's delivered is a matter of personal taste and ability. I therefore don't buy any of this "NJ humor" or "TP humor" or "Ne humor" any more than I believe that conversations are affected by the crude S/N divide.
    I'ld give my right arm to understand you

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    I'ld give my right arm to understand you
    What are you waiting for, then? Chop away!
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

What are you waiting for, then? Chop away!
    Heart over head my girl. I will never give up