• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

a thing to keep in mind about functions (Ni as example)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ni has an attitude where the world as sensed (what we see, hear, smell, touch) is illusory and merely a phenomena which blinds us from what is. I think Kant is a classic Ni user when he insists on "things-in-themselves" and "numena" which cannot be known but are also truer.

You are confusing transcendental idealism with empirical idealism. Kant did not argue or state that "things-in-themselves" and "nuomena" are truer or that reality is illusory. That is a common misconception about Kant that is even taught in colleges. Read Kant's Refutation of Material Idealism, Henry Allison is also helpful.

G

garbage

The question is, did Jung believe that someone can be a pure type?
Perhaps a line of questioning like:

Did Jung believe that someone can be a pure type?
Can someone be a pure type?
Is it useful to think of people as pure types? Is it useful to talk of pure types?

They probably have similar answers, but separating the questions might be a useful exercise.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Perhaps a line of questioning like:

Did Jung believe that someone can be a pure type?
Can someone be a pure type?
Is it useful to think of people as pure types? Is it useful to talk of pure types?

They probably have similar answers, but separating the questions might be a useful exercise.

Isn't he only considering these types abstractly, AS IF pure types could exist? That's what such abstraction is for, and it is not necessary for real examples to exist at all.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Isn't he only considering these types abstractly, AS IF pure types could exist? That's what such abstraction is for, and it is not necessary for real examples to exist at all.

Then what is the point of it...isnt it nothing more then Sci-Fi at that point? Pure entertainment.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
can anyone be truly evaluated in an unbiased way with a self reporting test? :huh: worth looking at before dragging up arguments by Kant perhaps :laugh:

G

garbage

That's my understanding, at least.

Then what is the point of it...isnt it nothing more then Sci-Fi at that point? Pure entertainment.
Ideals that we can strive for or attempt to understand have a purpose, even if they're unreachable. Christians strive to be like Jesus, for example, even though they maintain that being exactly like him is impossible.

can anyone be truly evaluated in an unbiased way with a self reporting test? :huh: worth looking at before dragging up arguments by Kant perhaps :laugh:
Here, we've gotta be careful to separate the instrument from the thing it's trying to measure. I'm not talking about the MBTI itself.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ideals that we can strive for or attempt to understand have a purpose, even if they're unreachable. Christians strive to be like Jesus, for example, even though they maintain that being like him is impossible.

Yeah, I guess, if you need that kind of thing. I prefer to focus on actual people and real life to reach forward.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Here, we've gotta be careful to separate the instrument from the thing it's trying to measure. I'm not talking about the MBTI itself.

I've never been much of one for putting faith in test results or anything of the sort just because people can't view themselves accurately... it's like trying to say what your voice sounds like without listening to a recording, only to the way that you hear yourself through your jawbone and inner ear :thinking:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, I guess, if you need that kind of thing. I prefer to focus on actual people and real life to reach forward.

I have an idea for you: Do both.

Good golly Miss Molly, I thought we were all aware that an ESTP doesn't exist outside an intellectual construct.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've never been much of one for putting faith in test results or anything of the sort just because people can't view themselves accurately... it's like trying to say what your voice sounds like without listening to a recording, only to the way that you hear yourself through your jawbone and inner ear :thinking:

You should try yodeling in the canyon sometime.

G

garbage

Yeah, don't let the MBTI as an instrument color your perception of all survey methods. There are great, more reliable techniques in the field, and the field is just advancing all the time!

Here, I talk about the functions as if they're actually valuable or accurate constructs, regardless of how well the MBTI itself captures them. To me, they're just ways of categorizing and organizing how we talk about the stuff that happens in our brain. Thus, we separate the functions from the thing that's supposed to measure how those functions play in our own heads.

I call for a further separation of those functions (as ideals) from how they actually do play out in our heads, just because of the confusion it causes--again, they're not superpowers.

But then...
... it seems like separating ideals from the people who embody them to an imperfect extent might not be useful for everyone.

One good way to understand, define, or refine the functions is to see how those who identify with a particular set (e.g. Ne Ti) act. That's akin to the process of validation, where we compare our understanding to the real world to see if our understanding actually matches what happens.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have an idea for you: Do both.

Good golly Miss Molly, I thought we were all aware that an ESTP doesn't exist outside an intellectual construct.

When I find an "Ideal" I may strive for it. I have yet to find one. Maybe because I am looking at the real world. It seems more like "mental masterbation" to me. :D

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
finding a completely accurate method of analysis would be just about impossible to find though considering that any human being changes depending on the situation and experiences and things of that sort... personality is fluid instead of static... fluid more like unmelted wax, in that people aren't different people every day, but nobody is the same person today as they were 10 years ago... sometimes even some of the basic personality fundamentals can change in that time :)

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
One good way to understand, define, or refine the functions is to see how those who identify with a particular set (e.g. Ne Ti) act. That's akin to the process of validation, where we compare our understanding to the real world to see if our understanding actually matches what happens.

I agree, where does expanding beyond whats real apply?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
finding a completely accurate method of analysis would be just about impossible to find though considering that any human being changes depending on the situation and experiences and things of that sort... personality is fluid instead of static... fluid more like unmelted wax, in that people aren't different people every day, but nobody is the same person today as they were 10 years ago... sometimes even some of the basic personality fundamentals can change in that time :)

LMAO...I actually typed something along those same lines and then deleted it because i didnt feel like going that route.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
LMAO...I actually typed something along those same lines and then deleted it because i didnt feel like going that route.

obviously a case of great minds thinking alike! :laugh:

G

garbage

Yeah, like that one time when a dude got a pole through his freakin' head and his personality drastically changed. Geez! I don't think any typology theory would accurately explain that.

Even still, typology and trait-based theories like the Big Five might still be useful. The thing is, after we've theorized a bit, we've gotta find their limitations. We ask: do these theories hold up for individuals over time? Do they necessarily need to? For example, Multiplicity posits that our traits are situational. I believe that's a valid line of inquiry--probably a result of trying to tie theories back to the real world.

If they don't hold up for people over time, they might still be good as snapshots at points in time, typical representations for personal development, etc. We could use them to guide individuals' direction from the present moment, even if we don't pretend that their personalities are static.

I agree, where does expanding beyond whats real apply?

The way I understand it, it applies in actually developing a theory. The theory is an attempt to explain what's real and generalize/extrapolate beyond what we already know to hypothesize about whatever else is out there. The problem is when we don't try to tie that new theory back into the real world.

I am actually right there with you guys--the question of "are these theories valid?" is not asked enough.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, like that one time when a dude got a pole through his freakin' head and his personality drastically changed. I don't think any typology theory would accurately explain that.

Even still, typology and trait-based theories like the Big Five might still be useful. The thing is, after we've theorized a bit, we've gotta find their limitations. We ask: do these theories hold up for individuals over time? Do they necessarily need to? For example, Multiplicity posits that our traits are situational. I believe that's a valid line of inquiry--probably a result of trying to tie theories back to the real world.

If they don't hold up for people over time, they might still be good as snapshots at points in time, typical representations for personal development, etc. We could use them to guide individuals' direction from the present moment, even if we don't pretend that their personalities are static.

The way I understand it, it applies in actually developing a theory. The theory is an attempt to explain what's real and generalize/extrapolate beyond what we already know to hypothesize about whatever else is out there. The problem is when we don't try to tie that new theory back into the real world.

Ok, take his type and create a 3d representation...take a pole and shove it through the 3d representation. Thats his new type.

You realize how hard it would be to find that "snapshot" that applies at that "point" in time. By the time you do the point in time has changed...the person has progressed. A person will always represent his current snapshot though so if you focus on the "person" you will always be working with the current snapshot.