• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fi Black and White?

G

Glycerine

edit: I see you edited your post while I was responding. I disagree with your categorization of judging being intrinsically black & white.

Unless you didn't read my entire posts, then I can't see how you formed this impression.
I don't think it's both - I think it's neither. I think you're confusing a strong opinion for black & white categorization, which are not the same thing. An easy-going demeanor is also not the same as having no opinion.
I think we can actually agree on what you pointed out. I probably see strong personal convictions as "black and white". Whenever I hear an XXFP state their convictions, I feel like I am going to be judged if I don't agree with their values... like I'm a lesser person for it.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The reason people believe is because they need to.
The rest is up in the air: could be due to personality type, engrained indoctrination, testing, choice, etc.
I really don't understand the reason for the original post, unless it's a rant.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm extremely curious- most everyone I know with Fi is incredibly black and white about their morals/values/beliefs- even when they can and will change them.

Which I think is ridiculous. It is like they are correct until they are wrong, and then once they revise their morals, those[/I] beliefs and morals are absolutely correct and everyone else is wrong. So what is up with that?

Example 1: I value Christian beliefs, and everything in the Bible is is absolute and not open to question. But maybe I disagree a little with this here, and a little with this there. But I am allowed to discount some of those beliefs because they don't make sense. But if anyone else does, they are going to hell, because I know what should be absolute. /brings down mighty scepter

Why are people so pretentious as to decide that they get to decide what is right and wrong? Some things I can understand- killing babies is frowned upon by most people. But why do people get so high and mighty over certain things which many people feel are open to debates.

For example, I know many people who have gone from atheist to Christian and it is like they can't fathom how anyone can not believe in God and how those people are going to hell. Seriously? All those years you were an atheist and then you decided, hey, this makes sense! and have no understanding?

Same with an ENFP I know who became Muslim from being Christian. It isn't like she changed when she was a kid. It was in her late 20s. She feels 'naked' without her hijab (even though many progressively minded Muslim women don't wear them- in fact, it draws more attention to you to be white and wearing that sort of garb!). Anyway, she frowns upon people not part of her religion, and has absolutely no understanding for how anyone can believe what she doesn't believe, and that they are immoral, etc.
Anyway, I hate to use religion as my example, but those are the first things that came to mind.
Bonus question- if Fi greatly values logic in a Ti sort of way, does that make them NFP or NTP?
Add: I mean people who use Fi.
[MENTION=14530]Jack427[/MENTION] you do not use Fe. In fact, I think Fe is an INTJ fail most of the time.

being wrong and occasionally having to reevaluate moral decisions is a small price to pay for the sense of integrity and strength of character that come with strong Fi. on the reverse end, most of the NTPs I know seem to be unsure about everything, yet criticize anyone who has an actual opinion. trust me, without Fi users, your civil rights would be much fewer and far between. respect for human life is a value in and of itself, and naturally present in most FPs. sometimes I feel like NTPs just want everyone to become apathetic, skeptics who don't believe anything and spend all day speculating endless possibilities with no decisions being made. irrational convictions and motivations are still motivations and have driven people to accomplish great things. rationality is a means to a goal, not the goal itself

PS: religious extremism is a different story all together, and one just as frequently (in fact, a lot more so) practiced by NFJs, SFJs and STJs. it really is rarely practiced by FPs at all. what you're talking about pertains much more to Enneagram 1 than it does any cognitive function.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't see how it Fi sticks it head out enough to even notice it that often.

I think INFPs are kind of global in their outlook.. they see many sides. I think they might even project sensitivities on to people when it isn't there (which would be going beyond simply understanding, I guess). It's only on the convictions that they deemed important when the whole black n white thing comes out. Things that they feel are violations on that very global scale, where they see it violates not only them, but something on a general humane level, as they see it. It's hardly petty individualism.

ISFPs are kind of the same. I don't think they like vocalizing a lot of their opinions right away at least. They're comfort seekers.

I could just be talking about Enneagram 9, but I don't think so.

the plurality of IFPs are E9s. it's relevant even if you are talking only about type 9

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm very much inclined to agree with OA and Seymour. Being accommodating, understanding and open-minded is first and foremost in my mind when evaluating an issue. I wish to add to what they already said on how others can mistakenly conclude that Fi see things in black and white. I think some of what I describe is intertwined with Ne, so I will keep it specific to my approach, so as not to wrongly attribute certain aspects to all Fi-users.

I form my evaluations internally and in the process explore many different aspects of an issue: the various arguments for and against, the (likely and known) feelings and intentions of the parties involved, other possible explanations that haven't been explored etc etc. Amongst all this complexity I try to reach a conclusion, albeit one with caveats that acknowledge the imperfect nature of it and the unfortunate drawbacks. In spite of these conflicting issues, I can come to believe very strongly in that conclusion because much thought has been put into it - and in certain circumstance I will become quite passionate in my expression of it.

However, other people can't see this internal process, which can cause them to believe that it did not take place. In some cases, it may be that I haven't clearly conveyed the fact I have considered the various issues and perspectives involved well enough. But just as often (if not, more often) I explain all of my caveats and people ignore them, or perhaps believe them to be disingenuous, and then blame me for being heartless or disloyal or whatever feeling the issue at hand inspires. In fact what is happening is that they choose to see my decision in black and white terms and refuse to take into account the qualifications and sympathetic acknowledgments I raised.

And as a disclaimer (and with full acknowledgement of the irony of adding one), I wish to emphasize that such situations as described above, are actually very rare. Mostly I am accused of being far too accommodating, tolerant, tentative, and even weird or sick for being inclined to defend the, supposedly, indefensible. However, eventually one must draw a line. I can strongly sympathise with a murderer and understand the reasons why he did it, but will still advocate that he be put away for a long time. This is what people seem have difficulty with; the fact that I can be so understanding, and yet so unforgiving at the same time. I suppose this is why they try to peg me as being one or the other in any given situation, when all I am doing is attempting to find the best possible solution among the many shades of grey.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
like all Judgment functions, Fi draws a line in a certain place. so yes, it is black and white - but so are all the other J functions. that's the whole point of them existing. after all, if we didn't draw judgment lines, we couldn't survive.

the thing about Fi is it's a Judgment function maintained internally but applied to people externally - whereas Ti is applied externally to systems. so others can experience the results of Fi very strongly, since they often know it's being applied to them personally, but may not necessarily understand why it is the way it is or where it's coming from. and compare Fe, which uses existing information in the environment, rather than internal information, and as such works on the level of both people - "between" them - and can feel less alien and harsh (though, good god, can it be condescending). and i know that to many FJs and TPs Fe/Ti feels more comfortable, but to us it often feels manipulative - like something is being hidden from us.

honestly though, your examples aren't particularly compelling. i follow the exact same belief pattern as you in regard to christianity. some is valuable; some is less so. this is not a Fi judgment. this is a stance many people in the world hold with many different belief sets and, frankly, is probably more environmentally ingrained than a result of cognitive functions. as far as i have seen, the people who tend to have opinions like that have been raised in families or in places with opinions like that. or they've had some major life-changing (usually traumatic) event during or after the course of which they attached themselves firmly to a certain belief set.

i really don't think it has much to do with cognitive functions at all... i suspect you just have friends with strong religious opinions who happen to use Fi.

G

Glycerine

like all Judgment functions, Fi draws a line in a certain place. so yes, it is black and white - but so are all the other J functions. that's the whole point of them existing. after all, if we didn't draw judgment lines, we couldn't survive.

the thing about Fi is it's a Judgment function maintained internally but applied to people externally - whereas Ti is applied externally to systems. so others can experience the results of Fi very strongly, since they often know it's being applied to them personally, but may not necessarily understand why it is the way it is or where it's coming from. and compare Fe, which uses existing information in the environment, rather than internal information, and as such works on the level of both people - "between" them - and can feel less alien and harsh (though, good god, can it be condescending). and i know that to many FJs and TPs Fe/Ti feels more comfortable, but to us it often feels manipulative - like something is being hidden from us.

honestly though, your examples aren't particularly compelling. i follow the exact same belief pattern as you in regard to christianity. some is valuable; some is less so. this is not a Fi judgment. this is a stance many people in the world hold with many different belief sets and, frankly, is probably more environmentally ingrained than a result of cognitive functions. as far as i have seen, the people who tend to have opinions like that have been raised in families or in places with opinions like that. or they've had some major life-changing (usually traumatic) event during or after the course of which they attached themselves firmly to a certain belief set.

i really don't think it has much to do with cognitive functions at all... i suspect you just have friends with strong religious opinions who happen to use Fi.
I agree with everything you said.
Strong judging functions may come off as "black and white" but the strength of the perceiving functions definitely help tone it down.

A

Anew Leaf

I think we can actually agree on what you pointed out. I probably see strong personal convictions as "black and white". Whenever I hear an XXFP state their convictions, I feel like I am going to be judged if I don't agree with their values... like I'm a lesser person for it.

That is a Fe take on a Fi matter.

If you(general you) don't agree with me: I don't care.

What I care about is people respecting the boundaries.

A

Anew Leaf

I'm extremely curious- most everyone I know with Fi is incredibly black and white about their morals/values/beliefs- even when they can and will change them.

Which I think is ridiculous. It is like they are correct until they are wrong, and then once they revise their morals, those[/I] beliefs and morals are absolutely correct and everyone else is wrong. So what is up with that?

Example 1: I value Christian beliefs, and everything in the Bible is is absolute and not open to question. But maybe I disagree a little with this here, and a little with this there. But I am allowed to discount some of those beliefs because they don't make sense. But if anyone else does, they are going to hell, because I know what should be absolute. /brings down mighty scepter

Why are people so pretentious as to decide that they get to decide what is right and wrong? Some things I can understand- killing babies is frowned upon by most people. But why do people get so high and mighty over certain things which many people feel are open to debates.

For example, I know many people who have gone from atheist to Christian and it is like they can't fathom how anyone can not believe in God and how those people are going to hell. Seriously? All those years you were an atheist and then you decided, hey, this makes sense! and have no understanding?

Same with an ENFP I know who became Muslim from being Christian. It isn't like she changed when she was a kid. It was in her late 20s. She feels 'naked' without her hijab (even though many progressively minded Muslim women don't wear them- in fact, it draws more attention to you to be white and wearing that sort of garb!). Anyway, she frowns upon people not part of her religion, and has absolutely no understanding for how anyone can believe what she doesn't believe, and that they are immoral, etc.

Anyway, I hate to use religion as my example, but those are the first things that came to mind.

Bonus question- if Fi greatly values logic in a Ti sort of way, does that make them NFP or NTP?

Add: I mean people who use Fi.

[MENTION=14530]Jack427[/MENTION] you do not use Fe. In fact, I think Fe is an INTJ fail most of the time.

You could make this exact same case for heavy Ti users as well. Ti is the definition of black and white ;).

G

Glycerine

That is a Fe take on a Fi matter.

If you(general you) don't agree with me: I don't care.

What I care about is people respecting the boundaries.

Hah! So simple but probably true.

EDIT: My mom and I disagree on many of our values but we still get along great in all honesty so that makes sense.

A

Anew Leaf

Hah! So simple but probably true. Even on the "core" values?

EDIT: My mom and I disagree on most of our values but we still get along great in all honesty.

Even more so on the Core Values.

I don't care what other people believe or so long as:

1- It doesn't hurt other people. Ie, "I believe in beating my wife!!!!"
2- They don't desire to change me.

So if you believe the world is flat... that's fine.* I may think you are an idiot for doing so, but I don't care if that is what you truly believe. (*So long as this belief doesn't affect something else... Ie, I am a Geology student trying to get into a PhD program, and you are a flat earth society member who is a tenured professor at the school of my choice. :))

If you don't believe in God... that is fine. Just don't knock the fact that I believe in God.

etc.

G

Glycerine

Even more so on the Core Values.

So if you believe the world is flat... that's fine.* I may think you are an idiot for doing so, but I don't care if that is what you truly believe. (*So long as this belief doesn't affect something else... Ie, I am a Geology student trying to get into a PhD program, and you are a flat earth society member who is a tenured professor at the school of my choice. :))

If you don't believe in God... that is fine. Just don't knock the fact that I believe in God.

etc.
Framed that way, I don't think Fi is quite so black and white as long as there is a good dose of Pe thrown in the mix but I still think that because of the valuative nature of judging functions, Fi can come off sometimes as "black and white".

A

Anew Leaf

Framed that way, I don't think Fi is quite so black and white as long as there is a good dose of Pe thrown in the mix but I still think that because of the nature of the valuation of judging functions, Fi can come off sometimes as "black and white".

Fi is "sort of" black and white internally. Wherein the black and the white may spontaneously decide to change to hot pink and glittery purple.

Conversely I find Fe and Te can be very black and white in their own ways... and usually in a manner that is invasive (to me) since it is external.

So when I see some Je person coming at me with a vendetta on getting me to adhere to something they believe in, then I can come off as being black and white because I don't perceive any reason why not to be. If you want to have a discussion with me to hear my views, great! That would be fun. But if your purpose is to tell me where I am wrong, then buzz off... I am not interested.

I think of this process as a Non-Newtonian Fluid. Let me be me in it's natural state and I am just corn starch and water. But throw a bunch of loud noises at me and I become a blobby, bouncy solid ala:

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Really? When does this happen?
Basically, the functions just change the way stupidity is projected. E.g. a typical stupid Se-dom will not take birth control seriously and end up with more children than planned. OTOH, a typical stupid Fi user will think people that have different religious views are unworthy.

Stupid Fi user (she is stupid, the function is fine):

Smart Fi user:

Being smart, in Fi case, doesn't mean being neutral, it just means using a reasonable parameter.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Basically, the functions just change the way stupidity is projected. E.g. a typical stupid Se-dom will not take birth control seriously and end up with more children than planned. OTOH, a typical stupid Fi user will think people that have different religious views are unworthy.

Smart Fi user:

Being smart, in Fi case, doesn't mean being neutral, it just means using a reasonable parameter.

Aah, ok, so we're just talking manifestation of function with "stupidity" taken into account. Got it.

Not sure if I agree, but interesting theory. I think alot more than just Se-users fail to use birth control, and alot more than just Fi-users think that anyone who doesn't believe as they do is unworthy.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think alot more than just Se-users fail to use birth control, and alot more than just Fi-users think that anyone who doesn't believe as they do is unworthy.
Right. Anyone can do these, but I believe there is some correlation. Thought it was too obvious to mention. :alttongue:

It is just a vulnerability. The fact a pokemon isn't vuln to fire doesn't mean fire won't affect him. It just means he will be less affected. :nerd:

Somehow I think ''The retarded functions'' thread is in accordance with my theory.
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51273&p=1701570&viewfull=1#post1701570

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Smart Fi user:

I like this post :cool:

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Right. Anyone can do these, but I believe there is some correlation. Thought it was too obvious to mention. :alttongue:

It is just a vulnerability. The fact a pokemon isn't vuln to fire doesn't mean fire won't affect him. It just means he will be less affected. :nerd:

Somehow I think ''The retarded functions'' thread is in accordance with my theory.
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51273&p=1701570&viewfull=1#post1701570

I bet if you did a study, you would find no correlation between people with kids due to lack of birth control, and Se, for instance. I don't see it. Too many other variables involved to draw a broad, general conclusion like you are doing.

Two people fucking: one Se-user and one non-Se user. The non-Se user also fails to use birth control, and pops out a kid. It takes two to tango. We're talking more environmental influence, age, relationship variables, etc. than we are function-relation. Factors other than intelligence and smartness come into play also, to render a stupid outcome. Some of the least-intelligent, "stupid" people I know as defined by "retarded use of function" have less stupid outcomes, because they are smart in certain ways and they have certain skills. (Simple, and not intelligent or smart on a large scale, and certainly not by your defintion.) Some of the more intelligent, smart people I know also produce stupid results. People are not cut-and-dry. They're individuals.

G

Ginkgo

Fi looks black and white from an external perspective because... it is. Environmental variables are not relevant by definition, so the values don't change from situation to situation. Arguing with the Fi user won't matter because your words are also external variables.

(This is obviously simplified -- no one has a feeling function that's 100% introverted, not to mention all the other extroverted functions.)

All introverted functions are in that camp; without extraversion everything outside of ourselves would be treated as irrelevent.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I bet if you did a study, you would find no correlation between people with kids due to lack of birth control, and Se, for instance. I don't see it. Too many other variables involved to draw a broad, general conclusion like you are doing.

Two people fucking: one Se-user and one non-Se user. The non-Se user also fails to use birth control, and pops out a kid. It takes two to tango. We're talking more environmental influence, age, relationship variables, etc. than we are function-relation. Factors other than intelligence come into play also, to render a stupid outcome. Some of the least-intelligent people I know have less stupid outcomes, because they are smart. Some of the more intelligent, smart people I know also produce stupid results. People are not cut-and-dry. They're individuals.
You are right, there are countless factors. But I believe Se-doms are the most impulsive types, and this is a reasonable outcome to expect from impulsivity, specially if the Se-dom in case isn't very smart, so I think it is a pretty valid variable to be used in this case. See, a dumb INTP might not even know where he should put his penis, but he is much more likely to spend a lot of time contemplating possibilities before engaging into the activity. 2 guys I used to work with were both ESTPs with 4 children. They don't fuck around. I really don't have much to add...but feel free to believe functions don't affect expected weaknesses. :weirdbanana: