User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post

Does this help clarify things?
    Yes it does. Thanks. Would I be right in saying this relates back to kant's "critique of pure reason" in contrast to say someone like Hume? It's been a while since I read in this area, but it's jogging my memory about the Hume-Kant debate... I do remember siding with Kant, although neitzche sort of rains on the parade.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    Carl Jung said the following in the 1930's at a college seminar:
    "The truth is this, I have had the experience of being gripped by something that is stronger than myself, something that people call God. So, I will never say that I believe that God exists. I must say I KNOW God exists!"
    We don't know what 95% of the universe consists of yet Carl Jung KNOWS (in capitals) that God exists.

Carl Jung was nothing more than an immoral astrologer who followed the Fuhrer and never apologised.

And those who follow Carl Jung are in the tradition of Romanticism, Patriarchy and Fascism.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    Honestly, if you don't mean what I've said, I have no idea what you mean by saying that you are both certain and open-minded. I don't mind if you believe in whatever deities make you happy so long as you don't hurt anyone with that belief. I really just want to know how you can be 100% certain AND allow the possibility that new information can change your mind. There is no denotation, connotation, or context that will make that little piece of what you said make any sense. Please say words that are not "because I do".

Also, I'm pretty sure Evan wasn't talking about the Feeling function, but the general term.
    Gah, you clingy rambly thing. What do you want to hear? I already answered the question.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

Gah, you clingy rambly thing. What do you want to hear? I already answered the question.
    NO YOU DIDN'T! My question was "How can you be both absolutely certain of something AND accept that new information could change your mind?". You have stated that you do that but have not said how, which is really all I want. I'll leave you alone after you answer that simple question.
    MBTI: INTP (PNIT if you wanna put it in order of strength.)
    Socionics: INTp
    Enneagram: 5w4
    Alignment: Neutral Good
    Political Stance: (usually) Very Liberal
    Religious Stance: (roughly) Secular Humanist
    Class: Wizard
    Stereotype: Geek/Hippie

Also, credit for my new avatar goes to this person. I found it on the google.

NO YOU DIDN'T! My question was "How can you be both absolutely certain of something AND accept that new information could change your mind?". You have stated that you do that but have not said how, which is really all I want. I'll leave you alone after you answer that simple question.
    Perhaps she's going on the assumption that new information won't come to light, so she may be tentatively "absolutely" certain of whatever you guys are talking about.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    We don't know what 95% of the universe consists of yet Carl Jung KNOWS (in capitals) that God exists.

Carl Jung was nothing more than an immoral astrologer who followed the Fuhrer and never apologised.

And those who follow Carl Jung are in the tradition of Romanticism, Patriarchy and Fascism.
    Carl Jung's "God" is no more than a metaphor for the totality of oneself; it doesn't take a Cartesian to figure out, then, how he reached his conclusion that he "knows" God exists. By the time he got into that theory, he was already disillusioned with his religious background, but not so much that residual elements didn't stick with him and influence his ideas/writing. There may be people out there who disagree with my interpretation, but regardless, his God shouldn't be used interchangeably with Judeo-Christian ideas. Surely, it's happened, though. Psychoanalysis in general has had an impact on Christian thought.

EDIT: The reason why he said what he did out of context (and I'm speculating) is because by that point he was already used to affiliating with religious/ spiritual individuals and he had no problem encouraging the thought of God, regardless of who heard it. His attitude toward a creator was different, I think, then anyone who might have been listening. So yes, clarity was forfeit in that interview for a moment of... what I would call... something half-assed and poor.

Jung's ideas don't correspond with what Christians consider holiness - they focus on wholeness (individuality). Another key difference is that while Jung encourages and embraces ones darkness, Christianity is repulsed by it because by Christianity holiness>wholeness. Jung's god also sets this darkness in motion; so on one hand, it's similar to many Christian thoughts in that oneself must take ownership of ones undesirables, but on the other hand, God isn't portrayed as integrating evil within himself in many Christian thoughts. I guess if your thoughts on God are more flexible then there wouldn't be much of a conflict. @Nerd Girl

Carl Jung said the following in the 1930's at a college seminar:
    "The truth is this, I have had the experience of being gripped by something that is stronger than myself, something that people call God. So, I will never say that I believe that God exists. I must say I KNOW God exists!"
    Logical Fallacy: argumentum ad verecundium
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    Perhaps she's going on the assumption that new information won't come to light, so she may be tentatively "absolutely" certain of whatever you guys are talking about.
    But...but...tentatively absolute is an oxymoron...

And whether or not new information actually comes is totally irrelevant to actual open-mindedness.

But...but...tentatively absolute is an oxymoron...

And whether or not new information actually comes is totally irrelevant to actual open-mindedness.
    Sure, it's an oxymoron...unless she was using "absolute" as hyperbole. As in: "I absolutely(not really, but as far as I can tell with the available data) *more words here*".

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    Sure, it's an oxymoron...unless she was using "absolute" as hyperbole. As in: "I absolutely(not really, but as far as I can tell with the available data) *more words here*".
    No, this is a thread about religion. In religion, things like the existence of god are absolute. I always hope religious faith is hyperbolic, but it never has been in my experience. Plus, she said it enough times in several different ways.