User Tag List

First 123

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Yes.
    How often does he listen to music and what does it mean to him?

All Natural! All Good!

hahaha this just happened to me. I went to someone's profile, recognized the song they had by the first two notes, and sure enough I was right.

It also happened a while ago... I heard a bit of one song and thought, it sounds familiar. Then a few months later (yes, months) I figured out which song it was similar to. It wasn't even the same song, it just had a similar melody in some part.

This happens very rarely for me, usually if I think I "recognize" a song, it's actually a different song. i.e. I was wrong.

I thought this was Si related but I'm not sure.
    Strychnine is all-natural,
    So strychnine is all good.
    It's Godly and righteous,
    So eat it, you should.
    Who are you to refuse nature's will?

Don't use the multiquote; it was planted by the devil to deceive us.

Social Role: Asscrack/Piece of Shit/Public Defecator/Spiteful Urinator

A different type everyday - so no need to type me anymore. But feel free to enjoy the sound of your own asscrack.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

That was always my sis and my favorite game on road trips! We could both id a song within seconds- and we are opposite types!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

My son is an ESFP and is excellent with this type of recall. He remembers the lyrics to every song and who sung it, word for word perfect recall of comedy skits, movies, history lectures, you name it. If he's heard it, it's in his brain.

He has tested as an auditory learner.

There are believed to be three primary types of learners:

Visual Learners
    Visual learners learn new skills by seeing and learn new information best through visuals. Using diagrams and other visual methods of learning are recommended for these types of learners.

How can you identify if you are a visual learner? If you learn best and take notes when visual information is being presented, and create your own charts and graphics while learning then you may be a visual learner. Through the use of hand-outs, charts and visual information, the visual learner should be easily able to readily absorb the information.

Auditory Learners
    Auditory listeners learn best through the use of verbal communication and lectures. Auditory learners can have information revealed to them through written works, but in most cases, the information is not going to make sense or “click” until the information has been heard. There are many things that auditory learners listen for while they are learning a new skill. They listen for the tone of voice, the pitch within the voice and even the speed of the person that is teaching the new skill or information. All of this information that has been interpreted is then used when learning.

Auditory learners will benefit from creating recordings of the information that is being taught, as well as benefit from information that has been played back from these recordings. Most auditory learners tend to repeat things aloud, so they are able to easily learn the information that is being repeated.

Tactile Learners
    There are some people that learn better by completing the actual. These people are referred to as “tactile” or “kinesthetic” learners. Through this learning method, the person learns best when they take a hands-on approach to learning. Tactile learners may suffer from a short attention span which can make it difficult to learn new skills unless the hands-on approach is taken.
    ~source: http://www.learningguide.org/learningstyles.htm

Myself, I am more of a visual learner. As I recall, that is the most prevalent type.

Perhaps this song identification function is more related to your learning style than type.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I'm not an audio girl at all, so if I hear a catchy song and want to sing it, I'm one of those who will sing right along, making up my own lyrics as I go, or saying "blah blah blah" if I can't think of anything. But yeah, seems like it could be a learning thing, if I look up the lyrics online I can remember them better.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    My son is an ESFP and is excellent with this type of recall. He remembers the lyrics to every song and who sung it, word for word perfect recall of comedy skits, movies, history lectures, you name it. If he's heard it, it's in his brain.

He has tested as an auditory learner.

...Perhaps this song identification function is more related to your learning style than type.
    I relate a lot to this. I've never been sure whether I'm an auditory or visual learner, since I seem to require one or the other depending on the situation -- e.g. I memorize things better when I talk about them or read my notes out loud in my own words, but I learn manual tasks better when I see people doing them, than when I hear a description of it -- but everything in this thread is making me think that auditory learning may just edge out visual learning, for me. I have very good auditory recall and near perfect pitch (which I attribute to pitch memory; my pitch isn't as good now because I used to have a pitch reference for middle C that I judged everything on, but I need to pick a new song), and I remember quotes and song lyrics very well. I really irritate my friends when we're out at a restaurant and I'll stop mid-sentence as soon as a song starts and go "What is this?? I know it's by Radiohead and I know it's from whatever album has the mountains on it -- Kid A? -- and I remember that the title of the song has nothing to do with the lyrics, but...?!"* and my friends will go "I didn't even notice that there was music playing!"

So yeah -- I'll bet that has a lot to do with quick song identification! That plus natural ability, I suppose.

*It ended up being "Optimistic", once I looked it up.

Myself, I am more of a visual learner. As I recall, that is the most prevalent type.
    Makes sense -- hence the prevalence of flashcards and highlighters in the world! Honestly I'd rather have someone use flashcards on me, than use flashcards on my own -- i.e. ask me questions and see if I can answer them. And the only times I've ever used a highlighter have been when professors ask me to; they don't help me all that much, usually.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    That was always my sis and my favorite game on road trips! We could both id a song within seconds- and we are opposite types!
    My brother tried to stump me this morning with Kajagoogoo, of all bands. All it took was the bass guitar at the beginning and I shouted out the song title.