User Tag List

First 123412 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    Religion isn't inherently logical. However, religion is not practiced by only illogical members of society.

What makes people religious? Are logical folk more likely to shun religion than those who are more illogical? Or less prone to using logic as their guide?

I'd like to hear opinions and experiences concerning logic and religion.
    Religion, in some ways, IS inherently illogical. It demands a suspension of disbelief. People who think logically have a harder time accepting that, and are generally less religious than people who think less logically. If they were resistant to use logic as their guide, they would, by definition, be less logical people.
    MBTI: INTP (PNIT if you wanna put it in order of strength.)
    Socionics: INTp
    Enneagram: 5w4
    Alignment: Neutral Good
    Political Stance: (usually) Very Liberal
    Religious Stance: (roughly) Secular Humanist
    Class: Wizard
    Stereotype: Geek/Hippie

Also, credit for my new avatar goes to this person. I found it on the google.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

@LarkNo, I am not implying that it is illogical.

I think that you, like so many religious people I know, are prepared to be on the offense, and to discuss how 'logical' your religion is, or how you are 'logical' and expect me to attack it.

I am not.

I asked a simple question concerning correlations. You need not attack the question.

[Also]: I'd like to say that I am not taking sides for it being inherently illogical. Not yet.

Religion isn't inherently logical. Nor is it inherently illogical. However, religion is not practiced by only illogical members of society. Implying that you can be logical and practice religion

What makes people religious? Are logical folk more likely to shun religion than those who are more illogical? (A question I wish for people to answer) Or less prone to using logic as their guide?

I'd like to hear opinions and experiences concerning logic and religion.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

in·her·ent/inˈhi(ə)rənt/
    Adjective:
    Existing in something as a permanent, essential, or characteristic attribute: "inherent dangers".
    Vested in (someone) as a right or privilege: "the president's inherent power".
    Synonyms:
    innate - inborn - native - intrinsic

I think that there are inherently logical and illogical aspects to religion.

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quick answers.
    Religion isn't inherently logical.
    Check.
    However, religion is not practiced by only illogical members of society.
    Check.
    What makes people religious?
    It's more comforting.
    Are logical folk more likely to shun religion than those who are more illogical?
    With everything being equal, definitely.
    or less prone to using logic as their guide?
    No; they are logical, they are expected to use logic.
    I'd like to hear opinions and experiences concerning logic

and religion.
    :marionette:
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

There is also a difference between focusing on working out the logic within a system, and questioning the underlying assumptions of a system. There are a great many systems of thought, religious, political, or philosophical that have a lot of internally logical connections based on a given set of assumptions. A logical thinker can master the system without questioning its foundational assumptions. Ideologies of all sorts are constructed with strong internal logic with unquestioned assumptions. This is what makes them so powerful because the person subscribing to it can reach a point of thinking that internal logic of a system itself validates the foundational assumptions. That is a false assumption - the most perfect system can be based on false premises and therefore not map to reality at all. So much damage has been done with this thinking especially in the 20th century, but it is the way that a logical mind can believe just about anything.

This is meant to be a neutral post not implying a conclusion about which systems have flawed assumptions.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I think it's illogical (hah) to assume that people are 100% logical or 100% illogical. Generally illogical people surely make logical decisions sometimes, and vice-versa. When logical people believe something illogical, it's probably because of emotion or passion. Religion would surely qualify.

Also, as the OP pointed out, religion is not devoid of logic. There are many scientists who find that science does not dispute religion.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    Anyway, I'm currently reading a book for my bible study group. It is called The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief. I only received it today, but I look forward to reading it, and perhaps reflecting upon it as well as my own thoughts on the forum.
    By Francis Collins. I just found it over at Amazon. Sounds interesting. (:

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I think it's illogical (hah) to assume that people are 100% logical or 100% illogical. Generally illogical people surely make logical decisions sometimes, and vice-versa. When logical people believe something illogical, it's probably because of emotion or passion. Religion would surely qualify.

Also, as the OP pointed out, religion is not devoid of logic. There are many scientists who find that science does not dispute religion.
    I echo what you said there.

Sniffles

I'm debating whether to get involved here or not.

Sniffles

FWIW: I think what @Antimony was arguing is that there's both rational and irrational forms of religion, and people who believe/disbelieve for similar reasons. So what's the distinction between the two and what is the general relationship between rational thought and religion? Is this roughly close to what you meant?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    FWIW: I think what @Antimony was arguing is that there's both rational and irrational forms of religion, and people who believe/disbelieve for similar reasons. So what's the distinction between the two and what is the general relationship between rational thought and religion? Is this roughly close to what you meant?
    /shame

Yes, he who words better than I.