RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I'm Ni.

I'm not very creative moment to moment. But when I think of something new, it usually just appears in my head fully formed -- I don't have to do anything or really even think that hard. (Obviously, if there's math involved I have to think it through, but I don't have to think about how to think it through.)

Brainstorming is more of a thought clarifier for me than an idea generator.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Ne, and i don't really like brainstorming with other people. it feels limiting. too much Fi interference.

@shortnsweet pinpointed it though, i brainstorm in the sense of STORM OF IDEAS.

alternatively, "sea of ideas".

i enjoy doing "variations on a theme" and i feel like most of my creativity comes from new arrangements of existing concepts. they don't come to me full-formed, though. i swim the sea of ideas and spin them and turn them and attach and detach and click and change and filter until all the systems align as one. but that's the fun part, you know. getting them all to come together as one. Ni sounds awesome but i would miss my idea-swimming.

also Ne:

ENFP specifically. pop-tarts, cats, space, rainbows, annoying repetitive cute music... yeah that's us

MEOW ME ME MEOW ME ME ME ME ME ME MEOW ME ME ME MEOW MEOW ME ME OW MEOW ME ME MEOW ME ME ME ME ME ME MEOW ME ME ME MEOW MEOW ME ME OW

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

I love brainstorming. It helps me come up with ideas that were under the surface but not quite there yet.
    I don't know the difference between Ni and Ne as neither is my dominant function.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    i brainstorm in the sense of STORM OF IDEAS.

alternatively, "sea of ideas".
    I see both. I was watching a real storm the other day and pictured how the storminess of the sea and sky are just.... stormy, a lot of the time, but then there are those moments where they seem to connect and communicate to each other, and try to one-up on their storminess.

And this is doubly representative as model and example so I think it works

Ni sounds awesome but i would miss my idea-swimming.
    We get the fun of going out on the open seas, casting out the net, picking the biggest fish, and cooking up something with it. Ni has the advantage of having a complete set of salmon dinner wrapped and delivered to the doorstep after saving up enough. They each have their advantages, but yeah I'd rather pick out the stuff myself too...

also Ne:

ENFP specifically. pop-tarts, cats, space, rainbows, annoying repetitive cute music... yeah that's us

MEOW ME ME MEOW ME ME ME ME ME ME MEOW ME ME ME MEOW MEOW ME ME OW MEOW ME ME MEOW ME ME ME ME ME ME MEOW ME ME ME MEOW MEOW ME ME OW
    Kind of repetitive to be Ne, isn't it? But yes the combination itself of poptarts, space, cats, and rainbows is very representative but I object to this being limited to the Fi flavor of Ne

*And on a nitpicky note, Nyan Cat says "Nyan" not "Meow" (He/she speaks Japanese..)

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I always thought of brainstorming as an activity designed to help people who aren't naturally "idea people"; they have to consciously form connections. Those little brainstorm charts in school seemed tedious & pointless to me. Let's just jump to the end.

Ideas have to flow naturally for me too. They often arrived fully formed; sometimes I just get an image or phrase that is interesting & inspires me to use it exactly as is or as a theme of sorts. I know something is interesting enough for me to do when it keeps "bothering" me. Other stuff just amuses me & then I forget about it.
    Agreed. I don't tend to like brainstorming sessions and I suppose it is for this reason. The process is often just too easy for me and I'm forced to tailor it to fit others that find it difficult. Brainstorming always feel so slow and laborious, and we have to list all the obvious and ludicrous ideas down in mind-numbing detail as if they are as potentially useful as the truly imaginative or insightful. I've already mentally tossed out the unworkable ideas and skipped ahead in the process, while people are still discussing the merits of a nonsensical idea. I often end up just sitting there shifting in my seat at how painful it all is, wishing for it to be over.

I do sometimes take from other things too; I like looking at fashion magazines for inspiration. I don't copy what I see; I just use it as a springboard & then form something of my own. My brain sort of immediately discerns the base concept & tosses the obvious; a lot of this is Fi-ish too - there's some feeling-tone attachment that says "this is good, keep this, toss that" so you end up with a very vague framework to use. Nothing is wholly original anyway; it's all derivative if you consider it closely enough. I'm driven to improve also, and I think that is a Fi (maybe just Ji) influence. It can be frustrating to know exactly how something could be better but not have the ability to do it, whether financially or talent-wise or whatever. I'm very much a "dreamer", always thinking of a better future.
    I agree with this, especially the part in bold. I'm very vibey in terms of ideas too - I like to have something to set the wheels in motion and provide the lighting bolt of inspiration. I then combine that inspiration with other smaller ideas that I have on the backburner and fit the pieces together in a new and different way. Perhaps this reflects a particular XNFP skill, in not only being idea driven but having a extremely astute and prompt evaluative process combined with it. We can spot a potential idea or fragment of an idea quickly and then imagine it's potential in very abstract terms - using those feeling tones and such - and then reconstruct it into a more pure form. In fact, you could say it's like painting in feeling tones.

I spent a lot of time creating things which mirrored some fantasy ideal I had or expressed my view of how people/the world are, and I didn't even quite know it then. The desire to create to express a hard to articulate concept - that is Fi motivated.
    Yes. So much of my ideas and my creativity in general are based around trying to illustrate a particular sense of the world that is difficult to comprehend. I want to convey that internal experience that is so interesting to me.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    I see both. I was watching a real storm the other day and pictured how the storminess of the sea and sky are just.... stormy, a lot of the time, but then there are those moments where they seem to connect and communicate to each other, and try to one-up on their storminess.

And this is doubly representative as model and example so I think it works

We get the fun of going out on the open seas, casting out the net, picking the biggest fish, and cooking up something with it. Ni has the advantage of having a complete set of salmon dinner wrapped and delivered to the doorstep after saving up enough. They each have their advantages, but yeah I'd rather pick out the stuff myself too...

Kind of repetitive to be Ne, isn't it? But yes the combination itself of poptarts, space, cats, and rainbows is very representative but I object to this being limited to the Fi flavor of Ne

*And on a nitpicky note, Nyan Cat says "Nyan" not "Meow" (He/she speaks Japanese..)
    fair point. nyan cat is pure Ne. and hey the counterpart shadow to Ne is Si anyway, so the repetition makes sense, can't have the Ne without the Si

NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN

(better? )

Glycerine

I love how you posted the post twice.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    I love how you posted the post twice.
    it was an accident! my computer is being an ass.

though Ne never really complains about more information

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    fair point. nyan cat is pure Ne. and hey the counterpart shadow to Ne is Si anyway, so the repetition makes sense, can't have the Ne without the Si

NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN

(better? )
    Much better

Yes, Nyan Cat probably wouldn't have been nearly the phenomenon it was without the Si balance to it. Stripping it to the essential impression and repeating it ad infinitum made it memorable, and then in turn led to the creation of MOAR AND MOAR VARIATIONS of the original filling the webs.

So pretty much: throw dash of Si into the Ne mix= explosion of nyan-esque creations taking over the world

I can... kind of see why this seems scary to some people now