• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

16 types X 2 sexes = 2 variations of each type yielding 32 manifestations.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Is a male ENFP markedly different than a female ENFP?

A female INTP markedly different than a male INTP, etc.

Point being...

How does one's sex affect the way their personality type is manifested?

Badlands

MBTI Type
INTP
I think particularly extraverts from each gender express their personalities differently because the pressure to conform more directly affects them. The most noticeable difference is probably that male Fs are pressured to develop T functions, and women Ts pressured to develop F functions, but this is a wholly environmental issue. Genetically, I don't think there is much of a difference, it's just the way people react to a male INTP vs. a female INTP.

heart

heart on fire
I read that male Feelers will be more stubborn to try and compensate for the softness they perceive in themeselves because of feeling.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is an interesting article I've come across in my past research on giftedness, and it also talks a bit about female and male trends in exhibiting certain preferences/functions over others.

Kind of off topic, but interesting still.

SENG: Articles & Resources - Gifted kids at risk: Who's listening?

Its not off topic, dear
you are merely bringing in data to support your thesis
it seems irrelevant to those who can't read between the lines
or read, for that matter

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fe gone horrible

We are taught that different is wrong
By failing to establish these guidelines we are supposed to ,
we inevitably place boxes for others to suffocate in

lack of individuality and freedom kills man, slowly and neatly

aside from my predicable NF rant,

Introverts are bound to be labeled freak,
with the ratio being 75% E, for the win
and might have to be more assertive to be taken seriously or even survive
" a closed mouth does not get fed "

and Extroverts are pressured more to be socially acceptable,
for they have more motivation to be in the fore
they inevitably have to be more reserved
" loose lips sink ships "

correlating gender with these quagmires, as well as traditional expectations....
the conflict is obvious

redacted

I think particularly extraverts from each gender express their personalities differently because the pressure to conform more directly affects them. The most noticeable difference is probably that male Fs are pressured to develop T functions, and women Ts pressured to develop F functions, but this is a wholly environmental issue. Genetically, I don't think there is much of a difference, it's just the way people react to a male INTP vs. a female INTP.

agree.

one question, though. what do you guys think about the statistics that say women are more likely to be F and men are more likely to be T? do you think those conclusions were drawn inaccurately? are women and men equally likely to be thinkers/feelers, but merely conform to certain social pressures and behave accordingly, testing as the wrong type in MBTI?

i personally think there is a genetic difference -- i believe women ARE more likely to be F and men ARE more likely to be T.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There actually are gender differences that are biological in origin (hormonal influences in particular, which spawn from genetics, contribute to them).

Biology also in turn results in being acted on certain ways by the environment. So there is some cyclical movement where environment/society interacts with biology and hormonal makeup to create a circle of influence.

It's just not easy to pinpoint or generalize, because there's so much variety in external influence as well as variety within the gender spectrum.

One way to approach this is to find representatives of each type, of each gender, and see what patterns show up:

Take ISFJs for example. Males have a bias towards competence/power in how they evaluate themselves ("Can I do this? Do I have the skill and strength?"), whereas females tend to drop more into the "Am I acceptable as a person, and/or am I productive?"

I think we can see these play out more clearly in the animal kingdom, in terms of typical gender roles in the mating and child-raising relationships... (testosterone and estrogen contribute to these sorts of leaning).

In any case, female ISFJs seem to be a little different than male ISFJs because the ISFJ qualities are channeled by biology into different focuses.

And there is also the environmental influence: Men are expected to behave a particular way in a culture, so the ISFJ male reacts to that, it sets a context for how he views himself. And the same for the women ISFJs. (I think overall female ISFJs find it easier to be content and fit into US society than male ISFJs.)

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I know less about the typing than most others here, but I've read that there at least twice as many female ESFJs as male ones. At the same time, the literature also states that male ESFJs tend to be very masculine. It seems to me that female ESFJs have a distinct "mothering" aspect of their personalities, so it would make sense that male ESFJs would be "fatherly" and I do feel that way about myself (at least, as much as a 25-year-old single man would). I enjoy being around children, playing, reading, educational games, cartoons, etc. I also find myself making sure that people get along, rules and guidelines followed and the like. People often come to me for advice, as well. On the negative side, I have had arguments with friends in which they'll say something along the lines of "I don't have to listen to you; you're not my father," which I attribute to my very forceful, often black-and-white way of letting my feelings be known. I get very disappointed when people I care about do something I consider to be wrong. A female flipside could be super-sensitive and caring about their loved ones, a "Supermom" type, but could also nag and be quite stifling, I think.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I would say it is probably true that in general each gender has typical manifestations of type, but that they are not unique to the gender. By which I mean, that gender indicates an MBTI preference but doesn't change the way it manifests. So, females will more often be 'F' but it doesnt enforce any F tendencies on a female T - just that the female T is statistically less likely.

It's worth noting, at this point, that male and female are typically dominant and submissive in a relationship, but not always. Most pairings have one or the other (to use lesbian terminology - which is instructive at this point - a butch and a femme). Most of you will be able to identify relationships, if you think carefully, where the butch and the femme are not male female, but are indeed female and male. I think MBTI is like this.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Is a male ENFP markedly different than a female ENFP?

A female INTP markedly different than a male INTP, etc.

Point being...

How does one's sex affect the way their personality type is manifested?

No.

Introverted thinking is introverted thinking. Doesn't matter what sex organs you possess or what hormones you use. If your body makes you use "different" introverted thinking (just as an example...) then what you're using isn't introverted thinking. It's something else.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
That is not however to say that all people fit into these sixteen bland boxes.

All people have their own way of presenting their type to the world. I think that's more the answer CC was looking for. But then, it's not 32, it's 6.6b. types.

redacted

i think almost all functions look the same for males and females...

but Fe and Fi look quite different. culture influences those value sets, blah blah...you guys get it.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Well, I have never met any male ENFPs, but I would conjecture that they would be a slightly to a moderately different kind of breed of ENFP.

In fact, even on this forum, it is quite easy to detect that there is a difference between the male and female ENFPs.

There are biological differences between the sexes, and it is a well known fact that women across the board are generally inclined and neurophysiologically more suited to experience empathy more frequently and intensely than men.

Also, I would venture to say that there are more female ENFPs than male ENFPs

More male INTPs/INTJs than female INTPs/INTJs

More female INFPs than male INFPs...

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Well, I have never met any male ENFPs, but I would conjecture that they would be a slightly to a moderately different kind of breed of ENFP.

In fact, even on this forum, it is quite easy to detect that there is a difference between the male and female ENFPs.

There are biological differences between the sexes, and it is a well known fact that women across the board are generally inclined and neurophysiologically more suited to experience empathy more frequently and intensely than men.

Also, I would venture to say that there are more female ENFPs than male ENFPs

More male INTPs/INTJs than female INTPs/INTJs

More female INFPs than male INFPs...

How do you think this affects the way you interact with other types? And I would venture to say that you have met some male ENFPs, you just didn't know it. ;)

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
How do you think this affects the way you interact with other types? And I would venture to say that you have met some male ENFPs, you just didn't know it. ;)
I don't really type people, however I have always cataloged people as "cold or warm" and cold correlates with T, and warm correlates with F. Also, I always register whether a person is extroverted or introverted.

That being said, hmm, two of my closest friends have happened to be "cold" females, and I've always found their demeanors to be refreshing. My mom and sister are hardcore Fs and that can definitely get taxing.

Also, I have generally found myself acquainted with "cold" men, but it should be noted, that these "cold" men have invariably been "colder" than the "cold" women I've known.

Lastly, I have had the pleasure of encountering "warm" men, and they are rare gems whose company I always cherish, yet, they were not as "warm" as the "warm" women I've met.

*edit this has changed a bit because F women can still be competitive witches, and in this case, despite their apparent "warmth" their jealousy gets the best of them and in this scenario, I would prefer the warmth of an F guy's company any day.

LOL, I hope I've made some sense.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I don't really type people, however I have always cataloged people as "cold or warm" and cold correlates with T, and warm correlates with F. Also, I always register whether a person is extroverted or introverted.

That being said, hmm, two of my closest friends have happened to be "cold" females, and I've always found their demeanors to be refreshing. My mom and sister are hardcore Fs and that can definitely get taxing.

Also, I have generally found myself acquainted with "cold" men, but it should be noted, that these "cold" men have invariably been "colder" than the "cold" women I've known.

Lastly, I have had the pleasure of encountering "warm" men, and they are rare gems whose company I always cherish, yet, they were not as "warm" as the "warm" women I've met.

*edit this has changed a bit because F women can still be competitive witches, and in this case, despite their apparent "warmth" their jealousy gets the best of them and in this scenario, I would prefer the warmth of an F guy's company any day.

LOL, I hope I've made some sense.

That makes sense. I'd like to think that I am a pretty "warm" type of man, although I definitely have a bit sour in with the sweet. Verbal lashings, as I was saying earlier.

Badlands

MBTI Type
INTP
They say the 3-to-1 data for Introverts was collected in the 60s. I'm not sure why they're using that. Either way, it doesn't make sense. The high school environment clearly prefers extraversion (thus weak introverts could easily get an extraverted result), and yet a significantly higher margin than 3-to-1 showed a preference for I.

MBTI Proximity Chart at MROB

About a fourth way through, you find the most recent stats on personality type the MBTI offers (1998).
E-vs-I: 49.3% is E, 50.7% is I
S-vs-N: 73.2% is S, 26.8% is N
T-vs-F: 40.3% is T, 59.7% is F
J-vs-P: 54.1% is J, 45.9% is P

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
All people have their own way of presenting their type to the world. I think that's more the answer CC was looking for. But then, it's not 32, it's 6.6b. types.
True, snowflakes we are. :)

*Everyone is sooooooooo remarkably different, we don't share like 99.99% of the same genes, or anything. :smooch: