User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Changing type?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default Changing type?

I wonder if people believe it is possible to change your true type. I am not talking about being mistyped, thinking you were an INTP and turning out to be an INFP, but something much more drastic. Maybe like actually evolving into an INFP to ESJP or something (a huge stretch, I know!).

I personally do not believe that such a thing is possible. I was posting on another forum about this and people are really attacking me for my opinion. I think all they hear me saying is "people never change," but that isn't what I really mean. I believe people can change their habits, learn new things, better themselves and just become more well rounded, but essentially they will always be the same type. I can learn to organize my notebooks better, but that won't turn me into a J.

Tell me what you think!

MBTI
    INFP

I don't know.. ESJP is quite a stretch.

MBTI
    Zzzz

It's just evolving as a person, balancing oneself. You don't change your 'type', per se, you just learn to access other aspects of your personality without being hindered by them as you may have once been.

I can learn to organize my notebooks better, but that won't turn me into a J.
    Another of those J vs P stereotypical things, huh. Jeez. That never made you either a P to begin with. I have a consistently messy room/desk/whathaveyou and I'm a "J".

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Heehee, I know! Maybe something like INTP to INTJ would be a more "realistic" example?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

I agree
    I think that our character becomes more apparent as we grow,
    and that as children, although not fully flowered,
    our personality was in its most simple stages, therefore, easily read

this is what clued me into being an INFJ instead of an INTJ
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by DeliriousDisposition View Post
    It's just evolving as a person, balancing oneself. You don't change your 'type', per se, you just learn to access other aspects of your personality without being hindered by them as you may have once been.

Another of those J vs P stereotypical things, huh. Jeez. That never made you either a P to begin with. I have a consistently messy room/desk/whathaveyou and I'm a "J".
    I agree, I agree!

Ahhh, I know, sorry sorry, please don't take it personally. I couldn't really think of a better example, I am not exactly an expert on MBTI and all the types.

MBTI
    Zzzz

Quote Originally Posted by Clover View Post
    I agree, I agree!

Ahhh, I know, sorry sorry, please don't take it personally. I couldn't really think of a better example, I am not exactly an expert on MBTI and all the types.
    lol I guess my edited "" at the end of my post didn't make it in time !

I'm not upset, no worries~

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

i'll go with the flow here, I think it is possible to evolve into a more well-rounded personality, but the essence of the person will always be the same.

For an instance, I was hopelessly bad at technical stuff except computers, a few years back. BUT, I practiced and practiced, now i'm quite the handyman, but my talents are social rather than mechanical.
    And another thing that made me drastically different was when I fell in love for the first time. For real. It really helped me evolve my feeling sides, and especially the art of reading the other person and showing affection a lot, instead of just assuming the other person knows what i'm feeling.

I can't seem to evolve away from my fascination with war and guns, though
    edit: (i've seen a bomb go off killing a couple of people in spain and I've seen death on other occasions, so that just makes me a sicko.)

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Whatever attributes of mine that happen to contribute to my being an ENFP, I strongly believe I was born with. Personality wise, to this very day, I am very much the same way I was as a five year old. My general affect and proclivities have more or less not changed.

But then again, I have always had a strong sense of "self", and this seed of consciousness of mine that germinated and emerged from deep within, despite environmental circumstances, has worked to carve my personal identity.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Haha. I'm hoping to be an EIJP.

But yes, I agree that type won't change easily. If at all, it would be for a borderline E/I who by using their auxiliary function a lot manages to tip over to the other side of the E/I.
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA