First 123

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by gmanyo View Post
    Straight up memorization is required in some areas, though. Language, for example, requires a lot of memorization, and there's not really an "understanding" component once you already know the grammar and you're just trying to learn vocabulary.
    I don't think the problem is with memorization per se (since memory is obviously a component of learning), but rather with rote methods of achieving memorization. For instance, with languages, one commits new words to memory primarily through writing, reading, and speaking on a regular basis (i.e., through use.) Flahscards with words on them, OTOH, are simply not effective at all for some people, and when they are effective, a lot of the time it's only for short term deployment on exams or some other abstracted measure of "learning."
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I don't think the problem is with memorization per se (since memory is obviously a component of learning), but rather with rote methods of achieving memorization. For instance, with languages, one commits new words to memory primarily through writing, reading, and speaking on a regular basis (i.e., through use.) Flahscards with words on them, OTOH, are simply not effective at all for some people, and when they are effective, a lot of the time it's only for short term deployment on exams or some other abstracted measure of "learning."
    I think in language you just have to do everything: flash cards, in-context-usage, writing, reading, the whole shebang. Even the stuff that doesn't "work well for you". Language learning is fucking hard, and it's best to make as many connections as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I'm starting to see you and your avatar as a cloud of odor that eminates from trashy threads.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Personally, your division isn't really helpful to describe the way I learn. I'm not sure why, since it's a sensible one.

I can't figure out languages for the life of me, regardless of the methods I use to try to learn them. I just routinely suck at them in the way that some are routinely suck at math, and it doesn't seem to be correlated to methods or effort.

I find humanities disciplines and science disciplines relatively easy to learn. I get the concepts first and then usually case-study something in detail to nail it down. After you get the concept plus one detailed example, it's pretty easy to deal with whatever else gets thrown at you on the topic.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

I learn large concept easier than the name of this concept, no matter how simple the name is, unless i can associate it with something i already know.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by gmanyo View Post
    I think in language you just have to do everything: flash cards, in-context-usage, writing, reading, the whole shebang. Even the stuff that doesn't "work well for you". Language learning is fucking hard, and it's best to make as many connections as possible.
    I think in language you just have to do everything that works for you personally, which may or may not involve a lot of rote memorization. That is, unless you're in some sort of class in which short-term memorization of long lists of words is necessary to passing.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness