User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Default Thinking/Feeling and Mercy

I find at my workplace that I'm always the one defending other people from criticism. A select group of co-workers are usually complaining that people are slow and lazy, they're all thinkers. I'm the one saying "wait a minute, that guy is new... of course he's going to be slow, he's adjusting, he's got no friends to motivate him and he's on a lower wage than you".

My brother and friends tell me that I'm quicker to defend other people than I am to defend myself.

Is there such a thing as merciful, MBTI Thinkers?
    5 3 9

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Wikipedia: Those who prefer thinking tend to decide things from a more detached standpoint, measuring the decision by what seems reasonable, logical, causal, consistent and matching a given set of rules. Those who prefer feeling tend to come to decisions by associating or empathizing with the situation, looking at it 'from the inside' and weighing the situation to achieve, on balance, the greatest harmony, consensus and fit, considering the needs of the people involved.
    Pretty sure I'm going to have to change my type.
    5 3 9

All Natural! All Good!

Maybe your Fe is well-developed?

It appears though that you have good reasons to defend the guy, such that your co-workers' complaints may not make much sense. There exists unreasonable criticism. All criticism is not reasonable just because it is hurtful. Being hurtful for its own sake is not particularly logical. Your defense, on the other hand, seems logical.

Edit: I am not sure of my T/F but I'm also quick to defend people. I think this is because I can construct arguments to defend almost any position (some, however, are indefensible or at least seem so). So when I see someone being unreasonably criticised, I can't let the unreasonable stand, criticism aside.
    Strychnine is all-natural,
    So strychnine is all good.
    It's Godly and righteous,
    So eat it, you should.
    Who are you to refuse nature's will?

Don't use the multiquote; it was planted by the devil to deceive us.

Social Role: Asscrack/Piece of Shit/Public Defecator/Spiteful Urinator

A different type everyday - so no need to type me anymore. But feel free to enjoy the sound of your own asscrack.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

I had no reason to defend them, I defend people that I don't even know and I'm usually placing myself in their shoes too, and looking for solutions that bring harmony. I even defend videogame characters...

Feeling is a rational process, it's a judgement, it's going to be logical.

I actually relate better to the F side than the T, at least in the way that the wikipedia entry reads. Not all to sure whether I can't trust wiki on this, but there was an F description that Mal posted up that I could relate to as well.
    5 3 9

ReflecTcelfeR

@Asterion

Do you mean: Unbridled mercy?

I mean to say that in looking at what something "truly is" if the situation actually warrants mercy then it would seem that mercy would be given, but that's the ability to assess the situation correctly and understanding completely that situation and its consequences not necessarily a function.

All Natural! All Good!

Ok, well what you just wrote sounds more F. I will say though that defending people does not necessarily equal F. It sounded to me like your reason to defend them was to uphold the truth, which to me represents justice. But if you are defending them to bring about harmony rather than uphold the truth, that sounds more F than T.
    Strychnine is all-natural,
    So strychnine is all good.
    It's Godly and righteous,
    So eat it, you should.
    Who are you to refuse nature's will?

Don't use the multiquote; it was planted by the devil to deceive us.

Social Role: Asscrack/Piece of Shit/Public Defecator/Spiteful Urinator

A different type everyday - so no need to type me anymore. But feel free to enjoy the sound of your own asscrack.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecTcelfeR View Post
    @Asterion

Do you mean: Unbridled mercy?

I mean to say that in looking at what something "truly is" if the situation actually warrants mercy then it would seem that mercy would be given, but that's the ability to assess the situation correctly and understanding completely that situation and its consequences not necessarily a function.
    I certainly don't like conflict. I often feel sorry for other people, and analyze their situation, what they're going through, compare it to what I would or have felt in similar situations. I've often become friends with people that others avoid simply because I know what they're going through. They're usually outsiders, a little strange, sometimes selfish, stupid assholes, but I overlook that, it's not until one of my mates (ISTJ) told me that those kind of people aren't the kind of people you want to associate with that I started avoiding people like that, that I didn't like as a person in the first place but couldn't abandon because they were abandoned their whole lives.

I think that pretty well seals the deal. I think I have been confusing 5s detached and analytical tendencies for Thinking.
    5 3 9

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Asterion View Post
    I find at my workplace that I'm always the one defending other people from criticism. A select group of co-workers are usually complaining that people are slow and lazy, they're all thinkers. I'm the one saying "wait a minute, that guy is new... of course he's going to be slow, he's adjusting, he's got no friends to motivate him and he's on a lower wage than you".

My brother and friends tell me that I'm quicker to defend other people than I am to defend myself.

A good post.

Introverted judgement is extraverted concern.
    Extraverted judgement is introverted concern.

Mercy is about the other. Empathy is about oneself.
    Fi. Fe.
    Respectively.

An analogy.
    Ti is about the thing. Te is about application of the thing.

Application.

1. Benefit.
    2. Use.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I'll defend people when there's a reason to defend them. Often, what people call "criticism" is just a veil (and a thin one, at that) for mean-spiritedness, which can easily be harmful to others and does not come from a reasonable place.

If the criticism is justified, and it's delivered in a straight-forward manner, I have no problem with it.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Asterion View Post

On MBTI tests, mercy is often contrasted with justice and we are asked which we prefer. As I see it, if there were more true justice, we would have less need for mercy. Mercy is often invoked to temper injustice.

The case of your coworkers' criticisms is too vague to evaluate. I am a thinker, and usually find people slow and lazy, and the ones who do appear hardworking are often working harder, not smarter. I admit, expressed this way it is a subjective judgment, colored by personal bias. On the other hand, when I make such judgments, I already include the knowledge that someone is new, or not feeling well, etc. Perhaps your colleagues are already taking these considerations into account. Perhaps some of your colleagues really are slow or lazy. Complaining about it, however, is not productive. Are the complainers supervisors who can show they employees where they need to improve? Are they coworkers who can encourage their teammates to greater productivity, perhaps by looking at their own example? A complaint may be true, but if it remains just a complaint, no purpose is served.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...