User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Post How do you know when your mbti type is accurate?

Your type, due to to the nature of the tests that are out there, is largely due to your perceptions of yourself at the time that you take the test.

Therefore, it seems like a type isn't of much help unless how you view yourself is stable.

In addition, a lot of the tests are phrased in a yes or no format when it is quite possible that both options apply to you fairly equally (Which is the case with me, especially when asked it comes to the feeling or thinking questions).

So how on earth are you supposed to know if you have the right type if you alternate between several, and none of them fit you perfectly?

I honestly don't know if anyone will be able to give an answer to this question, but it is the main question that plagues me about the mbti, and the reason I list my type as Ixxx...

MBTI
    free

MBTI is more of a means as to part of what you are and what you do, rather than discretely a "personality test". Don't be surprised to find people who are more split between two poles because from life experience (especially if they are older) , they have dealt with so many different people and experience.

You gave yourself an I because it is a certain factor for you and it's probably something you can do a Y/N consideration over. It's possible you may not have developed, rather being very developed, that the final 3 letters are a complete mystery.

MBTI
    ENTJ

I know my MBTI result is correct from my own reaction when I read the description. It started from "I am glad that my meanness is 'natural'", to "oh...! this so me..!" to being scared because it felt like someone has been observing me all my life and write down all of my responses to things and my quotes very-very correctly. Everything is eerily spot on.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I was pretty certain about my type when I read the descriptions (from various sources). I didn't identify with all that was in the profiles, but the general impression was right.

Then I was really sure of my type when I found that I had the strongest "Yes, I could have typed that!" reaction to posts made by other INFJs on the forum
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

It's probably better to think of your type as a means to end rather than the end itself. Tests will only take you so far. At some point, you're going to have to stop and consider your self identity on your own, and then from there pick which box most nearly suits you. It won't be perfect, but it doesn't have to be. MBTI is only a rough measure.
    1w9 sx/sp
    A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.

All that is gold does not glitter
    Not all those who wander are lost

Your urine turns xanthous.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Your urine turns xanthous.
    True story!
    INTJ 5w4 sx/sp 584 ILI-Ni

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    Your type, due to to the nature of the tests that are out there, is largely due to your perceptions of yourself at the time that you take the test.

Therefore, it seems like a type isn't of much help unless how you view yourself is stable.

In addition, a lot of the tests are phrased in a yes or no format when it is quite possible that both options apply to you fairly equally (Which is the case with me, especially when asked it comes to the feeling or thinking questions).

So how on earth are you supposed to know if you have the right type if you alternate between several, and none of them fit you perfectly?
    How you answer a MBTI questionnaire does indeed depend on your perception of yourself. Many of the questions, however, discuss actual events that you might have been involved in, or could envision yourself doing. The key to getting as accurate a result as possible is to think about how you really are and what you really do, not what you wish you did or think is a good way to be. Also, you should do the questionnaire when you are at home, relaxed. etc. If you do it at work, or when you are stressed or focused on some specific problem, you may answer based upon the responses that seem most suitable to that situation. (E.g. an introvert receptionist who must act extraverted at work.)

That being said, these questionnaires are just part of determining your type, which is just one tool in the process of self-discovery. The best way to be sure of your type is to follow a relaxed, honest use of one of the type tests with perusal of the type descriptions. Descriptions vary in details and tone, and since there are only 16 of them, they are rather stylized. No one will match any one exactly, but one should stand out. Read several descriptions for each type that seems a likely candidate. I have found that every type has something with which I can identify, but when I read an INTJ description, there is hardly anything with which I don't identify. It thus stands out as the best match.

Finally, ask friends who are familiar with MBTI what type they think you are. When these three sources agree, you have identified your type. You will probably also have learned a great deal about yourself, especially through reading and discussing with others who know you, and that is the most important part.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

For me its a combination of identifying strongly with the type description, consistently scoring a certain way on tests, and when several others suggest that type for you.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post

I honestly don't know if anyone will be able to give an answer to this question, but it is the main question that plagues me about the mbti, and the reason I list my type as Ixxx...
    You know what's interesting, seeing how everybody rationalizes what type is differently, yet at the same time expect each type to have some common meaning. Sorry, that doesn't help. HAHA