• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Thinking/Feeling and Mercy

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I guess I can make an En 5 exception for you. :ninja:

I remember this post on intpforum about how to get along with INFPs (he restricted to female INFPs though):

Sounds very unlike me. I wonder if Asterion relates to any of those. :thinking:
[MENTION=6894]Asterion[/MENTION], Do you play board games for the social interaction or for the empire-building? :burns:

I love empire hoarding, but I would have thought it would be Self Preservation vs Social instinct related. I also tend to take lots of sx style risks for fun and with the hope that it will complement my hoarding desires lol.

Definitely not firmly set in my ways when it comes to spirituality, I'm not so sure that INTPs are. I'm open to anything that brings motivation, direction and insight.

If you said you were going to slash a chef's tires, I wouldn't believe you in the first place, and I'd take it as a joke. If you were to tell me that I should go and give them a piece of my mind for low quality food, I would start reasoning that the chef is probably stressed, overworked and frustrated by angry bosses and can't deal with it, I'd go and tell him to keep calm, take it easy and stay in control. The chef won't deliver quality meals if s/he rushes them, it would be better to do it to perfection, and not blame himself when there's likely not enough workers, or too much demand.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
EMPIRE BUILDING ALL THE WAY!!

Screw social interaction! I am out for blood.

(but if I lose I will pout and cry and give puppy dog eyes to try and win)
Sounds like you're more badass than the typical INFP.
image.php

:alttongue:

I believe the most important difference it the focus...

INTPs are worried about things making sense.
INTP, objective focus.
Random acquaitance says ''OMG, I broke up with my boyfriend''
Ti (main focus) - What is she expecting me to do, I can't do anything about it. :thinking:
*Ne kicks in providing random ideas*
*Si looks into past situations for guidelines*
*Fe wants a harmonic response, but its voice alone isn't audible.*
INTP: ''I'm sorry.''

INFPs are focused on how people make them feel and how people are feeling.
INFP, subjective focus.
Fi - ''I know how you feel. I'm sorry for that. Wanna talk about it?''
The other functions don't need to work as much, as Fi is their primary function. It's their focus.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
image.php

INTP, objective focus.
Ti (main focus) - What is she expecting me to do, I can't do anything about it. :thinking:

INFP, subjective focus.
The other functions don't need to work as much, as Fi is their primary function. It's their focus.

People have come to me with this a few times, and I mostly listen and offer whatever advice I can muster. I focus on helping them get passed those feelings, even if I struggle to be receptive and comforting (not an easy task for 5s). That's a tough question, and a tough situation.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
People have come to me with this a few times, and I mostly listen and offer whatever advice I can muster. I focus on helping them get passed those feelings, even if I struggle to be receptive and comforting (not an easy task for 5s). That's a tough question, and a tough situation.
Sounds like an INFP. Just my 50 cents. :D

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I hate those justice/mercy questions on tests. I can never decide on those. I think its important to consistently apply standards and treat people fairly yet I realize that one size doesn't always fit all and there are always going to be special exceptions.

When I see criminals and people getting fired from jobs, I usually feel some degree of compassion for them even if they majorly screwed up and their punishment was 'deserved'. I'm concerned about how getting locked up in prison or fired from a job is going to impact their lives. Alot of people think we're too soft on crime but I'm not always sure that just locking someone up in prison for years, isolated from the rest of society is always the best solution.

I find at my workplace that I'm always the one defending other people from criticism. A select group of co-workers are usually complaining that people are slow and lazy, they're all thinkers. I'm the one saying "wait a minute, that guy is new... of course he's going to be slow, he's adjusting, he's got no friends to motivate him and he's on a lower wage than you".

My brother and friends tell me that I'm quicker to defend other people than I am to defend myself.

Is there such a thing as merciful, MBTI Thinkers?

I relate to this example as well.

Why can't MBTI thinkers be merciful?

I'm not sure justice/mercy are as mutually exclusive as the tests make them out to be.

image.php

INTP, objective focus.

INFP, subjective focus.

I relate more to the INTP example here. That describes my thought process almost exactly. Yet I find myself questioning my T/F preference again and again, largely because I relate to having mercy and seeing so many exceptions to the rule. Peoples' unique circumstances I feel should be taken into more consideration than it often is.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I hate those justice/mercy questions on tests. I can never decide on those. I think its important to consistently apply standards and treat people fairly yet I realize that one size doesn't always fit all and there are always going to be special exceptions.
It's not just an issue of special exceptions. Treating people fairly does not mean treating them all the same.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I can never answer the "what do you consider more important; justice or mercy" questions, imo both are important but as much as I am very sure of my NTness I side with mercy and forgiveness.

That said, your INP comes across pretty loud, esp the IN parts but you seem more socially aware and engaging than the average INTP, being a sx may account for that.

Do you relate to Fi?

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can never answer the "what do you consider more important; justice or mercy" questions, imo both are important but as much as I am very sure of my NTness I side with mercy and forgiveness.

That said, your INP comes across pretty loud, esp the IN parts but you seem more socially aware and engaging than the average INTP, being a sx may account for that.

Do you relate to Fi?

I think I've worked it out after sorting through a mess of internet descriptions, I think I'm more bent towards weighing up pros/cons and facts than doing what I feel is right and wrong. If there is no clear logical answer that overpowers everything else, I can't make a choice, and I think I notice this in other INTP 5s as well. I think about it a lot, but there's no passionate opinions coming from me, I'll look for a choice that comes with the most pros, even if only by a small margin, and those pros/cons can include other people's feelings.

I remember hearing that a thinker and a feeler might make the same choices, the reasons might sound equally logical to anyone, but the process is different. A thinker will treat feelings as a fact, a feeler will apply their sense of right and wrong to those feelings. Which means that a thinker could prefer mercy over justice, and a feeler could prefer justice over mercy, what would matter more is the situation, rather than the preference.

BAM! take that MBTI! :happy0065:

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I remember hearing that a thinker and a feeler might make the same choices, the reasons might sound equally logical to anyone, but the process is different. A thinker will treat feelings as a fact, a feeler will apply their sense of right and wrong to those feelings. Which means that a thinker could prefer mercy over justice, and a feeler could prefer justice over mercy, what would matter more is the situation, rather than the preference.:

To me, that appears to be much more of a Fe (the "thinker") vs Fi thing. Fe treats feelings as facts and shows that something is right or wrong with external evidence. Fi trusts its own ability to judge right and wrong (but not any sort of "external proof's").

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I find at my workplace that I'm always the one defending other people from criticism. A select group of co-workers are usually complaining that people are slow and lazy, they're all thinkers. I'm the one saying "wait a minute, that guy is new... of course he's going to be slow, he's adjusting, he's got no friends to motivate him and he's on a lower wage than you".

My brother and friends tell me that I'm quicker to defend other people than I am to defend myself.

Is there such a thing as merciful, MBTI Thinkers?

I am also an INTP and find myself doing exactly the same thing as you. There's logical basis to it though. Displays of mercy, love, and kindness will actually produce better results than the opposite of those things. I also put myself in the shoes of others automatically. It's possible I've become more of an F lately, but I think it's just the inferior Fe giving an extreme need for social harmony. I get really uncomfortable around mean-spiritedness and even constructive criticism said in an antagonizing way.