User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Changing type?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

As much as I understand, the type shows what people actually PREFER to use and I'm pretty sure this won't change (unless perhaps one already is borderline-something anyway). But it is possible to learn to handle the opposite functions and get quite comfortable at them. For example, I am extremely N, but I actually pay special attention to experience and grow S. So I could 'switch it on' when needed... But never mind how good I might get at S, I'm sure I'll always PREFER to use N by default. Something like that.

MBTI
    ENFP

I am curious about this also and it came up in another thread; I know someone who was very into MBTI and claimed that they were an INTP however, now they frequently test as ISTJ which I feel is qute a jump, however, there are several factors that may have a bearing on such a dramatic change this person went through several life changing events several years ago and also had a neurological problem as part of an accident, although they have recovered almost everyone who knew him previously agree that he has changed throughout his life. Not sure though if this can be considered as a definite change to another type or an INTP with a neurological problem if you know what I mean... I can;t imagine evolving into a different type mind you for a ENFP it might just be a case of growing up
    ... couldn't drag me away

Željko Ražnatovic: argus
    Željko Ražnatovic: do you want heir's?
    WildHorses: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Željko Ražnatovic: to carry your genealogical code??

MBTI
    INTP

The consensus in this thread seems to be that it is not possible for a person's type to change. However, all support for this has been given in the form of either a simple statement of belief or a generalization from a particular instance to all instances. Can anyone provide a plausible explanation for why it can't happen? Or even reasonable proof that it can't happen?

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne
    It's possible, mine drastically changed a few times in the past.
    Given that TheChosenOne isn't lying or deluded, this is sufficient to disprove the proposition, "it can't happen."

Quote Originally Posted by laughingebony View Post
    Given that TheChosenOne isn't lying or deluded, this is sufficient to disprove the proposition, "it can't happen."
    He is the chosen one...
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    I

Yeah, I was surely an ESP child, and changed significantly at age 10. ISTJ all the way up to around age 19, when stress and other factors caused a shift to ESTP. Changed back a year later.

MBTI
    INtj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Clover View Post
    I wonder if people believe it is possible to change your true type. I am not talking about being mistyped, thinking you were an INTP and turning out to be an INFP, but something much more drastic. Maybe like actually evolving into an INFP to ESJP or something (a huge stretch, I know!).

I personally do not believe that such a thing is possible. I was posting on another forum about this and people are really attacking me for my opinion. I think all they hear me saying is "people never change," but that isn't what I really mean. I believe people can change their habits, learn new things, better themselves and just become more well rounded, but essentially they will always be the same type. I can learn to organize my notebooks better, but that won't turn me into a J.

Tell me what you think!
    I think more or less the same. That's boring, right? As was mentioned elsewhere, the function order might change, and might be a good development, but your main type will stay the same. Your type is often also visible in your basic appearance, and I don't guess that changes too much.
    INtj | 9w1

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by Llewellyn View Post
    I think more or less the same. That's boring, right? As was mentioned elsewhere, the function order might change, and might be a good development, but your main type will stay the same. Your type is often also visible in your basic appearance, and I don't guess that changes too much.
    But if your function order changes enough, won't your main type change?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    It will, indeed, since one's type is defined by her function order, at least under the Myers/Briggs/Jung theory. Kiersey kind of dismissed cognitive functions.

MBTI
    INtj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Yeah, I was surely an ESP child, and changed significantly at age 10. ISTJ all the way up to around age 19, when stress and other factors caused a shift to ESTP. Changed back a year later.
    This calls for an analysis. My first reaction: I don't believe this. Then so what happened is that under stress a.o. you developed dominant Se, secondary Ti, where you first had dominant Si and secondary Te. Superficially, it looks like you changed orientation of your dominant S and secondary T. I suppose this could well be possible, since an SiTe will typically have fairly well developed SeTi. Another association: you might've temporarily shifted to an ISTJ's right brain double agents (see here).
    Now, I guess it is possible that under stress a left brainer can shift to his right brain.
    Since you say you were an ESP child, it could also be the other way around, that you shifted to an ESTP's left brain double agents (being SiTe).
    But you consider yourself an ISTj now. I'm wondering if you're an ISTJ who used to be more 'social' (i mean, whatever that is) when you were young? It's hard to say, this is my take for now.

It's whatever you take as your basis. I would never take one, but see from multiple how the picture evolves.

It will, indeed, since one's type is defined by her function order, at least under the Myers/Briggs/Jung theory. Kiersey kind of dismissed cognitive functions.
    I don't agree. Your function order typically leaves room open for multiple types.
    INtj | 9w1

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

The consensus in this thread seems to be that it is not possible for a person's type to change. However, all support for this has been given in the form of either a simple statement of belief or a generalization from a particular instance to all instances. Can anyone provide a plausible explanation for why it can't happen? Or even reasonable proof that it can't happen?"
    This is a tricky topic. Your four primary function types, especially your first two, pretty much rules out a lot of other types you could be. Granted, it's not always going to be in the same order. My Se scores higher than my Ti sometimes, but the rest of my function order looks ISTPish, and there's no way I'm an extrovert. So no, your function order is not always going to -exactly- line up to your type. What -is not- likely is that an ISTP would have a strong and healthy Fi or Ne (My 7th and 8th functions).

But completely altering your function order? Now your four primary functions develop throughout life. Keep in mind that as a child, your primary function is really the only one that's developing. So TheChosenOne, for example was primarily an Si child. I can imagine an Si child looking like an ESP, simply because they're craving data all the time. Especially when you're still developing preferences at this time... He was developing both Si and Se, but Si took role of his primary function, and Se as a shadow function to his Si. Next, in your teens, you develop your second function. Your third comes in roughly around your 20s, and your fourth comes in around 30ish or so.

So as a child, it could be possible to switch to another function preference. After all, your primary function is still developing. In your teens, it's a little less likely. 20 and beyond, I think the only way that could happen is if the individual was EXTREMELY undeveloped, underwent extreme stress, or was in some bizarre accident. And your preference for your dominant two functions would either have to decrease (Very unlikely, as it took your entire life to develop them), or they would stay the same, and relatively weak functions shot up in strength (And be used more positively than negatively). If that were to happen, that would be one badass individual. They'd be more balanced than most, which sounds questionable if the person went through a stressful incident or accident.

Now here's what might appear like a personality change: Your shadow functions coming out. These are functions 5-8. Unlike primary functions, they usually only show up in negative circumstances (or over a significant period of time as an individual balances out). Under extreme stress, you may live almost entirely in your shadow functions, primarily your more developed 5-6 functions. But they would very rarely be used in a healthy manner. Now for TheChosenOne, his fifth and sixth functions are Se and Ti, respectively. So under this period of stress, he looked nearly identical to an ESTP in his late teens. So yeah, of course he would test as an ESTP. Before this stress, he really only depended on his Si + Te. His relief function, or his 3rd function, was barely, if at all, developed. Therefore, once his first two functions were exhausted, he couldn't tap into that 3rd function like an ISTJ in his 30s or 40s could. Instead, he relied on his Opposing function and Critical Parent function (5 and 6... see link above :P).

Okay, anyways, in a way, it looked like a personality switch. So I guess if you really wanted to, you could say that he switched personalities for a year. But the fact that he appeared ISTJ again once his stress went away (or once he was able to energize his first two functions again), says that he was doing what any teen would do under extreme stress: Adapt.

Anyways, I'm done ranting now. I would like to add that my ENFP sister thinks I changed personality types when I was around 6-8. I have no idea what I could have been (or what function I was developing), but she says I cried near constantly as a very young kid. I honestly can't remember very much. And I don't know how many Ti dominant children were like that, so I guess she might be right. But about a year ago, I found a letter from my 6th grade English professor that she wrote to the class and talked about each student. She made note that "And Stephanie's willingness to try anything once." So around 11ish, that sounds more ISTPish :P