• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The ISFP Tertiary (example)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
From http://typelogic.com/isfp.html

Introverted iNtuition
Tertiary intuition works best in the background of the ISFP's inner world. Perhaps this is the source of the "gut feeling" SPs consult in matters of chance. However "lucky" the ISFP may be, intuition as a means of communication is a poor servant, evidenced in spoonerisms, and non sequiturs and mixed metaphors.

My wife is a very good example of an ISFP, but she doesn't use spoonerisms, non sequiturs and mixed metaphors. Maybe non sequiturs, but not intended as serious communication. Her use of Ni tertiary was non-utilitarian. It involved word-play of a sort that playfully yet skillfully strings words together in a humorous way that often rhymed. It's hard to think of an example, but I recall how she used to delight in it.

KDude

I just think some turn to it when Se needs more info to flesh out a situation.. (and they're forced to deal with that situation, rather than turn their interest elsewhere). I think in my case, it might be when I play out scenarios in my head (about things I know little about.. other than a few symbolic references). Unlike an INJ though, I hate having to even do that. I don't trust that kind of vision, even though I might act on it occassionally. I always want a better handle on a situation. In worst case scenarios, it might be paranoid about an unknown and what will unfold.

Wordplay sounds relatively fun.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just think some turn to it when Se needs more info to flesh out a situation.. (and they're forced to deal with that situation, rather than turn their interest elsewhere). I think in my case, it might be when I play out scenarios in my head (about things I know little about.. other than a few symbolic references). Unlike an INJ though, I hate having to even do that. I don't trust that kind of vision, even though I might act on it occassionally. I always want a better handle on a situation. In worst case scenarios, it might be paranoid about an unknown and what will unfold.

Wordplay sounds relatively fun.

http://typelogic.com/istp.html
Tertiary iNtuition maintains a low profile. ISTPs are prone to consult "gut feelings" that most probably arise from this function unconsciously. As with other SP types, ISTPs generally lack enthusiasm for theoretical and philosophical issues, and less for the endless discussions in which the Intuitive (especially NP) types so frequently engage.

So far I've noticed that this author does not use a lot of function language. He is talking about Intuition, not Ni or Ne. And then he seems to define intuition as "gut feelings." Word-play is not mentioned for the ISTP although it has the same tert function as the ISFP. But he mentioned "gut feelings" for both.

KDude

I don't think it's necessarily mysterious/gut/primal-like. It could be that way in the midst of action. But I don't think it's giving enough credit to ISPs as people with discrete (rather than primal/mysterious) thoughts. *Gasp* yes, it's true. They can think. It's entirely possible that they can express and be detailed about what they might see on the Ni angle. Rather than just be all animalistic with merely *gut feelings*

Maybe if they were retarded, I guess. There's always that.

wolfy

awsm
I generally lack enthusiasm for theoretical and philosophical issues, and less for the endless discussions in which the Intuitive (especially NP) types so frequently engage.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think it's necessarily mysterious/gut/primal-like. It could be that way in the midst of action. But I don't think it's giving enough credit to ISPs as people with discrete (rather than primal/mysterious) thoughts. *Gasp* yes, it's true. They can think. It's entirely possible that they can express and be detailed about what they might see on the Ni angle. Rather than just be all animalistic with merely *gut feelings*

Maybe if they were retarded, I guess. There's always that.

Nobody said it was always about gut feelings, Intuition is a tertiary type, something rather undeveloped and underused.

KDude

Nobody said it was always about gut feelings, Intuition is a tertiary type, something rather undeveloped and underused.

Underused, yes, but I think gut feelings is kind of a poor way to describe cognition.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Underused, yes, but I think gut feelings is kind of a poor way to describe cognition.

In case you didn't notice, biologists have found neurons in the stomach area.

"According to Michael Gershon, M.D., author of The Second Brain (HarperCollins, 1999), and a neurobiologist at New York's Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center. Gershon recently explained to PT how an independent network of over 100 billion neurons in the gut not only signals our bodies to stress but causes illness. (from Psychology Today: http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/pto-19990501-000013.html )

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Do_you_have_Neurons_in_the_stomach#ixzz1fibukRs0

Thinkist

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I generally lack enthusiasm for theoretical and philosophical issues, and less for the endless discussions in which the Intuitive (especially NP) types so frequently engage.

Of course the NPs can drive me nuts by being endless with their ideas. Sometimes I wonder just how realistic their ideas can be (NJs I find a lot less questionable). Even when SJs engage their Ne I can get a little sickened by it. Nevertheless, some of the NPs I've been around have been OK.

Regarding my own teritary Ni, I find it useful when it comes for planning for the future, and not much else. I don't like to do detailed planning like SJs (with their Si) prefer. In fact I find that sort of planning extremely rigid and immobilizing. I'd rather fill in the details as I go (Se) rather than conceive a whole new plan for a specific scenario (Ne). Tucked under my Se and Ti, it is more prone to not getting out much, and thus I'm not as future-oriented and planned out as NJs.

Finally, I have used it to try and see the big picture in a situation. It's not necessarily an influence on gut feelings, contrary to what typelogic says about Ni in IS_Ps. Not even Se can fully influence my gut instinct (although it could be the main factor), which is something else aside from the 8 cognitive functions.