User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Default Type, Memorization, and Concepts

I wanted to know what types are better at memorization learning and what types are better at understanding larger concepts and which are better at rote learning and memorization, and also what you, dear reader, are better at on a personal level. I think this would usually be a big N vs S thing (Ns = conceptual, Ss = rote learning).

As a side note, I should probably stop making new topics now. I think this is my fourth one today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I'm starting to see you and your avatar as a cloud of odor that eminates from trashy threads.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    N/A

I hate rote learning. Hate. I only understand a concept if I know why it works, and rote learning almost never tells you that. It's just knowing what the results are.
    I don't see any invisible treasure chests.

• MBTI? ISTJ
    • Enneagram? 6 with a strong 7 wing
    • Brony? Yes
    • Stereotypes?

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Owfin View Post
    I hate rote learning. Hate. I only understand a concept if I know why it works, and rote learning almost never tells you that. It's just knowing what the results are.
    I second this.
    C#2-C#5-F#5
    3 octaves, 2 notes and 1 semitone
    Supported range: F#2-F#4-C#5

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Is it understanding concepts or memorizing concepts? Understanding them is generally the easiest part of a class, it's being able to spit them onto paper out of nowhere that's difficult. I still have fond memories of the undergrad physics course I took that required NO memorizing of anything, we were given all the formulas on the exam and just had to apply them to the concepts we had learned. So no studying necessary. That is not exactly common in university! I did very well in that class AND spent very little time studying/working on concepts, it was great.

i.e., for me, understanding concepts (is easier than) memorizing rote facts (is easier than) memorizing complex concepts

It also really depends on the amount of information you're memorizing. It's easy to memorize a page or two of random things, can be done in a few hours. It gets much much more difficult when it's a large amount of random facts, and in that case memorizing concepts becomes an easier task, since it has some organization to it.

and obviously not all concepts are created equal. wrapping your mind around how more than 3 dimensions might "look" is a lot different from, I don't know, understanding the life cycle of a tapeworm or something.

so I don't think it's really a simple answer, at least for me.
    -end of thread-

All Natural! All Good!

I definitely prefer understanding concepts. Over the years I've learned that my memory is truly atrocious, even memory aids like acronyms don't help because I forget the acronym or confuse it with another acronym.

Even with an understood concept, I can have difficulty explaining my knowledge. Even when I understand it very well, it's like a vague impression or blob in my head, so I don't know where to start when explaining it to others/ on a test.
    Strychnine is all-natural,
    So strychnine is all good.
    It's Godly and righteous,
    So eat it, you should.
    Who are you to refuse nature's will?

Don't use the multiquote; it was planted by the devil to deceive us.

Social Role: Asscrack/Piece of Shit/Public Defecator/Spiteful Urinator

A different type everyday - so no need to type me anymore. But feel free to enjoy the sound of your own asscrack.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

these seem like very different (on a conceptual level) tasks to me and not necessarily type related. and i do not think they are inversely related to one another.

for instance, i am very good at short-term rote memorization, but that says nothing about whether i understand the concept. to understand a concept i must start with an overview, so i can understand where to "fit" those details in. i don't understand how to string the details together unless i have the big picture... they all just seem a messy muddle of irrelevant facts to me otherwise. if i have the big picture, i can fit the details in and keep the memory - otherwise, the rote peaces out after a short while.

i do not personally think that there is a connection between N = conceptual and S = rote. i think Ns, especially doms, tend to need to start and end with the conceptual, and Ss would prefer to start and end with "world units" - ie pieces of reality. but that does not correspond to big picture vs rote detail - i know a Se dom friend of mine who is a big picture thinker because she tends to see things in "environments", much like i do (though hers are more temporal, and linked outside of time via Ni, while mine are more timeless and linked within time via Si).

thus i think the difference between N and S is more about theory vs reality as opposed to concepts vs rote.

so essentially as far as i understand it is like this:

Ne user - focus on big conceptual picture, made up of Si world-pieces
    Se user - focus on big environmental picture, linked via Ni connection
    Ni user - focus on series of archetypes, made up of Se instances
    Si user - focus on series of world-pieces, linked via Ne connection

and we are all best at our personal focus. but that does not necessarily have anything to do with how good we are at rote memorization. i do think Si and Ti types have the most facility with taking a set of details and making use of them, since they are experts in piecing small units together.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

yeah, what @skylights said.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ENTP

I feel like it might even have more to do with upbringing than type. Since I spent all of my high school years in Taiwan at an American school, there was a large cultural diversity. You could clearly see that the American cultured kids (not talking about race: this included Asians who lived most of their life in America) were generally better at getting concepts, and the Asian cultured kids were much better at memorizing facts and getting good test scores.

Then again, there were a couple Asian kids who were fucking amazing at both, so maybe rote learning is mostly being good at hard work, and conceptual understanding is more of a born-in thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I'm starting to see you and your avatar as a cloud of odor that eminates from trashy threads.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Rote learning and conceptual learning come hand in hand. Once you are familiar enough to know where everything is, you piece together each purpose to get the whole picture, or you get a brief big picture and then look at each part in depth. I think that you must exercise both to learn well.

Most sensors I know do enjoy focusing on specific details. I prefer to focus on the idea of a topic, some of the guys at work will discuss how many runs Clarke made in cricket, but I like to wonder why are runs important? Why are they called runs instead of points? I think this is the difference between S vs N. N topics are about ideas, S topics about facts and details, each preference can bring something to the table too, it's not like Sensors refuse to accept Intuitive insights or vice verse (unless they are dickheads, lol).
    5 3 9

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    N/A

The thing is that detail is not simultaneous with rote to me. It might be for Ns, which would be the cause of the confusion. I want to know why every piece works, and then I can build up a whole system.
    I don't see any invisible treasure chests.

• MBTI? ISTJ
    • Enneagram? 6 with a strong 7 wing
    • Brony? Yes
    • Stereotypes?