User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Default What do you do to calm yourself down when you're anxious?

I was thinking about that. I do a lot of S things to calm down, like looking at old photographs, handworking, hugging, running slowly for half an hour, focusing on every single part of my body, trying to "feel" the things around me while thinking about nothing.... They're things I don't usually like doing, but they help a lot when I'm anxious. So I was guessing: is it the same for everyone? Are there differences between N/S types?
    INFP 9w8 5w4 4w5 sx/sp/so
    Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Te

MBTI
    yupp

nothing works for me.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

I exercise, meditate, and/ or try to look at the positive things in my life.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

manu stuprare
    INTJ 5w4 sx/sp 584 ILI-Ni

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'm not very good at changing my moods, so I don't usually try. Usually I just have to let the storm pass. It's usually gone the next day, especially if I sleep well, although sometimes I do get sort of a "grumpiness hangover" where I just wake up in a bad mood because I was grumpy the week before.

I did divert myself from being irrationally furious awhile ago by kicking a ball hard against the house for a while and then playing a fairly mindless yet entertaining simple computer game for an hour or so, drinking an herbal tea. It calmed me down enough to sleep, anyway.

edit: oh, one thing I used to do that worked pretty well was go out walking in random directions until exhausted, looking at things while thinking about whatever it was. haven't done that in a while for whatever reason.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTJ

Hmmm... I don't really do anything to relieve my anxiety, for I allow such to flourish about. It is what gives me power. I feed my anxiety with treacherous mastermind plots that do absolutely nothing.

MBTI
    INTP

breathe really deep

air is fantastic

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Take a bath. I take a bath almost every night. It works to relax the muscles.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by iris.moon View Post
    I was thinking about that. I do a lot of S things to calm down, like looking at old photographs, handworking, hugging, running slowly for half an hour, focusing on every single part of my body, trying to "feel" the things around me while thinking about nothing.... They're things I don't usually like doing, but they help a lot when I'm anxious. So I was guessing: is it the same for everyone? Are there differences between N/S types?
    I think it can be very soothing and helpful to try and ground oneself with the present moment when one is feeling very anxious and worried.

Some things that help me:

• Taking a walk or bike ride outside, or doing a work out on my elliptical. (Something to make my body move and make me focus on the present instead of being lost in my head.)
    • Breathing REALLY deeply into all lobes of my lungs. (This sounds really bizarre when written like that , but it works. There are calming receptors on the lower lobes of our lungs that help trigger a calmer mood. I usually try laying down in bed or sitting comfy on the floor and then slowly inhaling and exhaling.
    • Calling/Emailing a friend.
    • Journaling
    • Watching an old movie that I love/makes me laugh/makes me cry/etc.
    • Taking a relaxing bath with instrumental music and reading a book
    • Cleaning/Organizing my house

garbage

General anxiety is more difficult for me to dissect and deal with. But if there are just one or two things that I'm really worried about, then I find it's helpful to exaggerate the problems and my reactions to them in my own mind. Sort of analogous to a reducto ad absurdum process.. sort of. It helps me make light of the situation, it makes me feel less oriented toward "punishment" and more toward "achievement," and it leads to a perspective of "wanting to" do something rather than "having to" do it.

It's all about properly framing a problem and my perspective on it. I ask myself--what are the potential consequences, and are they actually so bad? I've learned that it turns out there are very, very few things where the end consequence really matters as much as I'd think at first glance. If I find out I can't have kids or if I can't achieve tenure, for example, then I can work around those things in the long run.

Talking it out with some trusted folks might help with the whole framing process, too.