User Tag List

123 Last

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Default A game: competition of types

Imagine a bunch of people gotten stranded on a deserted island... and we divide people by types. (assuming equal numbers per 16 type). Have them form teams compete against each other for resources. Which type(s) will fare the best?

What about having 2 types per team?

3 types per team?

Would a single type team do better or a mix group?

--------
    Backgrounder just to get you thinking:

You're likely to be stuck on this crappy island for half a year before anybody comes to rescue you. You're not allow to try leaving the island.

I'll arbitrary say you have 4 people per group. Assume you have a basic survival kit with you with food and water that'll last you for 2 days. No guns though... that'll make things too easy.

Object of the game is survival. There are no rules other than you surviving.

I would imagine there'll be limited amount of resources on this island... so there's the temptation to do away with your competitors? On the other hand, cooperation will get you far... at least in the beginning while you're setting things up.

You'll probably need the following

- Shelter
    - Food (however you can manage... fishing, hunting, gathering, stealing off other groups? anything goes)
    - Defence (against whatever wild critters that runs around on this island)
    - Entertainment? (It'll get boring after awhile...)
    Last edited by nightning; 04-16-2008 at 04:09 PM. Reason: providing clarification

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

It depends what the competition involves. Different types will have advantages in different areas, of course.

2-3 people per team would be ideal, depending what the challenges are. Probably 2 would be better than 3, less cooperation needed. Mixed types would be better (wider range of strength) but maybe not so different that cooperation is impossible (omg if you stuck me with an ESFJ I just might murder someone).

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Too many variables. Too many options. Just about anything could happen.

The simplest outcome: If the ExxJs or even the ExxP's were very aggressive, they would simply murder everyone else outright, then fight among themselves until only one was left. The outcome of that depends on brute strength and who happens to be where when. Basically, decisiveness and reliance on action (not thought or negotiation) would determine the victors.

It is probably more applicable to watch a game such as Survivor, with many more constraints added to the game, then type the contestants and see how it plays out.

Also interesting to watch "Lost" where the same thing (with the constraint that everyone is trying to work together, no one wants to kill each other, and they think they're going home so they all play by 'civilized' rules) is working itself out.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INfj

Hmmm allow me to be more specific (Yes... me a bad N that leaves too much up in the air )

You're likely to be stuck on this crappy island for half a year before anybody comes to rescue you. You're not allow to try leaving the island.

I'll arbitrary say you have 4 people per group. Assume you have a basic survival kit with you with food and water that'll last you for 2 days. No guns though... that'll make things too easy.

Object of the game is survival. There are no rules other than you surviving.

I would imagine there'll be limited amount of resources on this island... so there's the temptation to do away with your competitors? On the other hand, cooperation will get you far... at least in the beginning while you're setting things up.

You'll probably need the following

- Shelter
    - Food (however you can manage... fishing, hunting, gathering, stealing off other groups? anything goes)
    - Defence (against whatever wild critters that runs around on this island)
    - Entertainment? (It'll get boring after awhile...)

That good enough?

MBTI
    OMNi

IMHO, ENFJs and ENTPs are the types best suited for team work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    istp

The REAL Personality Types Made Relevant

^ using this, what do you think would happen to each type?

speaking for myself ("the psycho vigilante" actually isn't too far off base) i would immediately run off, establish a strategic and hidden shelter, then i would develop some weapons (a club) and camouflage (mud and plant resin) and mobilize on major expendable island resources so i could stockpile them. after that, i would stalk the other inhabitants from a distance to see what unfolds and look for opportunities to shift things further into my favor.

any of the domineering and volatile types would need to be killed off, obviously...

MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    The REAL Personality Types Made Relevant

^ using this, what do you think would happen to each type?
    Hah! Well if you go by that the INFJ "conspiracy theorist" either cons somebody into letting them leech or they'll be the first ones to go besides the INFJ "idealist".

With that said, a group of INFJs or INFPs would get along rather nicely with one another... assuming they manage to survive.

speaking for myself ("the psycho vigilante" actually isn't too far off base) i would immediately run off, establish a strategic and hidden shelter, then mobilize on major expendable island resources and stockpile them. once that's done, i would develop some weapons and camouflage then follow and watch the other inhabitants from a safe distance to see what unfolds and look for opportunities to shift things further into my favor.
    I thought the idea was to be in teams though not run off by yourself... not enough people dynamics if it's all individualistic. Try again! What will happen if you stick a bunch of ISTPs together?

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    I thought the idea was to be in teams though not run off by yourself... not enough people dynamics if it's all individualistic. Try again! What will happen if you stick a bunch of ISTPs together?
    if all the types were stranded on an island they wouldn't necessary stay in neat little groups. i think it would shed more light into type interactions if that constraint was removed from this scenario.

instead, what types do you think would form or join groups? what role would each of these types play in the group?

how would they react/deal with the types who went off on their own?

MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    if all the types were stranded on an island they wouldn't necessary stay in neat little groups. i think it would shed more light into type interactions if that constraint was removed from this scenario.

instead, what types do you think would form or join groups? what role would each of these types play in the group?

how would they react/deal with the types who were out to save themselves?
    Turn it into a free-for-all? Hmmmm no reason not to. I guess my original intention for this is to see if there are optimized type of interactions for this scenario... but we can simply look at group dynamics and derive conclusions from that.

Groups... well you would think the SJs will tend to form groups, and to some extent the NFs and ENTs. IXTX don't like groups for some reason.

Right off the bat, INFJs I suspect will prefer mix type groups.

Then you get group vs group vs "outsiders" fun and games.

Need other people's input! What sort of groups are most likely to be formed? Hierarchical (leader and followers) or equal status groups? What type goes into what position?

MBTI
    istp

Should be easy, as long as the extroverts are meaty and easily digestable.
    No offense.