User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    It is surprising that he deems it necessary, though.
    Why not? He didn't just get out of a boat and go for a walk on water. He walked on water to get from the land to the boat (because he could). No need to get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    Why not? He didn't just get out of a boat and go for a walk on water. He walked on water to get from the land to the boat (because he could). No need to get wet.
    I mean the whole god-is-human nonsense.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Jesus denied his own Godhood, and stated that only God merits worship.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

A window to the soul

-sighs-

I've explained this to you before; listening ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    -sighs-

I've explained this to you before; listening ears.
    That has not made it any more sensible.

A window to the soul

That has not made it any more sensible.
    I'm tired. (:

I know, I know, don't tell me...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I don't believe the intended point of religion was primarily to be a science, to explain the world. I believe the point of religion is to explain our relationship to the world, in the only language we can understand: metaphor.

Some are compelled to contradict what they see with their own eyes to uphold that metaphor. It's a matter of prioritizing facts vs a chosen understanding of their place in the universe.
    Yes, this is crucial. It is pointless to expect a metaphor to agree with the evidence of our senses, though. That's worse than comparing apples and oranges; at least they are both fruit. Evidence and metaphor appeal to us on different levels, and as you point out in the first paragraph, answer different questions. No one rejects the lessons of Aesop's Fables on the grounds that the tortoise and the hare weren't real.

Perhaps this is one of the distinctions that enables "logical folk" to have faith; the idea that we can believe in an idea that needn't have concrete, demonstrable form. It is the lesson, moral, or other insight behind the unfactual facts that is important.

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    Well it's safe to assume that most of us are Christians, so I'm not going to talk about Buddha.

So, people who believe in Jesus should ignore the fact that, Moses would have needed 1.3 seconds to collect a species and bring it into the ship, in order to gather all the species on Earth, if he would have lived for 60 more years from the point he started everything?

And there's more that doesn't make sense in this story.
    Yes, there is plenty in the Bible that makes no sense in a literal, factual, even historical sense. Anyone who expects that it will is either delusional or ultimately disappointed. Treated as metaphor, however, it has much to tell about human nature, our place in the world, and how people relate to God.

Non-Christians are often more accustomed or open to interpreting religious information metaphorically. Discussions of religion with Christians so often devolve into bickering about things like whether Noah really did fit all those creatures into the ark. It misses the point, especially to those of us who are not Christian.

Which of the following pictures makes logical sense to you ?
    How about these:

I put them in the same category as the other three - artwork. None are meant to make logical sense. They make artistic or esthetic sense, figurative or metaphorical sense.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ENTP

If these stories are metaphors, then can "God created the universe" part be a metaphor too ?

To me, the only logical answer regarding the existence of God is : we do not know. How can we? I don't understand.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

If these stories are metaphors, then can "God created the universe" part be a metaphor too ?

To me, the only logical answer regarding the existence of God is : we do not know. How can we? I don't understand.
    Define "create".

Yes, we cannot know, at least not in our present life. The existence and nature of God are a matter of belief, not knowledge. It takes more than logic to arrive at a non-trivial solution to the problem.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

A window to the soul

I know God exists. I had moments of fear and doubt when I could not rationalize what I was taught from childhood. I began my own journey to find the truth. I don't have any doubts now.

I understand where you're coming from.

The stories from your pictures were not metaphors.

These are all valid questions. I will reply tomorrow.

Peace to you.