• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dreaming and Type

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are the dreams you have (or if you don't have any) related to type?

I (INTP) think I always dream the same as my daydreams X 1000. If I think too much about Star Trek during the day then I will probably envision some kind of sci-fi scenario in my dreams that night. And those dreams can be very solid and plot-driven, like a movie. But I can dream about a lot of things, and sometimes they concern my real life and not fantasy worlds. Some of them are wish-fulfillment fantasies, while others revolve around anxious thoughts.

My ISFP wife says that she doesn't dream. But then she reports to me a dream that was extremely anxiety-laden, so that suggests to me that she only remembers the powerful ones. And those always revolve around relationship issues.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I rarely dream, and I think I'm an INFP.

When I do dream, its usually one about something that has been occupying my conscious mind a lot, not something completely random.
(Though it could be that I just don't remember most of my dreams when I get up. :shrug:)

Silveresque

My dreams are pretty random and unpredictable and they usually don't make much sense. Their plots tend to be short and simplistic and sometimes nonexistent, like for example I'm wandering around and see lots of random stuff and nothing really happens. Or I start out having some kind goal and then I forget about it and nothing really happens. I think my dreams change too quickly, so the plot usually doesn't get developed enough.

G

garbage

Many of my dreams are realistic enough to be jarring, waking up and wondering whether they actually happened. Some aren't, like that one that I had about being in Pink Floyd (who I'm not very familiar with at all), none of us knowing how to play instruments, and me being the only one who saw a problem when it was almost showtime (the rest of the members were apathetic and just got high).

I'd think that dreams are connected to a thing our subconscious is trying to solve; if it's got a correlation with anything, it's with the Enneagram.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I rarely dream, and I think I'm an INFP.

When I do dream, its usually one about something that has been occupying my conscious mind a lot, not something completely random.
(Though it could be that I just don't remember most of my dreams when I get up. :shrug:)

Yes, and that is just related to focusing more on real life and less on fantasies. You don't care about dreams as much as reality which holds your attention and takes more of your energy.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Many of my dreams are realistic enough to be jarring, waking up and wondering whether they actually happened. Some aren't, like that one that I had about being in Pink Floyd (who I'm not very familiar with at all), none of us knowing how to play instruments, and me being the only one who saw a problem when it was almost showtime (the rest of the members were apathetic and just got high).

I'd think that dreams are connected to the thing our subconscious is trying to solve; if it's got a correlation with anything, it's with the Enneagram.

That's an anxiety dream. I think there is a difference whether it happens just before waking up in the morning or in the middle of the night. Negative dreams are easier to remember at any rate.

G

garbage

That's an anxiety dream. I think there is a difference whether it happens just before waking up in the morning or in the middle of the night. Negative dreams are easier to remember at any rate.
Wait, yeah, I forgot to mention that I was pretty worked up about not being prepared, and I felt as though everyone else was slacking.

I don't remember many of my dreams, but I wouldn't be surprised if most were connected to anxiety--whether I consciously feel it in the real world or not.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wait, yeah, I forgot to mention that I was pretty worked up about not being prepared, and I felt as though everyone else was slacking.

An answer to a question from the RETI: "I worry and react strongly." (Comes out as a type 6 response.)

I don't remember many of my dreams, but I wouldn't be surprised if most were connected to anxiety--whether I consciously feel it in the real world or not.

Sometimes I think late-morning anxiety dreams relate to not wanting to face something in reality. So the body is trying to wake up and the mind is resisting. The result is a stressful dream, like being caught naked in public, or being back in your old school on the first day and you don't know where your locker is, or its combination, or a number of other things that can go wrong (such as arriving at school without any clothes, of course!).

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I remember dreams if I start a habit of attempting to remember them straight in the morning, and even more so if I resolved to the night before. Otherwise I have memorable dreams when I feel like I'm navigating new territory in my life, or sometimes when I'm repressing bad things.

FireShield98

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp
I haven't had many dreams lately since I usually don't get much sleep. However, when I do have dreams, they are very vivid (and I can remember them in extreme detail), and sometimes have a very good and complex plot. I actually once had a series of three related dreams three nights in a row once. Back between in eighth grade and the summer between eighth grade and ninth grade, I had nightmares a lot for some reason, and that was the only time I wish I didn't have such vivid and realistic dreams. But lately, since I've not been getting that much sleep, I've not been having memorable dreams - I remember them when I first wake up, but they don't stay with me like dreams I used to have.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think the most interesting thing of dreaming and type is that in dreams you don't really have type anymore and can more purely experience all aspects of yourself.

I'm not aware much of my dreams anymore, but of the ones that I do remember:

(1) Most of them are the sort that are somehow related to a problem that I was fixated on the day prior. They rarely directly confront the problem I was working on but end up giving some bit of insight in the periphery. Last night my combined boredom and mini type crisis landed me back taking a final exam in my last days of high school, and I was sent out of class to finish the rest of my test and instead of the nutrition posters in the hallways there were student-drawn posters describing each of the types xD And yeah a lot of other stuff happened from there but I'm not getting into all that publicly....

(2) Then there's the little percentage of fear dreams that pop up that are very short. Usually things like natural disasters or car accidents, but some of them are too strange to describe in those terms. They rarely get into nightmare territory, as the dream me is usually either unusually calm about it or sort of an action movie hero in a rush.

(3) Then there's multipart situational dreams not brought on by a particular problem in the day, that are like the story dreams, but with more of my RL situations and settings.

(4) Then there's those "where the bleep did that come from?" story dreams that have multiple storylines going on and half of them don't really make sense. But they are sort of like those television series where there's these different characters and each of them has their own thread that eventually gets woven in with the others. The only example I can think of right now is "Heroes".... so it's like Heroes meets Wonderland :tongue:

To type connect these, I would say that in the (1) dreams it is almost like Ti and F blend together, (2) and (3) deal with general S things that I don't want to during the regular day, and (4) is where Ne converges into something like Ni

But this is probably not what you were talking about, is it? I don't have any simple answers right now :tongue:

Silveresque

(1) Most of them are the sort that are somehow related to a problem that I was fixated on the day prior. They rarely directly confront the problem I was working on but end up giving some bit of insight in the periphery. Last night my combined boredom and mini type crisis landed me back taking a final exam in my last days of high school, and I was sent out of class to finish the rest of my test and instead of the nutrition posters in the hallways there were student-drawn posters describing each of the types xD And yeah a lot of other stuff happened from there but I'm not getting into all that publicly....

(2) Then there's the little percentage of fear dreams that pop up that are very short. Usually things like natural disasters or car accidents, but some of them are too strange to describe in those terms. They rarely get into nightmare territory, as the dream me is usually either unusually calm about it or sort of an action movie hero in a rush.

I've noticed a lot of people seem to have dreams about the day's events and problems, but I don't seem to have those. The closest I get are dreams that symbolically reflect my current emotional state. Plot-wise, they seem completely random and unrelated to real life events.

I do get a lot of disaster/fear dreams. The scary dreams are the most interesting, like that volcanic apocalypse dream I had a few months ago. Come to think of it, I also had a tornado apocalypse dream at some point....:thinking: Last night I dreamed that I got in a car accident while driving down a slope that was way too steep. And the night before I had a creepy dream about a leak in my bedroom ceiling that started out dripping water, and then it started dripping black goo and made a hole in my floor that went all the way through. I wonder if it's weird that I actually like my scary dreams more than my other dreams?

Anyways, I also have plenty of pleasant dreams, but those tend to be much more random and nonsensical, which is maybe why they're not as interesting.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've noticed a lot of people seem to have dreams about the day's events and problems, but I don't seem to have those. The closest I get are dreams that symbolically reflect my current emotional state. Plot-wise, they seem completely random and unrelated to real life events.

:yes: That's pretty much the way it works for me too. The elements and lessons to get from it are related to my previous irl problems but the plot/context is pretty random. Like being planted in high school bubbling a scantron when I graduated over 4 years ago. My dreams like also seem to be different from others in that they are not vivid in the slightest, and only vaguely representational of things that exist for me in reality. Like in the school I was at, there was my old principal as a sort of secretary and a couple other things like that but otherwise the setting, characters, situations are all very much made up.

Interesting that your scary dreams are the most interesting..... my scary ones are maybe briefly interesting but very very short. It's the nonsense ones that are very long and like a blockbuster movie almost... But the two themes sort of blend here too, like some of those have some scary elements to them.

Silveresque

:yes: That's pretty much the way it works for me too. The elements and lessons to get from it are related to my previous irl problems but the plot/context is pretty random. Like being planted in high school bubbling a scantron when I graduated over 4 years ago. My dreams like also seem to be different from others in that they are not vivid in the slightest, and only vaguely representational of things that exist for me in reality. Like in the school I was at, there was my old principal as a sort of secretary and a couple other things like that but otherwise the setting, characters, situations are all very much made up.

Interesting that your scary dreams are the most interesting..... my scary ones are maybe briefly interesting but very very short. It's the nonsense ones that are very long and like a blockbuster movie almost... But the two themes sort of blend here too, like some of those have some scary elements to them.

Yup, mine too. Some of the most common settings for my dreams include malls, school, my house, some other made up house, a neighborhood, and inside a video game. But except for my house, all of those are made up. I might be in school, and it's supposed to be my high school or university, but it doesn't actually look like it. I might be playing a video game, but it's either a made up video game or one I know that looks completely different from how it's supposed to look.

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My dreams tend to either be a wordless series of random events or a story. Still, it is rare that actual words, not just cheering or something, will be spoken. Also, "I" tends to be a silent observer. Even a "first person" point of view is simply a view from the eyes of somebody else.

An example story dream that I have had was about how while the rich got packages in the mail, the poor only got letters. I remember the sight of a destitute young child, sighing over a letter. I wonder if shadow Ni comes out in my dreams, because they often have a very thick sense of symbolism in them.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think what you dream(dream symbols) and how often you dream isnt about type, but about what the unconscious mind thinks of the real world. Still i think knowing someones type helps on analyzing his dreams.

Moonflower

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My dreams are rarely ever about the present day's events. Almost all relate to either the past or the future, and rarely offer any real-world solutions.

The images and people are clear, but it takes time for me to think through after the dream about how they are connected.

The best ones are ones where my mind actually works to create some sort of story. These ones often (but certainly not always) have romance as a central topic.

S

SingSmileShine

I dream a lot, and they're always vivid and very realistic, no matter how little sense they make xP They're always colorful.

I love dreams! I've yet to have a very lucid-dreaming experience. It's so hard for me to unclutter my mind at night for me to actually get into the pre-lucid-dreaming state.

The dreams I remember are usually very vivid, high on sensory data and heavily plot based. I love dreaming! It's just so damn entertaining.