123 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Default Fi Black and White?

I'm extremely curious- most everyone I know with Fi is incredibly black and white about their morals/values/beliefs- even when they can and will change them.

Which I think is ridiculous. It is like they are correct until they are wrong, and then once they revise their morals, those[/I] beliefs and morals are absolutely correct and everyone else is wrong. So what is up with that?

Example 1: I value Christian beliefs, and everything in the Bible is is absolute and not open to question. But maybe I disagree a little with this here, and a little with this there. But I am allowed to discount some of those beliefs because they don't make sense. But if anyone else does, they are going to hell, because I know what should be absolute. /brings down mighty scepter

Why are people so pretentious as to decide that they get to decide what is right and wrong? Some things I can understand- killing babies is frowned upon by most people. But why do people get so high and mighty over certain things which many people feel are open to debates.

For example, I know many people who have gone from atheist to Christian and it is like they can't fathom how anyone can not believe in God and how those people are going to hell. Seriously? All those years you were an atheist and then you decided, hey, this makes sense! and have no understanding?

Same with an ENFP I know who became Muslim from being Christian. It isn't like she changed when she was a kid. It was in her late 20s. She feels 'naked' without her hijab (even though many progressively minded Muslim women don't wear them- in fact, it draws more attention to you to be white and wearing that sort of garb!). Anyway, she frowns upon people not part of her religion, and has absolutely no understanding for how anyone can believe what she doesn't believe, and that they are immoral, etc.

Anyway, I hate to use religion as my example, but those are the first things that came to mind.

Bonus question- if Fi greatly values logic in a Ti sort of way, does that make them NFP or NTP?

Add: I mean people who use Fi.

@Jack427 you do not use Fe. In fact, I think Fe is an INTJ fail most of the time.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Oversimplified view of functions.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    Oversimplified view of functions.
    I'm not looking for you to tell me I am over simplifying things, because I am.

I want to know why Fi comes off like this.

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post

I think, because it's paired with Te and Te is black and white. The two can't be separated. Fi sees all the different colors, but then once it draws its conclusions, it gets thrown into one of the Te true/false boxes.

Also, you may be misunderstanding your supposedly closed-minded friends.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

I as an INFP cannot relate to that whole stuff at all. I think I am more able to differentiate about positions between black and white than most people I know. For some people, when someone else has done something evil, they cannot view that person anymore rationally, everything they ever did is totally evil and just trying to seperate individual traits or deeds of these people makes you look already crazy to them (you can see that often in politics for example). I don't have such issues. I can see that a person has done something wrong, but that doesn't mean that everything else this person did or is doing is now to be discarded as well.

And in general, I can very well understand that other people see things differently than me. Generally I follow a live and let live approach. Of course, if a person has important views which are totally different from mine, we might maybe not become best friends, but I don't force things on other people or attack them or so. Usually it is me who sees himself confronted though by other types of people who try to force things on me, and that can annoy me.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post

Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    I think, because it's paired with Te and Te is black and white. The two can't be separated. Fi sees all the different colors, but then once it draws its conclusions, it gets thrown into one of the Te true/false boxes.

Also, you may be misunderstanding your supposedly closed-minded friends.
    at least you get the typical Te response which is when you ask them a thing that you do not understand: you do not understand ! xD

I do understand you completly Antimony but I figured myself that intelligent dom Fi's are really most often a slave to Te. But when they trust you they start to show their inner colorful site and that is pretty entp regarding versatility of opinion. the only problem is they dont show that as easily as we do
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Maybe I am just surrounded by wacko Fi/Te minded people? I don't think I am misunderstanding them, because some of them are extremely plain about what they are saying. I try to not make assumptions and read into people's words so I can avoid those sort of misunderstandings.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

i don't think i'm black and white about everything, but i do feel that if i believe in something and i'm passionate about it i'm going to believe in it 100%. otherwise what's the point? but i don't push my beliefs on other people or expect anyone to agree with me.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Some Fi is black and white. Not all of it. But there are always those core beliefs, and all your other beliefs hinge on those. Which is why debating an Fi type can be so annoying sometimes, if you find out that their seemingly shallow belief is impossible to change because it's based on a particular moral value that they will never, ever give up. But since there are so few of those core beliefs, all other beliefs are up for debate, whether the Fi types would like to think that or not -- and those are the ones that they seem certain about, and then change. ENFPs are notorious for this, and it comes from, like @freeeekyyy said, Te simplifying complex Fi beliefs in a clear and concise (but not necessarily 100% accurate) way.

I do think you've been misinterpreting your friends, though; just because they believe something strongly despite not having believed it previously, doesn't mean they can't understand how someone could believe differently. You can believe strongly in God and possibly look down on people who don't, and at the same time understand how someone could be a nonbeliever. And might I add that the behavior you've described can be seen in any type; I may have seen it more from INFJs, than any Fi type!

One last thing: What's open for debate, and what isn't, is completely subjective. Just like Fi types, you, in the OP, made a conscious decision as to what is not open for debate, and what is. Other people may have completely different concepts of that. Other people may think that killing babies is open for debate.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Inferior and tert functions tend to be black and white, same with not very well differentiated aux. I guess its possible to be even dom function dumb.

So it depends on the level of differentiation of function.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read