• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type your Professor

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Present or past. What type are your professors?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
- 1st semester voice teacher: ISTJ 8w9 Sp/So (about the last type you'd expect a singer to be lol)
- 2nd semester voice teacher: INF? 9w1? Sp/Sx (needless to say we understood each other better than with my first voice teacher)
- English Diction: ENFJ 1w9 So/Sx (she had a vibe like Meryl Streep for some reason)
- choir director: INFJ 1w2 So/Sx (his vibe was somewhat like Ghandi. I've never met someone who was such a team player but at the same time so rational and intelligent. it was interesting meeting someone with such polar opposite desires from myself while still having so much in common with me intellectually)
- English 101: INF? 5w4 Sx/Sp
- music theory: ENFP 6w7 Sx/??
- intro to theater: ESFJ 4w3 So/Sx

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hmm. :thinking:

My Econ professor is probably INTJ; he has a pretty INTJ vibe and he has a very hard time explaining his thought processes to the class, which seems like an Ni thing. (He makes lots of mistakes on the board, that the students end up having to correct -- but he's still incredibly smart, just pretty spacey!)

My historiography professor is definitely IxFx.... Maybe IxFJ. She brings cookies to class every week :wub:

My other History professor is so INTx that it isn't even funny. He's like Dr. House in a lot of ways! Seems like the sort of person who, when in high school, only hung out with people for entertainment value. He also makes intentionally vague and confusing essay prompts just to allow for a more "fun" paper-writing experience -- i.e. a more intellectually stimulating one. Drives the STJs in the class completely bonkers though!

I have NO idea about my Arabic professor... except that he's a P. To the point of being 30 mins late to class sometimes and not acting like it's a big deal. :doh: Some of that could be due to him being on "Arab Time", though (he's Egyptian).

I had a high school US History teacher and a college World History professor who were VERY similar to one another, and both the sorts of teachers who are interesting and funny enough to spark a passion for history in a person -- and I think they're both ESTP.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
My supervisor's probably INJF. He's super nice, sometimes too nice. He goes out of his way to give me opportunities, which is fantastic.

Old professors from old uni:

ENFJ: Very good at explaining things. He took most of the intro phil courses. Very easy guy to approach. When I first started I thought he had to be the head of the department or something with his people skills.

ENTP: A manly, beer and sports type of guy. Very smart and well published. Head of the department for a reason, though he's pretty disorganised.

XNFP?: She was my supervisor in honors and I liked her quite a bit. Really smart and well published but she doesn't get along with everyone else because she's lazy. The department's small, so the ENFJ and INTX end up doing all the work. When she was in grad school, she started dating her professor and is now happily married. Quite a power couple. I have a really hard time figuring out her type.

INTX: Probably enneagram type 1. He does a lot of the grunt work and isn't very happy about it. I wouldn't be surprised if he dropped out of philosophy and went back to his old job as a social worker. He took on all the serious drug abuse cases back in the day.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm. :thinking:

My Econ professor is probably INTJ; he has a pretty INTJ vibe and he has a very hard time explaining his thought processes to the class, which seems like an Ni thing. (He makes lots of mistakes on the board, that the students end up having to correct -- but he's still incredibly smart, just pretty spacey!)

My historiography professor is definitely IxFx.... Maybe IxFJ. She brings cookies to class every week :wub:

My other History professor is so INTx that it isn't even funny. He's like Dr. House in a lot of ways! Seems like the sort of person who, when in high school, only hung out with people for entertainment value. He also makes intentionally vague and confusing essay prompts just to allow for a more "fun" paper-writing experience -- i.e. a more intellectually stimulating one. Drives the STJs in the class completely bonkers though!

I have NO idea about my Arabic professor... except that he's a P. To the point of being 30 mins late to class sometimes and not acting like it's a big deal. :doh: Some of that could be due to him being on "Arab Time", though (he's Egyptian).

I had a high school US History teacher and a college World History professor who were VERY similar to one another, and both the sorts of teachers who are interesting and funny enough to spark a passion for history in a person -- and I think they're both ESTP.

what other reason is there to hang out with people?

N

NPcomplete

My grad school supervisor is probably an XNXP.. Well he is Ne-ful anyway. We can somehow activate each other's crazy switches and even the most serious conversations can take silly tangents.

My undergrad supervisor is probably INTJ. I regretted choosing him at first because he always seemed to push us so hard (too hard?), specially since my friends with other profs were having such easy lives...but all in all, it was a good decision. He could have the best sarcastic lines sometimes..Of course it only entertaining when you're not the subject of it.

Ugh I've had too many profs so I'll just talk about the most memorable ones.

Design prof - INTX. Probably the best prof I've ever had. His office was always open for questions and he knew how to make the hardest topics easy to understand. :worthy:

Civil engineering prof from first year - INTJ. It took a while to get used to him but I like his lecture style. He used to combine architecture and engineering with history. :rock:

Thermodynamics prof - ENTP. A lot of people in my class hated him because he was "irresponsible and told pointless stories" but I think his stories made perfect sense. Or maybe because I learn better from stories..anyway, I liked his class.

Applied math/calculus prof - INTP. He breathed, lived and slept math. His teaching style and my learning style mesh well..

French culture prof - EXFJ. I'm not sure but I could feel the Fe-ooze even at the back of the class.

Organic chem prof - IXTP. His sense of humour was pretty twisted and sometimes his disorganisation would be frustrating but we probably weren't any better.

Physics prof - IXFX. It's just an impression he gives..

Ethics prof - EXTJ. I don't know what to say.. I didn't like him very much.

G

Glycerine

Philosophy professors: ENTP- he looked like a freaking philosopher from the 1700s with the hair, glasses, his clothes.. INTP- it feels like a one hour monologue because people glaze over and don't talk. INXP (leaning towards INTP: logic. Very nice, laidback.

Psychology profs: ENFP (verified)- hated him, condescending, pervy old man who used the class as his test subjects and his own soapbox for his beliefs, ENFP- the most neurotic person I have ever met in my life but very engaging, smart, knowledgeable. IXXJ (I am guessing INFJ)?-scares me... very knowledgeable, high standards, blunt, hard exterior but nice. ENTP- very funny, laidback, VERY BLUNT (but gets away with it... :D),, random.

Anthro profs: INTP- hilarious, entertaining, random, a lot of girls had a crush on him, childlike, slightly elitist but nice...he definitely favored you if you got As because he prided himself in being hard ("if you get A's in my class, then you will succeed in pretty much anything") :D. INFJ- nice, in her own world, high standards. liked a lot of feedback.

I am always under the impression that I drive the XNTP profs crazy but they typically say the customary "It was nice to have you in class" line. :laugh:

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I'm quite sure my old physics teacher was an ISTP.

As for right now, I seem to have quite a few Ti users as teachers... It's to be expected when the subject veers close to sociology, I suppose. :thinking:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My grad school advisor was INTP - a real authority in his field, very insistent that we understood the theory and underpinnings of everything we did. In many ways, he was also the classic absent-minded professor. He would go around in circles analyzing even relatively small decisions, and neglected the administrative side of his research sometimes. Even as a student, I quickly became his organization, setting up a schedule for reports and preparing them for his approval, compiling and formatting proposals, and laying out the options for decisions, including the costs of postponement or doing nothing. His other students thought he didn't give them enough direction, but grad students should not require spoonfeeding. I had no problem setting my own direction and asking for the feedback I needed. We worked well together, and I think he still misses me in the group.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I could feel the Fe-ooze even at the back of the class.
I've had profs like that! :laugh:
what other reason is there to hang out with people?
Um... friendship?

Sure, entertainment value may have something to do with why you became friends in the first place -- but after a while hanging out with them stops being selfish, or at least becomes a lot less selfish.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
notable:

math prof, INTP -- laid back and casual. very smart, into theoretics. the only person who actually ever made me like math. also had a realistic bent (i'm guessing e5w6), used a unit to teach us about mortgages and interest (thank god). used another unit for pure logic. snarky and wouldn't hesitate to make fun of people being idiots, but was always available if you wanted his help. also pretty involved in university life. reminds me a lot of my brother - quite social but really more of a Ti dom than Ne dom.

psych 101 prof, INFP -- one of the sweetest, most out-there professors ever. cancelled class a good 25% of the time, and was often late. went on random theoretical tangents about his time as a practicing psychologist instead of staying on course topic, which to me was way more interesting anyway since it was intro psych. was once voted head of the department because he neglected to show up to a faculty meeting. i liked having 1-on-1 conversations with him. he was above all very compassionate, with a heap of whimsy and a touch of sadness. probably 4w5.

ethics prof, ENFJ -- the kind of person who sets other people on fire. into world religions, ethics, philosophy, feminism. wasn't hesitant to give us the stark statistics about the state of most of the world's quality of life and what greedy bastards we are (but did it in a way that it revealed itself to us instead of her telling us off). has her own farm where she raises livestock for consumption. received a major award the year i had her class because she is that awesome. also had us do community service as part of our class even though it was a 400 level capstone! i can't figure out her enneagram.

writing prof, ESTJ -- she was talkative and witty, blunt and quirky. we had a love/hate relationship, since she was very much the enneagram 1 STJ perfectionistic hardliner and i was (at the time) a loosey-goosey ENFP freshman. i would get annoyed at her because she would micromanage bizarre things like the location of the classroom doorstop and she would get annoyed at me because i couldn't stick to a schedule to save my life. but we had a great mental connection, and in her later classes we would have an excellent time brainstorming together. she was also very humanistic and idealistic, but expressed through STJness, which was really interesting.

anthropology prof, ISFP -- really sweet, softspoken, kind, and very into what it means to be a human being. she opened me to a world more unified than the one i had already pictured, which is pretty incredible considering that my dominant Ne is a connecting function. somehow she resonated with me in a way that i could see through her eyes for little bits at a time. halfway through her career she had a major debilitating accident and instead of turning elsewhere she dove into the culture of disability and became a voice and mirror for the disabled. suspect 9w1.

child psych prof, INFJ -- i could not stand this bitch! i fully admit i am awkward communicating with INFJs sometimes but she was definitely an ice queen. she'd do nasty things like assign 60 pages' worth of blurry PDFs the night before a lab and then storm out of the classroom when she found out none of us read the entire thing. or change a major exam date and not make allowances for taking the test at a different time if you already had 2 other tests scheduled for that day. she talked about children in a way that was a little too clinical for my personal tastes. my ENFJ friend who also took the class liked her, though. the prof was probably 1w9.

counseling prof, INFJ -- the epitome of a counselor; sensitive internally but neutral externally, deeply compassionate and with ample foresight. he taught us how to draw a person deeper and deeper into self-revelation and self-actualization. had the classic Ni gaze. definitely 9w1.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've had profs like that! :laugh:
Um... friendship?
Sure, entertainment value may have something to do with why you became friends in the first place -- but after a while hanging out with them stops being selfish, or at least becomes a lot less selfish.

hmm, maybe it's an So thing

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't really remember any of my college professors all that well unfortunately, but one who made a rememberable impression was my philosophy professor (he taught two of my philosophy courses); INTP 5w6 sp/sx ILI. He seemed like an INTP stereotype, often going into off tangants during class as well as being a thought provoking and well informed person. He also never seemed pleased with the class of whom most students seemed to stupid to understand the material and subsequently wouldn't participate in heavy discussion.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
hmm, maybe it's an So thing
Nah -- I think it's a making-close-personal-friends thing. I totally see where you're coming from, though, if the people you hang out with aren't people you ever plan on opening up to or becoming lifelong friends with.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nah -- I think it's a making-close-personal-friends thing. I totally see where you're coming from, though, if the people you hang out with aren't people you ever plan on opening up to or becoming lifelong friends with.

I've met maybe 3 people in my entire life like that (certainly none in high school)

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Well it's been a while but I'm keen to type some of mine:

Margaret - ENTP - Fascinating to listen to, smart, easy-going, straight talking, hilariously funny, keen to push her students to do well
Misha - ENFP - Quirky, open, enthusiastic, intense, strange exaggerated gestures, seriously smart, hilariously funny, utterly compelling lecturer
Duncan - XNFJ - Super intelligent, friendly, approachable, good listener, dedicated, totally endearing scottish accent, excellent and well-researched lecturer
Vanessa - ENTJ - Bossy, aggressive, plays favourites, unyielding, unsupportive, nasty, arrogant, made my life miserable

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Old philosophy professor, an INTP if there ever was one. Crazy hair, coke bottle nerd glasses, badly timed jokes and all.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Currently, INTJ, INFP, ISTJ and INTP. My favorite is the INTP.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
notable:

math prof, INTP -- laid back and casual. very smart, into theoretics. the only person who actually ever made me like math. also had a realistic bent (i'm guessing e5w6), used a unit to teach us about mortgages and interest (thank god). used another unit for pure logic. snarky and wouldn't hesitate to make fun of people being idiots, but was always available if you wanted his help. also pretty involved in university life. reminds me a lot of my brother - quite social but really more of a Ti dom than Ne dom.

psych 101 prof, INFP -- one of the sweetest, most out-there professors ever. cancelled class a good 25% of the time, and was often late. went on random theoretical tangents about his time as a practicing psychologist instead of staying on course topic, which to me was way more interesting anyway since it was intro psych. was once voted head of the department because he neglected to show up to a faculty meeting. i liked having 1-on-1 conversations with him. he was above all very compassionate, with a heap of whimsy and a touch of sadness. probably 4w5.

ethics prof, ENFJ -- the kind of person who sets other people on fire. into world religions, ethics, philosophy, feminism. wasn't hesitant to give us the stark statistics about the state of most of the world's quality of life and what greedy bastards we are (but did it in a way that it revealed itself to us instead of her telling us off). has her own farm where she raises livestock for consumption. received a major award the year i had her class because she is that awesome. also had us do community service as part of our class even though it was a 400 level capstone! i can't figure out her enneagram.

writing prof, ESTJ -- she was talkative and witty, blunt and quirky. we had a love/hate relationship, since she was very much the enneagram 1 STJ perfectionistic hardliner and i was (at the time) a loosey-goosey ENFP freshman. i would get annoyed at her because she would micromanage bizarre things like the location of the classroom doorstop and she would get annoyed at me because i couldn't stick to a schedule to save my life. but we had a great mental connection, and in her later classes we would have an excellent time brainstorming together. she was also very humanistic and idealistic, but expressed through STJness, which was really interesting.

anthropology prof, ISFP -- really sweet, softspoken, kind, and very into what it means to be a human being. she opened me to a world more unified than the one i had already pictured, which is pretty incredible considering that my dominant Ne is a connecting function. somehow she resonated with me in a way that i could see through her eyes for little bits at a time. halfway through her career she had a major debilitating accident and instead of turning elsewhere she dove into the culture of disability and became a voice and mirror for the disabled. suspect 9w1.

child psych prof, INFJ -- i could not stand this bitch! i fully admit i am awkward communicating with INFJs sometimes but she was definitely an ice queen. she'd do nasty things like assign 60 pages' worth of blurry PDFs the night before a lab and then storm out of the classroom when she found out none of us read the entire thing. or change a major exam date and not make allowances for taking the test at a different time if you already had 2 other tests scheduled for that day. she talked about children in a way that was a little too clinical for my personal tastes. my ENFJ friend who also took the class liked her, though. the prof was probably 1w9.

counseling prof, INFJ -- the epitome of a counselor; sensitive internally but neutral externally, deeply compassionate and with ample foresight. he taught us how to draw a person deeper and deeper into self-revelation and self-actualization. had the classic Ni gaze. definitely 9w1.

your profs are so stereotypical.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My nursing school professors:
Advisor/ psych instructor: Unknown (ISTJ? Maybe INTJ). Very competent, good at what she did. Extremely tough on the paperwork though. She graded my assignments and liked a lot of communication, meetings, and email. When you talked to her it was like she was looking right directly through you to the depths of your soul. She would just stare silently and nod, (implying you to talk more, but you didn't really want to give her more information than you had to.) Made some accurate statements about me that I didn't really want to hear at the time- (ended up being true and helpful) and really truly believed in me and my potential, and therefore ended up being pretty inspiring . Very encouraging for me to go on to much higher learning, masters and doctorate. showed me some schools that I may want to consider and told me what she wished I would consider next.

ESFP: I found her very encouraging and fun. Excellent in clinical nursing. I liked her lectures because they weren't too depthy and boring. They were just fun stories and general information so I could figure out more myself. She bought me a watch for Christmas one year. Some people said they really clashed with her because she had a short temper and was easily frustrated with high anxiety students. Probably most helpful in learning care plans.

INFJ nun (I thought it was funny that we had to title her Doctor Sister, like a screen name): Really lofty about the nursing profession in lectures. I never really listened. It sounded like she was always making a presidential speech. She was very sweet, but I never had her for clinicals or got to know her well.

Unknown type:- Didn't have her much, she was sooooo incredibly general that I actually skipped her lectures for studying most of the time, or just quickly ran down through them. I literally got nothing that I didn't already know from her.

ENTP: Had her for clinical. Probably my favorite professor. Her lectures were sooo difficult and in depth that sometimes I felt like I was in a harder science or medical school. She taught all the hard stuff like neurology and strange pathologies. This lady should have been a physician. My favorite part about her was that I learned, I mean really learned to be a nurse from her teachings. She used to spend time with students by themselves. I remember her asking me really difficult open ended questions about patient conditions. I always asked her for difficult ICU type cases so normally had the hardest patient on the floor with her. Lots of "whys?" Forcing me to talk a lot while she just smiled and nodded with a sparkley "i'm such a good teacher" look in her eye. She was really loopy and quirky at times and had this bizarre sense of humor. One day she left me with an ornery doctor to fend for myself and told me I could handle it and started laughing maniacally. A little too much focus on the fecal disimpactions at times and worded them graphically enough so that I wondered if she was secretly joking. She had some hardcore student followers such as myself, but others just hated her. She was nasty at times to students she didn't like, (I remember one very non-sciency holistic INFJ in particular) and I witnessed it and it was awful. Lots of stories. I got written recommendations from her out of school.

A really nasty esxj adjunct maternity instuctor: She also had her faves, and in this case, I was NOT one of them. Our meetings were sooo painful, she knew I really wasn't into the topic and seriously wanted to fail me out for being "too last minute"- "you think you can slide through just being bright" thought I was going to get sick one day and miss a beat and fail, (which was ludacris.) Had no faith. Used to talk on her cell a lot. Really detail oriented and got angry if you missed the most minor thing. (I guess you have to be that way around babies, but she was really harsh and condescending.) I used to sit in the corner with this one nerdy game loving INTP male from the class and we bonded because she hated us both.

exfx clinical adjunct: By now it was my last semester. She was very encouraging of all of us. Didn't really guide us too much, but was there if we needed her. Always kind, discussions were easy. Always there to lend an ear if we were having trouble.

enfp adjunct: Similar to the above, very motivating "you can do it!" type. Lectures were fluff balls.

isfj adjunct: Hovery, used to tell me to slow down a lot which annoyed me but helped. Be like, "wait, tell me what you are thinking about before you do that, have you considered everything?" And I used to have to go on these long soliloquys about everything I did. But I didn't have her too much.

esfj(?) lecturer: Usually did cardiac stuff, med/surge. Practical, I learned a lot from her lectures because they were general again and didn't get bogged down in too heavy detail but yet gave us what we needed to know for actual practice. Allowed some breathing room, a lot of people thought she was too basic. I thought it helped, getting back to the basics, a lot of stuff you would need to know for a typical day in the hospital without getting bogged down in a lot of tangents or heavy duty stuff.