User Tag List

12 Last

Default What types learn better from example than explanation?

...Or visa versa?

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

S types come to mind. N types I think would be more interested in learning the why behind things, which suggests explanation. S types are more interested in the how, which I guess comes closer to example. I could be wrong though.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    S types come to mind. N types I think would be more interested in learning the why behind things, which suggests explanation. S types are more interested in the how, which I guess comes closer to example. I could be wrong though.
    That's what I was thinking. I'm very much an example learner, but it could just be that examples help me recognize a pattern that I can use to solve problems (and pattern recognition is N, I think). Then again, that could also be indicating a preference for practical application over theory (which is S)...

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I had discussion about example vs explanation with my wife yeasterday. I'm an ENTJ with a low chance, and I think that examples can pinpoint some ideas I have. Examples can illustrate princeples, if they are well chosen. It's only a possibility though. There's no general princeple that forces an example to be of any value. So, the value of example is what you make of it. The value of example is what you get of it.

In the end, examples are a tool for teaching.

MBTI
    INTJ

I'm definitey a 'why' learner. I like to understand something before I get in to the how. Otherwise there's no learning involved. What if the process deviates? You can't explain 'how' to every situation. Sometimes you're forced to make a move, so I'd rather be equipped with principles, which rarely, if ever, change, over rules or laws.
    I think that's where I've had some differences with my boss. I would prefer to have the why's answered first in order for me to better appreciate the hows.
    If I'm forced to learn the hows first, once I learn the why, I may rebel if they don't make any sense. That's one of my flaws I guess.

I think both explanations and examples are necessary to learn. Explanations kind of help to focus your mental, provide boundaries and all that. The Example drives it home.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    I had discussion about example vs explanation with my wife yeasterday. I'm an ENTJ with a low chance, and I think that examples can pinpoint some ideas I have. Examples can illustrate princeples, if they are well chosen. It's only a possibility though. There's no general princeple that forces an example to be of any value. So, the value of example is what you make of it. The value of example is what you get of it.

In the end, examples are a tool for teaching.
    I like the bolded, and the end of your statement. A fitting example is one of the best teachers out there.

'How' vs. 'why' is a good way to look at it. I like to learn both, but generally I like to learn the 'how' first, then the 'why'. It doesn't usually work as well for me when I get it the other way around.

I learn best from both.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I probably should clarify further. In some situations N can prefer examples and S can prefer explanations. Examples and explanations can be more practical or more hypothetical.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so

The types that learn best from examples rather than explanations are all of the 'result' ones in socionics: ENFP, ENTJ, INTP, INFJ, ISTJ, ISFP, ESFJ, ESTP (an explanation). Charles Darwin, for example, an ISTJ (though he is commonly typed as INTJ) derived his theory of evolution by watching many examples of it happening in nature until the theory dawned upon him.