MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    [youtube="GSMCRD35ch4"]Meow[/youtube]
    that right there is terrifying Ni creepiness.

Not sure if I'm exactly on topic here, since I'm not bothered to read the whole thread cos I should be reading. But I just thought of a nice explanation for how Ni and Ne come up with stuff, and I thought it might fit in this thread.

So to put it shortly, to me it seems like Ni generates a new idea by looking at something from a different angle, whereas Ne takes the same thing and "forces" it to be viewed from another angle by adding something to it from another context. Both act on connections between stuff, but there's a small difference.

John Cleese! On some episode of that old show where he runs a hotel tells his spanish employee to "know nothing" about him winning some money in a horse race, and when he wants the man to tell someone the truth later on, he responds "I know nothing". Didn't sound funny there, it was sort of funny in the show though, BUT! The point. To me that seems like a really Ni:ish idea, since the funniness of the whole thing is based on taking something "that's there", the fact that the spanish guy is told to know nothing about the whole affair, and looking at it from another point of view, suddenly wanting him to talk about it, which then results in a strange situation that I wasn't exactly able to present here in all of its glory.

AND THEN! On one episode of Adventure Time, Jake the dog (A magic dog, if you aren't familiar with the show.) is injected with poison strong enough to kill 9 dogs, after which he magically makes his liver 10 times its normal size get the poison out of his system, it was funny there too, sorry for these explanations. But this then, would appear a Ne:ish idea, since it also takes what's there, the poison in the dog, and resolves it by adding stuff from another context, which is that livers do weird stuff.

I have no idea if this is making any sense. Ni looks at stuff from different angles, but then is restricted by the context in which the object of interest appears to be in. Although then, seeing something from all angles makes them see those weird subtleties behind stuff, which I find strange. And Ne takes something from a certain context, looks for another context that might have had some similarities with the other one, and then forces them to "Melt" together by forcing something into the idea that would bind them together, like massive poison burning livers, or something stereotypically Ne:ish like rainbow coloured dragons.

And I apologize for the messiness of everything in that post, a nightly Ne rampage.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i feel like i use both but ne more often. they come out of nowhere...or not really...i guess i'll be thinking about a thing and then...oh this would be cool...and that and that which later on would make this possible and then this thing would happen which would lead to that and then i should start doing that oh and use this and wouldn't it then be cool if this happened and we got to do more of that.

i always feel like typing that sort of thing out is so pointless. like that's how everybody does it. it's just called thinking.

edit: oh and i love to brainstorm. it makes me very happy when people do this with me. i feel like i think much better with someone else.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    For me it's a combination of Fi + Ne working together to find ideas, sort through them, and explore them.

Ideas are never a problem for me. Follow through and focus are my problems.

If I do manage to cho-cho-choose (and there is a picture of a train! yeah, that's great ralph...) one idea, then I will allow it to expand outwards naturally.

Possibilities both fuel and block me with their tantalizing tapestry of delights.
    This. Spot on.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Hmm this thread really helped me understand my Ni.
    Brainstorming is definitely not my strength because I study something very intensely before I can consider alternate ideas. When I worked on ads with my partner, she would always say I was a good critic but too much so that it's spoiling the brainstorming process. I either gave an in depth reason why it would or would not work.

Quote Originally Posted by mujigay View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm Ni dom, because I'm the worst brainstormer the world has ever seen. Group projects with my ENTP buddy go something like this: she spitballs infinite crazy ideas. I shoot them down, one after another, until some little aspect of her plans just sets off the wheels of my brain, and the answer/plan comes together, all in an instant. Voila. It's magical, but not really, because the answer was waiting there all along. It just had to be found.
    Hehe, Ne and Ni working together is a beautiful dynamic, n'est pas?

Quote Originally Posted by RevlisZero View Post
    First, state whether you use Ni or Ne (doesn't have to be dominant or auxiliary). How do you come up with ideas? What do you think of brainstorming?

I think I use Ni more than Ne, but I'm not sure about my type right now. When I come up with a creative solution or idea, I usually wouldn't be able to explain how I came up with it. I just think about it and an idea comes to me. If I like the idea, I might go with that, unless I think I can come up with something better, then I'll keep thinking. I'm not really trying to grasp at many different possibilities and then evaluate them later, it's more like I'm diving into a sea of ideas, searching for the one perfect idea, and when I find it I'll just know that's the one. Though it's not often that I actually find "the one". I usually end up settling for an idea that's good enough, though not really what I'd been searching for.

I've never really liked brainstorming. To me it just doesn't seem necessary, because if I focus on the kind of idea I'm looking for, I can come up with something creative. I don't really need to make a list of possible ideas, because all I need is one good one. I also don't like writing down every idea I come up with because I like to filter it out right away and only keep it in mind if it's one of the best ideas.
    Fi inner-value driven Ne asserted by tert Te.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.