• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

iNtuition, impatience, and losing their heads

Mephisto

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is a problem I struggle with all the time and seem unable to learn. Is there a way to improve my Sensing function?

As an N Three, I have the patience of bare feet on hot tar. :shrug: I cut whatever corner that can be cut so I get things done as quickly as I can muster them. And it works quite well--except when it doesn't work. The frequency that I screw up at the most inopportune moments remains high, and predictably, I end up with a few times more work to undo the screwups which I could have avoided had I slow things down and do it right the first time.

But...it is awfully boring to be slow and steady! And moreover I have the problem of drifting off and losing my head in the middle of things. The last time that my head drifted (today), I miscalculated something by an order of magnitude, an equation that even 4th grade kids can do. Just because I lose my head for a second. And it is not the first time such a thing happened. It is as if I have to fuck up every day because I overlooked details. While I have been somewhat lucky that I have so far not fallen into some life-theatening crisis, it seems a disaster waiting to happen.

So I want to ask other N's: What is the best way of improving the Sensing function and overcoming absent-mindedness? What about impatience?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
if only absent-mindedness were the domain of Ns. I'd be far more successful, I'm sure. :dry:

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I had the answer to this problem but then I noticed that Adventure Time was on TV and that got me thinking about the adventure I should be planning for my D&D campaign. I'm thinking the mines they'll be finding are gonna be filled with brainwashed miners who are helping the Sky Queen built her castle. It'll be like one of those cool gothic castles you see in eastern europe, which coincidentally, is where I'd really love to live. Slovenia looks like it would be really nice with it's forests, coastline, mountains, and crazy languages.

Mephisto

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My mind is more one big blank than running in all directions. It didn't prevent me from running red lights, missing stops, missing full exam items, loosing IDs and luggages, taking the wrong trains, and making embarrassing/idiotic workplace mistakes however.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You don't so much need more perception (Se) as better judgment (Te). This is the auxiliary function for INTJ and should become relatively well-developed, for exactly the reasons you describe.

G

garbage

I struggle with this, too. Slow and steady is pretty boring, but when it's necessary, you'll be glad that you know how to do it.

Practice, man. You just gotta practice noticing details or slowing down, and make it a habit of mind. Eventually, you'll learn when you need to do so and when you don't--after all, getting the gist of a situation or idea in an instant is a huge advantage--but some practice in the "stop and think" direction is key so that you know how to do it.

If it's too boring for you to practice at first, perhaps remind yourself that you are capable of avoiding any mistakes brought on by a lack of attention to detail if you've got the proper mindset for it.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Yes, because SPs are known for their patience, staying power, and "slow and steady wins the race" attitude.

S

SingSmileShine

For me, I actually have to be conscious of unleashing the Sensing function. I've been caught in many a situation in which my absent-mindedness would have been nice to abandon for awhile. I have to actually say to myself, "Be aware." You know? I'm always stuck in my own head so often, and my mind is so cluttered, that I have to be aware of being aware. Make sense? xD

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Physical activity usually helps.

Thinkist

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe getting a feel for practicality, reality, and perspiration (boring as it may be to iNtuitives) will help, as will attention to details and sensual delights, so familiar to us SPs. Sensors will often have a comfortable inattention to their iNtuition. Whenever your inferior Se piques, just remember to relax and enjoy the ride (assuming it's not overdone as inferior-style Se) :)

LEGERdeMAIN

This is a problem I struggle with all the time and seem unable to learn. Is there a way to improve my Sensing function?

Psychedelic drugs, lots of them, and don't be shy about doses. Force yourself to walk slowly, force yourself to take look at people, things, places. Force yourself to notice the directions of clouds. Think in moderate amounts when attempting to use your senses; not everyone can think and sense at the same time.

Mephisto

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Much thanks guys.

And yes Smile x3:
I did overdo the Se sometimes. I get obsessed with activities like rock climbing and other not-so-safe sports, and attempting as many kinds of foods as possible, trying to savor all the experiences there are. But I think I binged and didn't learn true practicality and awareness.

Sensing activities actually fascinate me quite a bit. I understand that SP's are overrepresented among great athletes and music virtuosos and I do feel the best when I am doing them. It seems that I need to do them more consistently because I end up forgetting them, though I know how fun they can be.