User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/sp

Default iNtuition, impatience, and losing their heads

This is a problem I struggle with all the time and seem unable to learn. Is there a way to improve my Sensing function?

As an N Three, I have the patience of bare feet on hot tar. I cut whatever corner that can be cut so I get things done as quickly as I can muster them. And it works quite well--except when it doesn't work. The frequency that I screw up at the most inopportune moments remains high, and predictably, I end up with a few times more work to undo the screwups which I could have avoided had I slow things down and do it right the first time.

But...it is awfully boring to be slow and steady! And moreover I have the problem of drifting off and losing my head in the middle of things. The last time that my head drifted (today), I miscalculated something by an order of magnitude, an equation that even 4th grade kids can do. Just because I lose my head for a second. And it is not the first time such a thing happened. It is as if I have to fuck up every day because I overlooked details. While I have been somewhat lucky that I have so far not fallen into some life-theatening crisis, it seems a disaster waiting to happen.

So I want to ask other N's: What is the best way of improving the Sensing function and overcoming absent-mindedness? What about impatience?

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

if only absent-mindedness were the domain of Ns. I'd be far more successful, I'm sure.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

I had the answer to this problem but then I noticed that Adventure Time was on TV and that got me thinking about the adventure I should be planning for my D&D campaign. I'm thinking the mines they'll be finding are gonna be filled with brainwashed miners who are helping the Sky Queen built her castle. It'll be like one of those cool gothic castles you see in eastern europe, which coincidentally, is where I'd really love to live. Slovenia looks like it would be really nice with it's forests, coastline, mountains, and crazy languages.
    MBTI: INTP (PNIT if you wanna put it in order of strength.)
    Socionics: INTp
    Enneagram: 5w4
    Alignment: Neutral Good
    Political Stance: (usually) Very Liberal
    Religious Stance: (roughly) Secular Humanist
    Class: Wizard
    Stereotype: Geek/Hippie

Also, credit for my new avatar goes to this person. I found it on the google.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/sp

My mind is more one big blank than running in all directions. It didn't prevent me from running red lights, missing stops, missing full exam items, loosing IDs and luggages, taking the wrong trains, and making embarrassing/idiotic workplace mistakes however.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

You don't so much need more perception (Se) as better judgment (Te). This is the auxiliary function for INTJ and should become relatively well-developed, for exactly the reasons you describe.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

garbage

I struggle with this, too. Slow and steady is pretty boring, but when it's necessary, you'll be glad that you know how to do it.

Practice, man. You just gotta practice noticing details or slowing down, and make it a habit of mind. Eventually, you'll learn when you need to do so and when you don't--after all, getting the gist of a situation or idea in an instant is a huge advantage--but some practice in the "stop and think" direction is key so that you know how to do it.

If it's too boring for you to practice at first, perhaps remind yourself that you are capable of avoiding any mistakes brought on by a lack of attention to detail if you've got the proper mindset for it.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Yes, because SPs are known for their patience, staying power, and "slow and steady wins the race" attitude.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

SingSmileShine

For me, I actually have to be conscious of unleashing the Sensing function. I've been caught in many a situation in which my absent-mindedness would have been nice to abandon for awhile. I have to actually say to myself, "Be aware." You know? I'm always stuck in my own head so often, and my mind is so cluttered, that I have to be aware of being aware. Make sense? xD

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Physical activity usually helps.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

Maybe getting a feel for practicality, reality, and perspiration (boring as it may be to iNtuitives) will help, as will attention to details and sensual delights, so familiar to us SPs. Sensors will often have a comfortable inattention to their iNtuition. Whenever your inferior Se piques, just remember to relax and enjoy the ride (assuming it's not overdone as inferior-style Se)
    Thinkist: not optimist nor pessimist. I am primarily competent in the enneagram.
    SX 9w1, SP 5w6, SP 3w4 | Split with the first two
    Ti-Se-Si-Ni-Te-Fi-Ne-Fe. I'm always questioning this, particularly the Si.
    Big 5/Global5/SLOAN: RCUEX