• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFP in school for Accounting..

kfrost

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
first off, im very new to this idea of blogging/forums, frankly i dont even know if thats the correct terminology.. but i love reading them. so i am giving it a shot because i desperately need advice

So im for sure without much doubt that i am an INFP. i have bounced around from not having the slightest clue what to do as a career to nursing to finance to computer information systems to accounting (my current field of study). i just honestly cannot seem to get a grasp on what it is that i want in life. i feel so scattered. i cant keep changing majors and careers.

what's your thoughts on the satisfaction rate of an INFP having a career in accounting?

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
first off, im very new to this idea of blogging/forums, frankly i dont even know if thats the correct terminology.. but i love reading them. so i am giving it a shot because i desperately need advice

So im for sure without much doubt that i am an INFP. i have bounced around from not having the slightest clue what to do as a career to nursing to finance to computer information systems to accounting (my current field of study). i just honestly cannot seem to get a grasp on what it is that i want in life. i feel so scattered. i cant keep changing majors and careers.

what's your thoughts on the satisfaction rate of an INFP having a career in accounting?

I am a borderline INFP that studied accounting.

Before obtaining an associate's degree in accounting, I studied engineering and manufacturing technology and in retrospect I wish I had stuck with one of those instead of going with accounting. I had bounced around and wanted to get a degree of some kind to show for it. I enjoyed the budgeting, financial analysis/projections (cost volume profit etc) and some of the basic book keeping parts of accounting, but I hated just about everything else like the reports and all that other stuff. I plan to go back to either engineering or computer science eventually. My satisfaction with accounting is very low - its also worth noting that unless you go for a bachelor's degree or higher (CPA), you will really want to get an internship while you are in school (I did not) to have any chance of gettign your foot int he door anywhere because a 2 year associate's degree in accounting without experience to go with it is just about worthless for actual accounting jobs and since 4+ years is a long time to study doign somethign you will probably hate sooner or later, I'd really advise looking at other options.

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If it works for you, nothing else matters. But you don't sound like you are satisfied with the idea of accounting. Perhaps you might want to join a field where you would encounter varied situations.

I as an ISTJ would hate accounting. Just goes to show how varied people of the same type can be.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
I hate to overgenrealise, but it sounds pretty gross to me. I'm not sure I've met anyone who truly loves accounting. If you're a stereotypical INFP, you know, being an idealist and a bit flighty in the head, I'm not sure that's a good mix. To each their own though, I don't know you irl.

Ponyboy

Insert witty line here...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I'm a pretty solid INFP with an associate's in accounting. I had a job in an accounting firm for a little while and hated it. Now my diploma is just an expensive piece of paper. Wish I had thought of engineering or something like that when I was younger. I prefer things with a bit less structure and having to figure things out rather than just a set of rules to follow which accounting seemed to be. (Unless I got one of those sweet ass Wall Street jobs where I could fleece everyone and then be like "Uh, sorry" :yim_rolling_on_the_ )

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I dropped out of Finance/Accounting for lack of satisfaction and because it made me depressed studying these subjects.

Skip Foreplay

MBTI Type
ENxP
My best friend earned his master's in accounting from one of the top ten business schools in the nation. Out of school, he got a job offer for a salary that I don't expect to make for as long as I live. He turned it down. Presently he lives with me, earning minimum wage in a helping profession. He believes that going to school was the most stupid thing he has ever done. Please be careful.