User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Yeah, like that one time when a dude got a pole through his freakin' head and his personality drastically changed. I don't think any typology theory would accurately explain that.

Even still, typology and trait-based theories like the Big Five might still be useful. The thing is, after we've theorized a bit, we've gotta find their limitations. We ask: do these theories hold up for individuals over time? Do they necessarily need to? For example, Multiplicity posits that our traits are situational. I believe that's a valid line of inquiry--probably a result of trying to tie theories back to the real world.

If they don't hold up for people over time, they might still be good as snapshots at points in time, typical representations for personal development, etc. We could use them to guide individuals' direction from the present moment, even if we don't pretend that their personalities are static.
    I would take more of a snapshot approach than a static approach... I can attest that I'm definitely a different person than I was in High School (when I was the poser child of ExTJ)

and Phineas Gage! I remember reading about him as a kid!!!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    STP

Yeah, like that one time when a dude got a pole through his freakin' head and his personality drastically changed. Geez! I don't think any typology theory would accurately explain that.

Even still, typology and trait-based theories like the Big Five might still be useful. The thing is, after we've theorized a bit, we've gotta find their limitations. We ask: do these theories hold up for individuals over time? Do they necessarily need to? For example, Multiplicity posits that our traits are situational. I believe that's a valid line of inquiry--probably a result of trying to tie theories back to the real world.

If they don't hold up for people over time, they might still be good as snapshots at points in time, typical representations for personal development, etc. We could use them to guide individuals' direction from the present moment, even if we don't pretend that their personalities are static.

The way I understand it, it applies in actually developing a theory. The theory is an attempt to explain what's real and generalize/extrapolate beyond what we already know to hypothesize about whatever else is out there. The problem is when we don't try to tie that new theory back into the real world.

I am actually right there with you guys--the question of "are these theories valid?" is not asked enough.
    I can tell you the limitations...it "generalizes" people.
    Im out, its been fun

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by _Poki_ View Post
    I can tell you the limitations...it "generalizes" people.
    That's one limitation. There are several more.

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I would take more of a snapshot approach than a static approach... I can attest that I'm definitely a different person than I was in High School (when I was the poser child of ExTJ)
    Man, yeah. It would be hard to identify with ENFP during depressive episodes.

It's hard to fit a theory to an entire person over the course of their entire life. And if a theory does fit, it must either account for or lack an explanation for variance within a given person over time and during particular events.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Man, yeah. It would be hard to identify with ENFP during depressive episodes.

It's hard to fit a theory to an entire person over the course of their entire life. And if a theory does fit, it must either account for or lack an explanation for variance within a given person over time and during particular events.
    I would think that if a single type would explain the same person for an entire lifetime that would be a sign that the person probably was mentally unwell in a way

of course actual mental disorders would make finding a catch-all type for an individual completely impossible... I do believe that I recall that we have something in common that would make finding any one type to be rather impossible as well

you could probably use the functions to describe mental mechanisms, but using any of them as a static description of type would be impossible... people would be more like a changeable bouquet of functions than anything...
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    STP

That's one limitation. There are several more.
    Most limitations I am blind to as I dont see a "box" and I cant actually stay within the box. My mind and what I can concieve is my box, its my limitation. Theories, life, experiences, all merge together into what I can concieve...so I dont focus on the limitations, just growing. I hit a limitation when what I cant achieve what I want with what I have, thats when you need to dig deeper and expand out more. I am an extremely open person and not restrictive so it works pretty well for me. I tend not to do it for the sake of doing it...have you ever heard the saying..."when you stop looking for something...thats when you find it"?
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEa7v...embedded#t=58s
    "lol intuitives only need three points and they magically got it, while sensors need every single detail of everything because they are dumb."
    I've magically detected via pattern recognition that this guy is a moron.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEa7v...embedded#t=58s
    "lol intuitives only need three points and they magically got it, while sensors need every single detail of everything because they are dumb."
    I stopped the video at 2 seconds. He's the same idiot who many of us briefly listened to, ages ago.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by stalemate View Post
    I've magically detected via pattern recognition that this guy is a moron.
    Lmao!

My wifi connection isn't the best so I only got 20s. I will have to go back and rematch because I am already hooked from the get go. "notice my eyes moving around? That's a dead give away for an intuitive because we access all parts of our brain."

I guess the blind can never be Ns then.

Ideals that we can strive for or attempt to understand have a purpose, even if they're unreachable. Christians strive to be like Jesus, for example, even though they maintain that being exactly like him is impossible..
    Wait.. MBTI is about ideals we should strive for now? And the "archetypal/abstract" ISTP is my Jesus?

I don't want to strive for anything. No matter what type I am, I just like to be me - whatever that may be. Typology helps me better understand other people, if anything. My interest in the subject isn't about my self-development per se. There are so many better ways to go about that.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    I guess the blind can never be Ns then.
    well, they certainly can't be Ss since they're MISSING a sense