• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

For Those Who Questioned THIS

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
OK, maybe my point wasn't clear. My point was that you were against another member's potential for typology-based stereotyping, not that you were stereotyping. You outlined a potential strategy for someone to use typology to stereotype against you, which is presumably a bad thing.

You're reading between the lines and finding things I didn't intend. However, that's not necessarily a bad thing, only surprising, as if you're reading my mind too.

A

Anew Leaf

Indeed, I can identify with some of the thinking styles of the younger ones here. The optimism in being able to type someone with great almost automatic rapidity - that was me back in the early days. The INTP dogmatism, same thing, I found it is something that needs to be outgrown. If you care to, read the following on the INTP:

"As INTPs mature, they continue their quest for logical purity, but now it includes more balance in their activities. An INTP professor, well established in his career, balanced his life with hobbies that were intense and adventuresome. In the space of five years, he was involved in motorcycling, snowmobiling, cultivating tropical fish, setting up a state-of-the-art stereo system, sailing..."

Intriguing. So is this sort of like "tea leaves" for INTPs? In that, they when they are young and overly obsessed with logic and being right over tee tiny details... will eventually grow out of that and use that energy towards keeping guppies?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a sample from a paper I wrote for college English in 1991.

"But the purpose of science has traditionally been either the mere description of natural processes, or the creation of a technology designed to overcome nature and slowly bend it to human purposes. What McNamee is therefore asking for is not only an alteration of man's attitude toward nature, but of science's attitude toward its own purpose for exploring the complex workings of natural processes."

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Intriguing. So is this sort of like "tea leaves" for INTPs? In that, they when they are young and overly obsessed with logic and being right over tee tiny details... will eventually grow out of that and use that energy towards keeping guppies?

It could be male menopause, in the professor's case. It's the balancing of functions that is implied in this, however.

A

Anew Leaf

I have a sample from a paper I wrote for college English in 1991.

"But the purpose of science has traditionally been either the mere description of natural processes, or the creation of a technology designed to overcome nature and slowly bend it to human purposes. What McNamee is therefore asking for is not only an alteration of man's attitude toward nature, but of science's attitude toward its own purpose for exploring the complex workings of natural processes."

Not a bad sample. A little short, but it can suffice in a pinch here. Do you have any posts from INTP that you think would be the best examples of an Apples to Apples kind of comparison? (Perhaps, I could be so bold as to say "guppies" to "guppies"? :D)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not a bad sample. A little short, but it can suffice in a pinch here. Do you have any posts from INTP that you think would be the best examples of an Apples to Apples kind of comparison? (Perhaps, I could be so bold as to say "guppies" to "guppies"? :D)

I would probably have to go back in time another 10 years to find anything similar. But INFJs take a similar approach to technical papers, so is this a very fruitful question? Similarities can sometimes be coincidental.

I don't know what the big deal is when after all I have mentioned quite a few times here that my MBTI scores have tended to be almost even on the N/S scale since the first testing.

A

Anew Leaf

I would probably have to go back in time another 10 years to find anything similar. But INFJs take a similar approach to technical papers, so is this a very fruitful question? Similarities can sometimes be coincidental.

I don't know what the big deal is when after all I have mentioned quite a few times here that my MBTI scores have tended to be almost even on the N/S scale since the first testing.

Oh, it's been very fruitful! Thank you :)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Then the question is, why do I disidentify with the ISTP so much? Because, as I have said, they are often mechanics, or they like to ride motorcycles, many things like that differ. I can't get into the standard ISTP types of careers and hobbies. I am sharply contrasting a completely different ISTP lifestyle with my own INTP lifestyle. I don't like mechanical things, I like complex ideas and systems. A mechanical thing is a Sensor thing; an idea or system, particularly of philosophy and the like, is an Intuitive thing.

So, in this case, I have decided that if you want to compare Mr. INTP to my claim to being an INTP, then it is in his enjoyment of Jung in sharp comparison to my enjoyment of Kant which NEVER comes through on this forum.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think either INTP or mal12345 can both be INTPs. They are so dissimilar with absolutely nothing in common. Clearly only one can be the INTP winner here.
I'm guessing one has functions ok but low iq and a lot of spare time. The other is stuck in a Ti-Si loop.
Which makes them pretty different. :sherlock:
Now I don't mention any names and no one gets offended. :yesss:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm guessing one has functions ok but low iq and a lot of spare time.

135 IQ here, and I put in 90-100 hours every two weeks at work.

Edit - Ti/Si loop, yes obviously, look below my avatar.

A

Anew Leaf

Then the question is, why do I disidentify with the ISTP so much? Because, as I have said, they are often mechanics, or they like to ride motorcycles, many things like that differ. I can't get into the standard ISTP types of careers and hobbies. I am sharply contrasting a completely different ISTP lifestyle with my own INTP lifestyle. I don't like mechanical things, I like complex ideas and systems. A mechanical thing is a Sensor thing; an idea or system, particularly of philosophy and the like, is an Intuitive thing.

So, in this case, I have decided that if you want to compare Mr. INTP to my claim to being an INTP, then it is in his enjoyment of Jung in sharp comparison to my enjoyment of Kant which NEVER comes through on this forum.

Soooo are you saying that iStp's can't do things that don't revolve around motorcycles? :thinking:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
hahaha, Ne! apples to apples... fruitful.... bazinga.

Oh ok, that's nice, because I score crappy Ne on function tests, which means my Si tertiary tends to come to the fore.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Soooo are you saying that iStp's can't do things that don't revolve around motorcycles? :thinking:

No, but if you looked at, say, a list of typical ISTP careers, you would say that an ISTP that did not care for those types of jobs would be highly unusual.

I don't know why I have to answer this same type of question every day here.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This was just posted by someone on another forum: "To imply that ENFPs can't think rationally is incorrect. There are no such things as Thinkers or Feelers - all the types are thinkers and feelers to some degree."

Duh. However, the idea is to determine one's range of preferences. As a low Fe user as I am, and knowing this, you would not consider coming to me with your emotional problems. Not unless you want someone to just stand there listening like a stick of wood with ears and saying "uh huh" instead of giving you a big Fe hug and being all supportive.

Come on people! Typology IS about reality, it's not about some wishy-washy "one world, one love - one personality" mumbo-jumbo.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh by the way, I am constantly amused by how that particular poster continues to worry about her type, and calls herself ENFP or ENTP, etc, but then says there are no such things as Thinkers and Feelers? Then why all the bother with self-type?

jixmixfix

Permabanned

Not everything about an ISTP has to do with mechanics there are many ISTPS that are also into philosophy. For the ISTP philosophy has alot to do with how it benefits their daily lifestyle and how it could be put to good use. Bruce Lee is a good example. There are plenty XSTP types who are engineers.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not everything about an ISTP has to do with mechanics there are many ISTPS that are also into philosophy. For the ISTP philosophy has alot to do with how it benefits their daily lifestyle and how it could be put to good use. Bruce Lee is a good example.

That's interesting, thanks. I know that. And by contrast (since my type seems to be of interest here lately), I am not interested in its practical effects. I freely pursue such matters for their own sake.

A

Anew Leaf

This was just posted by someone on another forum: "To imply that ENFPs can't think rationally is incorrect. There are no such things as Thinkers or Feelers - all the types are thinkers and feelers to some degree."

Duh. However, the idea is to determine one's range of preferences. As a low Fe user as I am, and knowing this, you would not consider coming to me with your emotional problems. Not unless you want someone to just stand there listening like a stick of wood with ears and saying "uh huh" instead of giving you a big Fe hug and being all supportive.

Come on people! Typology IS about reality, it's not about some wishy-washy "one world, one love - one personality" mumbo-jumbo.

Hmm, but you yourself said that you score low on the Ne, so how would that make you an INTP? Ne is one of their hallmarks being that it is their "go to" function for dealing with most people externally? It also helps to feed their Ti with possibilities to think over and ponder.

Could it be, perhaps, that you are actually a repressed ESFJ? Being that you are an older male? :thinking: