• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What do Sensors think about when on auto pilot?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
as an ENFP (I can't speak for all Ns) my brain at rest at rest is constantly comparing/contrasting, coming up with bizarre ideas, categorizing things and thinking about the future.

so what kinds of things are going on in Sensor's brains when they're relaxing? is it the same as Intuitives? is it more concrete or simplistic?

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Well to some on here i'm a sensor, to others i'm an intuitive and the tests state 55%/45% but it's all perception.

In my early twenties i lived in the present moment and loved it. Now i am always thinking about the future and really need to be present in the here and now.

My thoughts are ever evolving. I take new knowledge and mold it into ideas which i can move forward with. As i've stated many times, i'm just trying to connect dots. I wish it was simplistic thinking but unfortunately not. My brain hurts sometimes (well technically not but you know what i mean)

As i was trying to fall asleep last night i was thinking to myself what the difference between nuclear fusion and nuclear fission is (google helped me this morning with that query) and this morning as i woke i was thinking if someone wanted to commit suicide and didn't have a will but wrote a note before they committed the act, in a court of law would it be considered inadmissible as one usually writes a will when of sound mind and it could be argued that if someone was about to commit suicide they infact may not of been of sound mind and it's not like you can ask the individual as they'd be dead.

Yeah.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
usually when I'm on autopilot I daydream and I usually daydream about the following

1) Dancing
2) Some fantasy story that I read recently or that I've cooked up in my head
3) I picture myself giving a lecture to someone about a topic that I'm really interested in.

Make of that what you will

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
usually when I'm on autopilot I daydream and I usually daydream about the following

1) Dancing
2) Some fantasy story that I read recently or that I've cooked up in my head
3) I picture myself giving a lecture to someone about a topic that I'm really interested in.

Make of that what you will

sounds very NFP-ish =P

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you picture yourself dancing?

actually, I usually picture myself killing things with a sword and taking on huge armies, either by myself or as the main battle strategist. usually there is some type of magic involved and I have super human abilities like the ability to jump 20 feet in the air and moving much faster than should be possible

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Drinking, fucking, and smashing things, obviously.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Since when does anyone think when they are on autopilot? Isn't autopilot something that happens when you start just doing stuff without thinking?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i think a lot of us go into auto pilot in the car don't we? or while getting dressed for work...or making dinner? those things we do everyday all the time?? i know i do...my mind is often on a million other things.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Since when does anyone think when they are on autopilot? Isn't autopilot something that happens when you start just doing stuff without thinking?

autopilot means you are either relaxing or don't have to think consciously about what you're doing

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
autopilot means you are either relaxing or don't have to think consciously about what you're doing

That's a weird definition of autopilot, I see it the same way as Luna, where you're not really thinking.

If you're defining it as "relaxing", well hell that could be thinking about anything. Might as well ask what you think about when you walk down the street, or "what do you think about when you think?"...it's so broad as to be meaningless.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

That's a weird definition of autopilot, I see it the same way as Luna, where you're not really thinking.

If you're defining it as "relaxing", well hell that could be thinking about anything. Might as well ask what you think about when you walk down the street, or "what do you think about when you think?"...it's so broad as to be meaningless.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My brain is rarely relaxing. It's moving until I fall asleep. What do I think about? The things I become interested in. I set goals and then unconsciously and consciously fulfill them. Sure, I have fun while doing it sometimes, but, I wouldn't say I ever really relax until I am so exhausted I die out.

KDude

I'm not sure if I think that much on "autopilot". I need something to bounce ideas off of, a stimulus.. then I think about that. It works as a springboard to all kinds of random topics, but I don't have an imagination that works in a vacuum (like pure daydreaming or whatnot).

I'm not one to zone out and just "flow" easily either (not without drugs at least...which I don't do anymore btw. ahem). I think I'm kind of internally controlled, questioning, etc..

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
sounds very NFP-ish =P
Ne is Ne, regardless of whether you're an NFP or an SFJ (or an STJ!).

I do a lot of the same things you do -- free association, categorizing, dreaming up hypothetical scenarios. I think about what I'm going to do for the rest of the day, I wonder where I'm going to be in the fall of 2013, I reminisce and relive old memories and decide on their meaningfulness or lack thereof. I often do a lot of philosophical thinking when I'm idle -- though not the grand-scale kind of philosophical thinking, e.g. wondering how the world will be in a billion years, but the more grounded and relevant type of philosophical thinking. What are my life goals, and how will I apply meaning to my life? Should that meaning be created now or when I graduate? What are my internal standards, and why are they different from everyone else's -- and why do I apply my harshest rules only to myself and no one else? And I do this sort of philosophical thinking with the intent of finding an answer -- not asking the questions just for the fun of it.

Of course, I'm usually not idle or on your definition of autopilot; I surround myself with external stimuli (people, music, jobs, tasks, homework) to the point that I rarely think about those deep things -- which is why I ask them almost every time I'm idle.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Seriously? All you other Ns out there constantly have stuff on your mind? Half the time my brain is just like "derp". Completely. Empty. Or at most "half thinking" about things, letting thoughts just come into my head bit by bit like an ocean's waves.