User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 60

  1. #21
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mephisto View Post
    Ni has an attitude where the world as sensed (what we see, hear, smell, touch) is illusory and merely a phenomena which blinds us from what is. I think Kant is a classic Ni user when he insists on "things-in-themselves" and "numena" which cannot be known but are also truer.
    You are confusing transcendental idealism with empirical idealism. Kant did not argue or state that "things-in-themselves" and "nuomena" are truer or that reality is illusory. That is a common misconception about Kant that is even taught in colleges. Read Kant's Refutation of Material Idealism, Henry Allison is also helpful.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  2. #22
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    The question is, did Jung believe that someone can be a pure type?
    Perhaps a line of questioning like:

    Did Jung believe that someone can be a pure type?
    Can someone be a pure type?
    Is it useful to think of people as pure types? Is it useful to talk of pure types?

    They probably have similar answers, but separating the questions might be a useful exercise.

  3. #23
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Perhaps a line of questioning like:

    Did Jung believe that someone can be a pure type?
    Can someone be a pure type?
    Is it useful to think of people as pure types? Is it useful to talk of pure types?

    They probably have similar answers, but separating the questions might be a useful exercise.
    Isn't he only considering these types abstractly, AS IF pure types could exist? That's what such abstraction is for, and it is not necessary for real examples to exist at all.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    Isn't he only considering these types abstractly, AS IF pure types could exist? That's what such abstraction is for, and it is not necessary for real examples to exist at all.
    Then what is the point of it...isnt it nothing more then Sci-Fi at that point? Pure entertainment.
    Im out, its been fun

  5. #25
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,124

    Default

    can anyone be truly evaluated in an unbiased way with a self reporting test? worth looking at before dragging up arguments by Kant perhaps
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  6. #26
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    Isn't he only considering these types abstractly, AS IF pure types could exist? That's what such abstraction is for, and it is not necessary for real examples to exist at all.
    That's my understanding, at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by _Poki_ View Post
    Then what is the point of it...isnt it nothing more then Sci-Fi at that point? Pure entertainment.
    Ideals that we can strive for or attempt to understand have a purpose, even if they're unreachable. Christians strive to be like Jesus, for example, even though they maintain that being exactly like him is impossible.

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    can anyone be truly evaluated in an unbiased way with a self reporting test? worth looking at before dragging up arguments by Kant perhaps
    Here, we've gotta be careful to separate the instrument from the thing it's trying to measure. I'm not talking about the MBTI itself.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Ideals that we can strive for or attempt to understand have a purpose, even if they're unreachable. Christians strive to be like Jesus, for example, even though they maintain that being like him is impossible.
    Yeah, I guess, if you need that kind of thing. I prefer to focus on actual people and real life to reach forward.
    Im out, its been fun

  8. #28
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Here, we've gotta be careful to separate the instrument from the thing it's trying to measure. I'm not talking about the MBTI itself.
    I've never been much of one for putting faith in test results or anything of the sort just because people can't view themselves accurately... it's like trying to say what your voice sounds like without listening to a recording, only to the way that you hear yourself through your jawbone and inner ear
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  9. #29
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by _Poki_ View Post
    Yeah, I guess, if you need that kind of thing. I prefer to focus on actual people and real life to reach forward.
    I have an idea for you: Do both.

    Good golly Miss Molly, I thought we were all aware that an ESTP doesn't exist outside an intellectual construct.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  10. #30
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I've never been much of one for putting faith in test results or anything of the sort just because people can't view themselves accurately... it's like trying to say what your voice sounds like without listening to a recording, only to the way that you hear yourself through your jawbone and inner ear
    You should try yodeling in the canyon sometime.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-21-2015, 03:58 PM
  2. If you're in the stock market, keep in mind
    By Tantive in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-21-2010, 10:25 AM
  3. What are Fun Things to do in the Rain?
    By Vizconde in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-06-2010, 02:04 PM
  4. Help--How to Keep from Sleeping in Class!
    By rivercrow in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-21-2007, 01:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO