• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ISTJs and Chronic Pain?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do any ISTJs on this forum suffer chronic pain, or had a chronic pain issue dealt with? Do any non-ISTJs on this forum know any ISTJs who have now or some time in the past issues with chronic pain?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
38% of ISTJs report chronic pain.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

Its the stick in their butts thats causing the pain, or actually wrong type of material for the stick

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Its the stick in their butts thats causing the pain, or actually wrong type of material for the stick

Fiberglass is always a bad idea against mucous membranes.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
It's not just ISTJs, it's ISFJs as well.

When I first learned about this, I thought it was one of the most interesting pieces of evidence supporting the veracity of typology.

It would make sense that Si doms would suffer from chronic pain due to extensive focus on their internal sensations.

I have an ISFJ male neighbor who's 45 and suffers from chronic back pain -- hangs upside down every day for it.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Where did you find this statistic?

Personally I am VERY skeptical of linking anything physical to personality type. It's like typing someone based on facial features; what if they look exactly like a relative who is the opposite type?

redacted

I have an ISTJ friend that has chronic back pain, but he was injured...

Actually... my mom is ISTJ and has chronic pain also, but she has a really fucked up hip and has had many surgeries. She gets migraines all the time, too, but I think she has an eating disorder.

So basically I have no relevant data.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Where did you find this statistic?

Personally I am VERY skeptical of linking anything physical to personality type. It's like typing someone based on facial features; what if they look exactly like a relative who is the opposite type?

That depends on what you mean by "linking." Do you mean causally? Of course it's not causal. Does the ISXJ report more bodily issues because of their dominant function? Maybe. It's just a correlation anyway.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That depends on what you mean by "linking." Do you mean causally? Of course it's not causal. Does the ISXJ report more bodily issues because of their dominant function? Maybe. It's just a correlation anyway.
:laugh: Whew, I'm glad you don't think it's causal! I wasn't necessarily saying you thought that -- but by "linking", I meant saying that type had anything to do with chronic pain OR saying that chronic pain has anything to do with type.

To clarify: it's not that you're saying that they're more likely to have chronic pain -- it's that they're more likely to report that they do? If we're going to rationalize the idea of linking functions to that, I'd say that Se would make more sense. And straying from MBTI -- the Sp instinct would make more sense as linking to that.

But I wouldn't be questioning the correlation if I knew that the source of your statistic was trustworthy -- and you didn't answer my question before. So..?

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
My 16 year old ISTJ suffers from upper back pain but that's because he spends far too much time on his Xbox and is constantly hunched over. I've even brought heavy duty sellotape to strap up his shoulders.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:laugh: Whew, I'm glad you don't think it's causal! I wasn't necessarily saying you thought that -- but by "linking", I meant saying that type had anything to do with chronic pain OR saying that chronic pain has anything to do with type.

To clarify: it's not that you're saying that they're more likely to have chronic pain -- it's that they're more likely to report that they do? If we're going to rationalize the idea of linking functions to that, I'd say that Se would make more sense. And straying from MBTI -- the Sp instinct would make more sense as linking to that.

But I wouldn't be questioning the correlation if I knew that the source of your statistic was trustworthy -- and you didn't answer my question before. So..?

There are a couple sources on the web that I'm aware of. One source simply stated it as a fact, the other source gave the actual percentage which was very helpful. That source mentioned ISFJs as well in this.

I see nothing wrong with this. I see something wrong with asserting, ad hoc, that an Si will report more chronic pain, and then looking for evidence to prove it. At least statistical analysis has a certain correlative relevance.

One thing I have noticed in my personal life is that the ISXJ does not complain overtly about chronic pain. So the actual percentage may be under-reported due to dishonest reporting. And in my experience, the ISXJs have a high tolerance for pain. They are aware of it, and they find means to manage it, but it doesn't keep them from pursuing their activities unless it becomes debilitating. It isn't used as an excuse to quit.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My 16 year old ISTJ suffers from upper back pain but that's because he spends far too much time on his Xbox and is constantly hunched over. I've even brought heavy duty sellotape to strap up his shoulders.

That's why whenever I see an Xbox 360 I do a 360 and walk away from it.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ISXJs have a high tolerance for pain.
I think it's the opposite.
They are aware of it... It isn't used as an excuse to quit.
Oh, well maybe that.

Chronic pain, not personally. Although my hands and feet seem to cramp up very easily.

I don't think it's totally wacky to suggest a correlation. It was probably imagined as an effect of SJs exposing themselves to stress, as well as the sensitivity to such internal imbalances.

Last edited:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think it's the opposite.

Then let me just say that I'm talking about the ISXJ's that I've known.

Oh, well maybe that.

Chronic pain, not personally. Although my hands and feet seem to cramp up very easily.

I've seen and read more references to chronic back pain.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
actually i have an ISTJ friend that also has chronic back pain. lower back if i'm not mistaken.

I have an ISTJ friend that has chronic back pain, but he was injured...

Actually... my mom is ISTJ and has chronic pain also, but she has a really fucked up hip and has had many surgeries. She gets migraines all the time, too, but I think she has an eating disorder.

So basically I have no relevant data.