User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    People seem to forget that xxFPs are generally described as diplomatic, and that we're also pegged as easy-going & accommodating. It's funny how in one breath a person says xxFPs are stubborn & black & white, and in the next, they'll say we can't make a decision & are too nice in a weak way; it's whatever suits their argument of the moment, I suppose.....
    They typically are but when it comes to their values, they can come off very black and white. It can be seen in a lot of threads where several Fi users are arguing over completely different value sets. That's true of a lot of folks though.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Fair enough.. but wouldn't you agree that they work in tandem.. or are informed from the other?

I don't even want to ask that, because I know you would.
    I do, yes. But this thread is about Fi, not Fi and the other functions that make up a given personality.

IFPs, and ITPs for that matter, can be pretty closed-minded sometimes. EPs aren't so bad. (and are probably more open than IPs, IJs or EJs)
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    They typically are but when it comes to their values, they can come off very black and white. That's true of a lot of folks though.
    Is it anything to do with Fi then or is this simply a matter of how people react when their values are questioned?

I don't think IFPs come off any more black & white than any other person, and I'd argue (well I did already somewhat) that they may comes off LESS SO than the average person.

There's even that Dario Nardi study showing IFPs listen the most intently to others, not creating a rebuttal mentally when someone else is speaking, but truly processing what that other person is saying. Sure, they may then go on to disagree, but the other person is given a fair chance. Is that a black and white way of thinking or someone who is open & seriously considers other viewpoints? Guess which type stops listening to others very quickly to determine "relevancy"? The Ti types....funny how it's often ENTPs making this accusation about Fi stubbornness; might they be projecting their own attitude?

Again, associations with IFPs being accommodating, easy-going, "live and let live" are HEAVY.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    IFPs, and ITPs for that matter, can be pretty closed-minded sometimes. EPs aren't so bad. (and are probably more open than IPs, IJs or EJs)
    I suppose I agree with that too..

As long as we don't mistake close minded with being outright vocal about it. I don't think it's common to see any with authoritarian personalities, where expressing their views can be seen as part of their social style. In which case, it doesn't matter what they think. If people are bothered by what they think, then that would be their problem.

Every so often a situation could come up where the IP is pushed into being more vocal, and remains rigid about something, but I think more than half of the time, it's to due to someone meddling in the first place.

Glycerine

Is it anything to do with Fi then or is this simply a matter of how people react when their values are questioned?

I don't think IFPs come off any more black & white than any other person, and I'd argue (well I did already somewhat) that they may comes off LESS SO than the average person.

There's even that Dario Nardi study showing IFPs listen the most intently to others, not creating a rebuttal mentally when someone else is speaking, but truly processing what that other person is saying. Sure, they may then go on to disagree, but the other person is given a fair chance. Is that a black and white way of thinking or someone who is open & seriously considers other viewpoints? Guess which type stops listening to others very quickly to determine "relevancy"? The Ti types....funny how it's often ENTPs making this accusation about Fi stubbornness; might they be projecting their own attitude?

Again, associations with IFPs being accommodating, easy-going, "live and let live" are HEAVY.
    Like I said, it really depends on what it is. I would argue that in general IFPs come off more black and white than the average person when their values are questioned but are very open and easy going most of the time. That's the nature of Fi because the values are from within and static...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I suppose I agree with that too..

As long as we don't mistake close minded with being outright vocal about it. I don't think it's common to see any with authoritarian personalities, where expressing their views can be seen as part of their social style. In which case, it doesn't matter what they think. If people are bothered by what they think, then that would be their problem.

Every so often a situation could come up where the IP is pushed into being more vocal, and remains rigid about something, but I think more than half of the time, it's to due to someone meddling in the first place.
    Yeah, that sounds about right to me.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    Like I said, it really depends on what it is. I would argue that in general IFPs come off more black and white than the average person when their values are questioned but are very open and easy going most of the time. That's the nature of Fi because the values are from within and static...
    See, this statement you make seems more black & white to me because it has no support or explanation other than "this is what I've personally seen & how I interpret it", and there's a lack of effort to consider arguments made in contrast to it.

This is mainly what has been offered in this thread in support of the OP: "I've tagged someone an Fi type, and they display behavior I interpret as black & white, so therefore Fi is black & white". This seems a very faulty argument to me for numerous reasons, mainly because there's nothing to connect the attitude to Fi nor any explanation of why Fi as a mindset would work this way or how it works so that it appears that way.

I'm waiting for someone to provide an actual argument on how & why Fi would work as a black & white way of classifying value when making judgments, other than "my highly questionable anecdotal experience & biased impression says so".
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Glycerine

See, this statement you make seems more black & white to me because it has no support or explanation other than "this is what I've personally seen & how I interpret it", and there's a lack of effort to consider arguments made in contrast to it.

This is mainly what has been offered in this thread in support of the OP: "I've tagged someone an Fi type, and they display behavior I interpret as black & white, so therefore Fi is black & white". This seems a very faulty argument to me for numerous reasons, mainly because there's nothing to connect the attitude to Fi nor any explanation of why Fi as a mindset would work this way or how it works so that it appears that way.

I'm waiting for someone to provide an actual argument on how & why Fi would work as a black & white way of classifying value when making judgments, other than "my highly questionable anecdotal experience & biased impression says so".
    It's the same thing as the "Fe is fake" argument, lol. It's all about anecdotes and pseudoscience research. There isn't much to scientifically prove things with MBTI. I will admit to my bias. Several Fi users in my life came off as really "black and white" with their values because they are static.

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    black and white about beliefs-

@Jack427 you do not use Fe.
    "You do not use Fe."

Apparently, type is irrelevant when it comes to posting in black and white absolutes.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Perhaps the black-and-whiteness may not be exactly genuine, some people just choose to take a stronger position on things, whether for the sake of argumentation or just a general stance that they integrate into their persona. Either way, the problem lying with how they present themselves rather than in cognitive dissonance.