123 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    N/A

Default Si Vs Ni: It Ain't Tradition

From disscussions with Ni dominants on other forums, I have found out the difference between Si and Ni. It ain't tradition, or memories, or imagination. No, none of that. It is models vs systems.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, some definitions:

System: A set of interacting or interdependent components forming an integrated whole

Model: A description of a system using mathematical concepts and language (obviously, not using mathematics here, but you get the idea)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, the difference is that Ni has faith in systems, while Si has faith in models. Say a judging function points out that Ni is wrong:

Ni: "Ok, I'll change the models to better fit the system." (trust that the system is accurate)

But if a judging function points out Si is wrong:

"Ok, I'll change the system to better fit the models." (trust that the models are accurate)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because Ni puts so much faith in systems, if a system is proven wrong in even one aspect, the whole thing, says Ni, should be thrown out. Because Si puts so much faith in models, if a model is proven wrong in even one aspect, the whole thing, says Si, should be thrown out. It is like a broken foundation

To Ni, Si's approach might seem stubborn and unyielding-why not get better models? To Si, Ni's approach seems almost like moving the goalposts.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Owfin View Post
    Now, the difference is that Ni has faith in systems, while Si has faith in models. Say a judging function points out that Ni is wrong:
    It's an interesting theory. I wonder if it's true. It seems right.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    It's an interesting theory. I wonder if it's true. It seems right.
    I know that my description of how Si works is right, because I know how I think. What I was feeling more ambiguous about was Ni, because the Ni method is alien to me.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

huh, thank you for this- I don't know if I'm buying it right away, but would like to see you stick around and clarify (for our lovely group) some more on Si
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I know that my description of how Si works is right, because I know how I think. What I was feeling more ambiguous about was Ni, because the Ni method is alien to me.
    If I understand what you mean by models, I tend to think of them as an oversimplification. They aren't bad though. They are a representation and useful in communicating things. It's a good way of making a repeatable approach that provides consistent results too. They should be tweaked for every situation though. So yeah - moving goal posts.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

To the OP: Sounds right to me but can you come up with a real-life example of your theory? What would a model or a system look like in the real world and how would an Ni/Si user approach it/solve the problem?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    To the OP: Sounds right to me but can you come up with a real-life example of your theory? What would a model or a system look like in the real world and how would an Ni/Si user approach it/solve the problem?
    Yeah! What she said!

(Now we wonder why all the SJ's run away from us- they come in and we all surround them like hungry vultures)
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

To Si, Ni's approach seems almost like moving the goalposts.
    I relate to the moving the goalposts bit. I don't think my example really fits with your theory of models and systems but one area where I recognise my Ni and that I am always moving the goalposts is when I emotionally evaluate a situation. I am naturally an optimist and when something happens to me that could be considered negative (for example I lose my job) than I will turn the situation around in my head so much until I find something positive about it (of course without completely deluding myself; so I might tell myself that it was time for a change anyway, losing the job is actually a blessing in disguise etc.) That's definitely moving the goalposts, looking at the situation from a different perspective and spinning the story until I can see something positive in it. I am not sure how an Si user would react, if that kind of attitude would drive him crazy.

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

I am an Ni-dom, and I am a systems thinker. So this concept of systems vs. models (Ni/Si) seems quite valid. I'll often come up with a model that will best represent the system that is being illustrated, but if the model is inconsistent with how the system operates, then I will refine the model, make modifications to it.

Best example I can give is in experimentation. I make a prediction of how the results will turn out. If the results are inconsistent with the hypothesis I had just made, then I will come up with an explanation of how the hypothesis didn't work out, and what other variables came into play in the experiment that altered expected results.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Sniffles

I can relate to the characterization of systems; which to me would be like that of ideas or philosophies while models would be more about how such would operate in a concrete context.