• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

F vs Fi and Fe?

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is the F in the MBTI supposed to be the combination of your Fi and Fe cognitive functions?

The MBTI confuses me because my Fi from Jungian functions is very well defined, but my F vs T in the MBTI is rarely defined well.

I know they are different things, but isn't there supposed to be some relationship between them?

If F was the combination of Fi and Fe though that would make sense since my Fe is very weak...

I just don't understand this, can anyone clarify?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
F in type code indicates that you prefer Fi or Fe over Ti or Te. If you have FP in your type code, it means that your F is oriented introverted, so you have Fi(and dont have Fe if you are INFP) and yoir extraverted judgment is T, so you have Te, not Ti and prefer Fi over Te. FJ types use Fe and prefer it over their Ti. TJ uses Fi and Te, but prefer Te over Fi. TP types use Ti and Fe and prefer Ti over Fe.

Everyone has all functions, S N F T, but the orientation of these functions differ between types, so does the preferred functions.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
one way i have read to think of Fi and Fe is like two directions on the "conveyor belt" of F. usually, the more of one you utilize, the less of the other you will understand. being an F, you will understand the objective (human flourishing), but not the processing, of the other function, because it works in the opposite direction. conveyor belts are round, of course, so you both (Fi and Fe users) end up getting to the same place (mutual caring and understanding), but Fi is attuned to intrapersonal issues while Fe is attuned to interpersonal issues. the more time you spend on one, the less time you will have for the other.

and actually, strong-Fi INFPs can end up being more like INTPs because the nature of the Fi function is very similar to the nature of the Ti function (both being idealistic, perfectionistic, internal-system-checking functions).

so it very much makes sense that if you feel very strongly about your Fi, then you feel closer to a T than a Fe user.