• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Identify a song in few seconds. Functions?!

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't know the answer to your question but I can leave my example: I'm an ENFP and 90% of my memory is spent on music: memorizing sounds, songs, lyrics, chords, names of bands, etc. I'm a musical encyclopedia. It's also the only thing my memory is any good for.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i can id a song from a few seconds of just the bass coming from a car on the next street. i don't think it has anything to do with functions, i just have a good memory for music/lyrics

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i can id a song from a few seconds of just the bass coming from a car on the next street. i don't think it has anything to do with functions, i just have a good memory for music/lyrics

Well developed aural pattern recognition. I have it too but I have approximately zero ability for memorizing lyrics (I can hear a fragment of a song -music or lyric- and know what it is and where I heard it previously and what I was doing/feeling at that moment but I have no idea what lyric will come next).

redacted

It's just perceiving.

Not a great thing to use MBTI to measure, though.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Im really good at this(but naturally i need to know the song and know its name), so is one friend of mine who i think is ISFP. INTJ friend totally sucks at it, and INFP is like, well he doesent suck, but neither he is especially good.

I think it has more to do with musical intelligence, how important music is for you, how important do you feel recognizing a song super fast is, how important the tone of guitar/bass effect is to you etc etc etc. Maybe some type is naturally well equipped on this, but this type of stuff i think is more learned, maybe some type learns this easier than some other types, but all are able to get good at this if they feel its important.

KDude

If I'm going to label it, then Si and Ne, but I might not exactly bad at it either.. So maybe INTP (the poster above) is right. I'm obsessed with music, so it comes fairly easy too (not lyrics though).

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am really bad at this. I somtimes listen to half a song and think to myself, oh I like this song, and halfway through I realize I already knew the song. The other way around is even worse, I can listen to a song on the radio and think "Hey, nice song, I wonder what it's named.". And then 5 minutes after hearing the song, wanting to ask my sister (who usually knows this stuff) about the song, and while trying to hum the melody, I just don't remember it anymore.

My auditory memory is really crap. But I balance it out by having a very good grasp on my working and visual memory. If I put my mind to it, I can even boast a great photographic memory. But as far as sound is concerned, I just can't process it.

I don't think it has that much to do with cognative functions. Obviously, some types my have an advantage over other types, but it's more to do with how someone stores their memories.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i'm excellent with lyrics and shitty with music. my auditory memory sucks.

Jaguar

Yes, I can do it in a few seconds. I have a musical ear.
My brother tries to stump me all the time by playing songs off his computer. "I have one for you!"
We've turned it into a game.

G

Glycerine

I am shitty with lyrics but I can remember the title and artist when I hear a song even if it's faintly playing in the background and a lot of people are talking. :) I have very heightened senses.

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I'm absolutely terrible at musical memory, but have a thing for lyrics.

N

NPcomplete

I am shitty with lyrics but I can remember the title and artist when I hear a song even if it's faintly playing in the background and a lot of people are talking. :) I have very heightened senses.

I can remember either the title or the artist or the lyrics (unless it's a favourite). I mostly circle the answer before finding it. So instead of remembering Sigur Ros directly, for example, it'd be something akin to: cold (I feel cold when I listen to their music :huh:) -> ice -> Icelandic -> Hopelandic -> :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: Sigur Ros! :happy2:

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Si at its finest!

I think there could be something to this. I've had a couple of strange moments of knowing what song I am listening to before even knowing I'm listening to it and figured out that I am probably identifying the song by only hearing one or two notes of it and recognizing which popular song it belongs to instantly. And this might fit well with having Si-style sensory recognition as a semi-conscious process. My ability to do this also widely varies: sometimes I recognize the song from the first few seconds and sometimes I have to wait to hear the title of the song said in the song to recognize it.

rav3n

I think there could be something to this. I've had a couple of strange moments of knowing what song I am listening to before even knowing I'm listening to it and figured out that I am probably identifying the song by only hearing one or two notes of it and recognizing which popular song it belongs to instantly. And this might fit well with having Si-style sensory recognition as a semi-conscious process. My ability to do this also widely varies: sometimes I recognize the song from the first few seconds and sometimes I have to wait to hear the title of the song said in the song to recognize it.
Si-users (as defined by any of the four primary functions) appear to have this instant recall of the past as a comparison. As an example, my father who's an ESTJ hence high Si-er, recalls the restaurant, date, year and meal he had the best [insert dish]. This dates back to times when he was a child, teenager, any time during his adult years. His memory is near eidetic but not quite and not for everything. Ask him the name of most classical pieces of music playing and he can tell you within a few notes.

Jaguar

My dad is an Si Dom and couldn't identify a song, in seconds, if his life depended upon it.

KDude

If there's anything to that, then I'll say that I've been recently considering if I myself am a Si dominant. Like a perciever oriented one (in strict Jungian terms, or even Socionics, it might still be ISTP /shrug).