• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Introducing S vs. N

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a lot of traits of inferior Si, and very few of inferior Ni, so I could well be ENP (I know the EP part for sure). I have also decided that I probably have the Ti-Fe axis and not the Fi-Te one. But I can't see Ne in myself at all, really. I think my functional order is like: Ti = Fe >> Si but I can't see any Pe. lol, I'm so confused.
Hmm...That is confusing. I'm not sure what to say. Maybe Fe-dom with weak tertiary...Or maybe a Ti-Si loop, but that would only work if you were an introvert...Maybe you've got some kind of crow's nest thing going using Si instead of Se as your dominant? My function order is confusing too. I think it goes something like Si-Fi=Ti-Ni...:shrug:

Keep in mind that it is often difficult to identify your dominant function because you see everything through it, so you don't really notice it.

chris1207

MBTI Type
XNXX
Enneagram
3w2
I don't know, I could be SJ. :shrug: But I've been daydreaming for as long as I can remember, and I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with where I ended up in life. Some people just daydream more than others, particularly INFP's, I think.

Just making inferences based on the available data. Your avatar is very NFP :)

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
Hmm...That is confusing. I'm not sure what to say. Maybe Fe-dom with weak tertiary...Or maybe a Ti-Si loop, but that would only work if you were an introvert...Maybe you've got some kind of crow's nest thing going using Si instead of Se as your dominant? My function order is confusing too. I think it goes something like Si-Fi=Ti-Ni...:shrug:

Yeah, it's pretty confusing, and your function order seems even more confusing :p

Well... Fe dominant means Ti inferior, and my Ti does not have a negative flavour at all, which would indicate it's auxiliary (or dominant or tertiary if I were an introvert). And my Fe only has a slight negative flavour which would indicate tertiary rather than inferior, so it would not seem I have dominant Ti either.

Thanks for the crow's nest link. I think that's actually what is happening, but from what I understand it means that you switch a function with another function of the same type and same attitude... so I would replace Se with Ne, not Si. I think that might be why I relate to both Ti and Fi (but not Te) though, when Ti does not cut it I slip into a version of Fi... or perhaps it's still Ti...

Keep in mind that it is often difficult to identify your dominant function because you see everything through it, so you don't really notice it.

You're right, the lens can't see itself. I'm realizing lately how hard it can be to find your type with an invisible dominant!

G

Ginkgo

I wonder if Si doms tend sleep on problems like Ni doms tend to do.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Concrete- when I need to be
Realistic- when I need to be
Prize enjoyment.
Aware of current trends
Lives in the present
Often use straight talk- when I need to
Aware of surroundings
Notices details
Often like crime novels
Practical
Factual
Observation over imagination- in the middle with this one
Often content with status quo - Isn't usually a factor

Make things happen
Loyal to friends

If American; more likely to be conservative

N / Abstract

Future-focused
Sees possibilities
Prize inspiration
Aware of own inspiration
Introspective about the past
Often use difficult words- First word that comes to mind
Imaginative
Often dislike crime novels
Reflects but does not always do
Theoretical
Imagination over observation- In the middle with this one
Often restless with status quo - Isn't usually a factor

Contemplate things
See both sides

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I look at that picture and see beauty...the complexity of the design and pattern. I dont move onto the abstraction of why the person built it or what the "intention" was...I am not deep ;)

I have been at an intersection where there was a wreck...

Other: "I wonder what happened"
Me: "they got in a wreck"
Other: "smart ass"
Other: "I bet they were talking on the phone and..."
Me: completely distracted with something else by now

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I look at that picture and see beauty...the complexity of the design and pattern. I dont move onto the abstraction of why the person built it or what the "intention" was...I am not deep ;)

I think that the amount of care you take in seeing the complexity and beauty of the design could not be anything but deep. Don't let anybody tell you that beauty cannot be deep.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

No result on a functions test represents function order.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I see it more as a giant vibrator dildo.

:yes:...that is one screwed up looking penis. It doesnt even have a head.

edit: sorry, maybe I should judge...thats a "different" looking penis

Silveresque

No result on a functions test represents function order.

I know that...That's why I've been reading about the functions. The last time I took the function test (yesterday) I got: Fi=Si=Ti>Te=Fe>Ne>Ni>Se, but based on what I've read about the functions, I actually relate more to Ni than Ne, I think. Based on descriptions my function order should be more like Fi=Ti=Si=Ni>Te>Fe=Ne>Se. But I don't think I really use Ni...Most likely I do use Ne but it's just really weak right now. And I do relate to Te so I probably use that too, it's just that I relate to the introverted functions more.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know that...That's why I've been reading about the functions. The last time I took the function test (yesterday) I got: Fi=Si=Ti>Te=Fe>Ne>Ni>Se, but based on what I've read about the functions, I actually relate more to Ni than Ne, I think. Based on descriptions my function order should be more like Fi=Ti=Si=Ni>Te>Fe=Ne>Se. But I don't think I really use Ni...Most likely I do use Ne but it's just really weak right now. And I do relate to Te so I probably use that too, it's just that I relate to the introverted functions more.

I have trouble understanding what the = and > mean.

Silveresque

I have trouble understanding what the = and > mean.

Equal to and greater than. The = indicates a tie (or just too close to tell which is higher). Fi=Ti means they come out about equal, and Ni>Se means my Ni is stronger than my Se.

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Equal to and greater than. The = indicates a tie (or just too close to tell which is higher). Fi=Ti means they come out about equal, and Ni>Se means my Ni is stronger than my Se.

I would just use the Character Map and use ≥ or ≤ then. Much more clear.

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
or you can use EQ, NE, GT, LT, LTE, GTE, HS, LK, NH

NE would get confused for a cognitive function, and I have never seen any of those abbreviations.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
NE would get confused for a cognitive function, and I have never seen any of those abbreviations.

The last 3 I made up

EQ - Equal
NE - Not Equal
GT - Greater Than
LT - Less Than
GTE - Greater Than or Equal to
LTE - Less Than or Equal to

just common programming abbreviations

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!

I would just use the Character Map and use ≥ or ≤ then. Much more clear.

I don't think RZ is trying to say "equal to or greater than". From the above quote it looks like "equal to" and "greater than" apply to separate functions.

In my case, "Ti = Fe >> Si" means Ti seems approximately equal to Fe (too close to tell) but both are much stronger than Si. Perhaps it would be clearer if I had written: (Ti = Fe) >> Si.

bluestripes

curiouser and curiouser
MBTI Type
Fi
Enneagram
I get flooded with negative past conversations during stress. Every stupid, embarrassing, cringe-worthy thing I said comes back to me. The rest of the time, the past hardly registers. I couldn't recall most of this stuff if I tried, but under stress, I get flooded by it. This of course stresses me out further, which amplifies the flooding, ... --> disaster.

something similar happens to me - but not exactly the same. my memory is also sketchy at best; i tend to remember only separate scenes that were meaningful and/or emotionally charged - and only the visual information, without any conversations or other "sound effects" being included). but after i have a conversation with a friend, for the first few hours or days while i do remember it, i tend to review it almost obsessively. my thinking is visual, so it feels like having a couple of vcr tapes in my head that i run, rewind and fast-forward at will - one with the actual conversation and another with a hypothetical conversation that contains all the things i should have said, but did not. i can fixate on each word i feel was embarrassing, stupid or just out of sync with whoever i was talking to, which makes me uncomfortable. sometimes i deliberately forbid myself to review any recent conversations to avoid this. then, over a few days, the memory starts to fade - the auditory detail goes first, then the visuals start to blur as well, until the whole scene turns into a single static image of "what that day was like". at that point, the full memory is gone permanently and never returns, regardless of the amount of stress i may be under.

i also review possible conversations in a similar manner. before meeting a friend to whom i am very close and/or whom i haven't seen for several months - which usually produces a feeling that is anxious, warm and thrilling at once - i may imagine the hypothetical way our conversation might go, especially the things i am going to tell him or her, to prepare myself. it also feels like a vcr tape, complete with sound.

Sometimes I imagine that I'm that in an alternate universe or something and everything
around me looks different--suddenly the McDonalds I'm sitting in looks like a futuristic cafe on the edge of a cliff on an alien planet.

That sounds about right. Imagining alternate realities is something I have to make a conscious effort to do, whereas reviewing past conversations comes automatically when I'm under stress.

SJ's live in the past and NJ's in the future/realm of distinct possibilities (as distinguished from the shallow, mostly grounded possibilities of Ne (e.g. a wonderland that's realistic in many ways but has rainbow colors or schnoz-berries or something.).)

i do that too. there are often moments when i will be watching something and thinking, what if i perceived the world in a radically different manner - supposing that i had severe sensory integration/processing issues, or my senses were amplified to a point where it would be difficult to function, or i was an alien who can exist simultaneously in several dimensions - how would i see this object? or, how would one of my and my co-author's characters see it? of course, i have to do a lot of this for the sake of our writing, but even if i didn't, i would still do this just for fun. it is always refreshing to try and see my surroundings from a different perspective.

just the other day, i was re-reading donna williams' "nobody nowhere" and i found myself empathizing with her to such an extent that, as well as imagining the things she was describing (like eating flowers or dirt because she wanted to make them part of herself in a direct physical sense, or, say, the doll's house she saw as a blur of colored blobs that just did not connect into a whole) i would look at my own surroundings and try to see them as she might have done.

on the other hand - i could never imagine a fully foreign landscape, whether in a fantastic world or not. when i have to do this, i end up remembering one i had seen before and changing some elements of it in my mind.

once i had to describe a scene where an alien is walking across a desert terrain. i took the image of a place i and my grandfather used to go to for walks - a large meadow between two forested hills, one much steeper and taller than the other - turned it into a reddish desert in my imagination, and settled for that. another time, i happened to turn on the tv while thinking about a fighting scene taking place in the hills. as it happened, a movie was being shown where some soldiers were fighting on a long narrow hill top covered in trees. i instantly imagined my scene occurring on a similar hill top, though with the soldiers, the soil and the trees being different (in ways that were consistent with my and my co-author's universe).

i have no idea why this is, or why i have this problem only with large, panoramic landscapes. smaller visual detail or other "technical" elements of the story, such as the culture of alien races or visual symbolism, are always fine.

not sure what this may say about my possible S/N preference either.