User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 76

  1. #1
    Senior Member Silveresque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,280

    Default Ni, Ne, and Creativity

    First, state whether you use Ni or Ne (doesn't have to be dominant or auxiliary). How do you come up with ideas? What do you think of brainstorming?

    I think I use Ni more than Ne, but I'm not sure about my type right now. When I come up with a creative solution or idea, I usually wouldn't be able to explain how I came up with it. I just think about it and an idea comes to me. If I like the idea, I might go with that, unless I think I can come up with something better, then I'll keep thinking. I'm not really trying to grasp at many different possibilities and then evaluate them later, it's more like I'm diving into a sea of ideas, searching for the one perfect idea, and when I find it I'll just know that's the one. Though it's not often that I actually find "the one". I usually end up settling for an idea that's good enough, though not really what I'd been searching for.

    I've never really liked brainstorming. To me it just doesn't seem necessary, because if I focus on the kind of idea I'm looking for, I can come up with something creative. I don't really need to make a list of possible ideas, because all I need is one good one. I also don't like writing down every idea I come up with because I like to filter it out right away and only keep it in mind if it's one of the best ideas.

  2. #2
    You have a choice! 21%'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    2,631

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RevlisZero View Post
    First, state whether you use Ni or Ne (doesn't have to be dominant or auxiliary). How do you come up with ideas? What do you think of brainstorming?
    I'm an Ni-dom. I hate brainstorming. It has never ever worked for me. In fact, if you try to get me to brainstorm, I will just sit there with a blank piece of paper and get annoyed at myself because I can't think of anything to write down

    I think I use Ni more than Ne, but I'm not sure about my type right now. When I come up with a creative solution or idea, I usually wouldn't be able to explain how I came up with it. I just think about it and an idea comes to me. If I like the idea, I might go with that, unless I think I can come up with something better, then I'll keep thinking. I'm not really trying to grasp at many different possibilities and then evaluate them later, it's more like I'm diving into a sea of ideas, searching for the one perfect idea, and when I find it I'll just know that's the one. Though it's not often that I actually find "the one". I usually end up settling for an idea that's good enough, though not really what I'd been searching for.
    The bolded part feels like Ne to me. I've never experienced anything like "a sea of ideas".

    I've never really liked brainstorming. To me it just doesn't seem necessary, because if I focus on the kind of idea I'm looking for, I can come up with something creative. I don't really need to make a list of possible ideas, because all I need is one good one. I also don't like writing down every idea I come up with because I like to filter it out right away and only keep it in mind if it's one of the best ideas.
    The bolded part kinda implies that you entertain "a lot of ideas" naturally -- which is something I don't do. If someone tries to get me to think about how to solve a problem, I usually find that I can't think about it right away. I don't immediately see the possibilities, so I can never go "Hmmm, I can do X, and I can do Y, but those two ways won't work because [reason], so I maybe I'll do Z".

    For me, Ni doesn't seem to think about solutions -- it just focuses on defining the problem, with the belief that once the problem is understood correctly for what it is, the right solution will just emerge. Perhaps it's Ni+Ti in my case, but I'm usually focused on defining my thoughts -- then defining those sub-thoughts that are defining my main thoughts.

    Hope that makes sense
    4w5 sp/sx EII

  3. #3
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 21% View Post

    For me, Ni doesn't seem to think about solutions -- it just focuses on defining the problem, with the belief that once the problem is understood correctly for what it is, the right solution will just emerge. Perhaps it's Ni+Ti in my case, but I'm usually focused on defining my thoughts -- then defining those sub-thoughts that are defining my main thoughts.

    Hope that makes sense

    Interesting. You made me consider this a bit deeper. I see you do not brainstorm. It looks like you use a form of deduction to understand an issue/problem...Then you just wait for a solution to appear? That seems very Ni. But not so much Ti, as Ti is all about finding a solution, and making something work. But maybe as tert Ti, Ti is more just about deduction and understanding and not so much about finding a solution?


    I do brainstorm. But I've also tested high on Ne before several times, and in contemplating functions and me. (there are really no good tests that I know of however) So I don't know how much is Ne/Ni.

    So, you made me consider I really do use deductive methods (Ti?) to understand something/someone, but then I also use induction to put it all back together, which I think is Ni at work (with Fe/Te?). So it's like a V^ (mountain) of breaking down, putting back together. But mostly I lean toward inductive reasoning, which I perceive is due to my dom Ni.


    Ti doms jump too quickly to solution's oriented thinking for me, have you noticed that as well? Not thorough enough. My Ti is definitely slave to my N.



    Overall, I am a VERY slow thinker, but I'd say very thorough. (when it's a 'subject' I like).
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  4. #4
    Senior Member Silveresque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 21% View Post
    I'm an Ni-dom. I hate brainstorming. It has never ever worked for me. In fact, if you try to get me to brainstorm, I will just sit there with a blank piece of paper and get annoyed at myself because I can't think of anything to write down


    The bolded part feels like Ne to me. I've never experienced anything like "a sea of ideas".


    The bolded part kinda implies that you entertain "a lot of ideas" naturally -- which is something I don't do. If someone tries to get me to think about how to solve a problem, I usually find that I can't think about it right away. I don't immediately see the possibilities, so I can never go "Hmmm, I can do X, and I can do Y, but those two ways won't work because [reason], so I maybe I'll do Z".

    For me, Ni doesn't seem to think about solutions -- it just focuses on defining the problem, with the belief that once the problem is understood correctly for what it is, the right solution will just emerge. Perhaps it's Ni+Ti in my case, but I'm usually focused on defining my thoughts -- then defining those sub-thoughts that are defining my main thoughts.

    Hope that makes sense
    I didn't mean to imply that I come up with a lot of ideas. I'm actually kind of bad at that. When I say I dive into a sea of ideas, I'm not necessarily coming up with a lot of ideas, I'm just trying to focus and think of one good one. The sea metaphor was just to explain that I my thinking doesn't spread outward into many ideas, I'm diving forward and deep, looking for one good idea. It's hard to explain...

    I kind of relate to the bolded part. In a way, I don't really need to sit down and try to come up with ideas, I think I focus more on the problem.

  5. #5
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,859

    Default

    I think. Ideas come out. Sometimes they don't. There is no process.

  6. #6
    Anew Leaf
    Guest

    Default

    For me it's a combination of Fi + Ne working together to find ideas, sort through them, and explore them.

    Ideas are never a problem for me. Follow through and focus are my problems.

    If I do manage to cho-cho-choose (and there is a picture of a train! yeah, that's great ralph...) one idea, then I will allow it to expand outwards naturally.

    Possibilities both fuel and block me with their tantalizing tapestry of delights.

  7. #7
    Senior Member pmj85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    128

    Default

    I think I'm a Ni dom, but I'm not entirely sure yet (possibly Fe dom). This is the way it works for me:

    *Sit down to pen a succinct, eloquent letter of resignation with my mother, for my mother*

    *Mother tries to throw some ideas at me, I get annoyed because I know full well that I have better ways of articulating her points within me... they're just out of reach right now*

    *Leave it until the next day. Part way through work, open a new word document on my laptop and FLARGHALAHRAFGHALAGHR - one amazing resignation letter from fucking nowhere.*

    Job done.

  8. #8
    Glycerine
    Guest

    Default

    Fe dom: I analyze and try each option until something finally clicks. The solution comes from a mixture of the different trials. It's hard to reign in my brain until I get the right solution.

    I actually soundboard (Fe) many of my ideas to other people and then consider their reactions to see if I'm missing anything (for verification or to revamp the idea but not for them to fix my problems).

  9. #9
    Senior Member pmj85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    128

    Default

    @Glycerine - Interesting. As you may or may not have deduced from the above post (probably not, I could be ranting about anything) I'm currently trying to differentiate between INFJ and ENFJ as my type. It has become glaringly obvious that I use Fe and that I'm N rather than S. The order of my dominant / auxiliary functions is anyone's guess, though.

    That said, I can identify with what you say above. In part, at least.

  10. #10
    meinmeinmein! mmhmm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RevlisZero View Post
    How do you come up with ideas?
    i use Ne

    i don't think i necessarily come up with ideas.
    but i think i'm good at spotting good ideas and
    synthesizing them with other ideas to make
    mutant idea babies.

    if anything, i just really love consuming information,
    and somehow in my head it stews and little haflings
    and mutated ideas just pop out of my mouth.

    Quote Originally Posted by RevlisZero View Post
    What do you think of brainstorming?
    this is one of the very few things that i like structured.
    and i mean it in the sense of setup in regards of
    multi-people brainstorming. i think it's important to
    establish a framework so it doesn't spiral into some
    form of circlejerk. i also like a strong facilitator that
    knows how to handle the differences represented
    in the group.

    i'm very partial to the laddering ideas and use it
    very often myself, because it allows every idea to
    be considered, so even if someone gives a very
    basic input, there are always ways to build off that.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

Similar Threads

  1. Pretty Ni/Se and Ne/Si pictures
    By sculpting in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-03-2016, 12:29 AM
  2. [SP] Ne and Ni from an SP
    By Fun in the Sun in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-27-2015, 09:24 AM
  3. Ne and Ni
    By Oaky in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 271
    Last Post: 02-23-2015, 10:46 AM
  4. What's the difference between Ne/Ni doms and Ne/Ni auxiliaries?
    By Esoteric Wench in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-16-2012, 02:10 PM
  5. [Ne] Ne and science
    By substitute in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 10-12-2008, 12:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO