User Tag List

123 Last

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default 16 types X 2 sexes = 2 variations of each type yielding 32 manifestations.

Is a male ENFP markedly different than a female ENFP?

A female INTP markedly different than a male INTP, etc.

Point being...

How does one's sex affect the way their personality type is manifested?
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INTP

I think particularly extraverts from each gender express their personalities differently because the pressure to conform more directly affects them. The most noticeable difference is probably that male Fs are pressured to develop T functions, and women Ts pressured to develop F functions, but this is a wholly environmental issue. Genetically, I don't think there is much of a difference, it's just the way people react to a male INTP vs. a female INTP.

heart on fire

I read that male Feelers will be more stubborn to try and compensate for the softness they perceive in themeselves because of feeling.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

This is an interesting article I've come across in my past research on giftedness, and it also talks a bit about female and male trends in exhibiting certain preferences/functions over others.

Kind of off topic, but interesting still.

SENG: Articles & Resources - Gifted kids at risk: Who's listening?
    `

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    This is an interesting article I've come across in my past research on giftedness, and it also talks a bit about female and male trends in exhibiting certain preferences/functions over others.

Kind of off topic, but interesting still.

SENG: Articles & Resources - Gifted kids at risk: Who's listening?
    Its not off topic, dear
    you are merely bringing in data to support your thesis
    it seems irrelevant to those who can't read between the lines
    or read, for that matter
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

^haha

true
    `

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Fe gone horrible

We are taught that different is wrong
    By failing to establish these guidelines we are supposed to ,
    we inevitably place boxes for others to suffocate in

lack of individuality and freedom kills man, slowly and neatly

aside from my predicable NF rant,

Introverts are bound to be labeled freak,
    with the ratio being 75% E, for the win
    and might have to be more assertive to be taken seriously or even survive
    " a closed mouth does not get fed "

and Extroverts are pressured more to be socially acceptable,
    for they have more motivation to be in the fore
    they inevitably have to be more reserved
    " loose lips sink ships "

correlating gender with these quagmires, as well as traditional expectations....
    the conflict is obvious
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Badlands View Post
    I think particularly extraverts from each gender express their personalities differently because the pressure to conform more directly affects them. The most noticeable difference is probably that male Fs are pressured to develop T functions, and women Ts pressured to develop F functions, but this is a wholly environmental issue. Genetically, I don't think there is much of a difference, it's just the way people react to a male INTP vs. a female INTP.
    agree.

one question, though. what do you guys think about the statistics that say women are more likely to be F and men are more likely to be T? do you think those conclusions were drawn inaccurately? are women and men equally likely to be thinkers/feelers, but merely conform to certain social pressures and behave accordingly, testing as the wrong type in MBTI?

i personally think there is a genetic difference -- i believe women ARE more likely to be F and men ARE more likely to be T.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

There actually are gender differences that are biological in origin (hormonal influences in particular, which spawn from genetics, contribute to them).

Biology also in turn results in being acted on certain ways by the environment. So there is some cyclical movement where environment/society interacts with biology and hormonal makeup to create a circle of influence.

It's just not easy to pinpoint or generalize, because there's so much variety in external influence as well as variety within the gender spectrum.

One way to approach this is to find representatives of each type, of each gender, and see what patterns show up:

Take ISFJs for example. Males have a bias towards competence/power in how they evaluate themselves ("Can I do this? Do I have the skill and strength?"), whereas females tend to drop more into the "Am I acceptable as a person, and/or am I productive?"

I think we can see these play out more clearly in the animal kingdom, in terms of typical gender roles in the mating and child-raising relationships... (testosterone and estrogen contribute to these sorts of leaning).

In any case, female ISFJs seem to be a little different than male ISFJs because the ISFJ qualities are channeled by biology into different focuses.

And there is also the environmental influence: Men are expected to behave a particular way in a culture, so the ISFJ male reacts to that, it sets a context for how he views himself. And the same for the women ISFJs. (I think overall female ISFJs find it easier to be content and fit into US society than male ISFJs.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESFJ

I know less about the typing than most others here, but I've read that there at least twice as many female ESFJs as male ones. At the same time, the literature also states that male ESFJs tend to be very masculine. It seems to me that female ESFJs have a distinct "mothering" aspect of their personalities, so it would make sense that male ESFJs would be "fatherly" and I do feel that way about myself (at least, as much as a 25-year-old single man would). I enjoy being around children, playing, reading, educational games, cartoons, etc. I also find myself making sure that people get along, rules and guidelines followed and the like. People often come to me for advice, as well. On the negative side, I have had arguments with friends in which they'll say something along the lines of "I don't have to listen to you; you're not my father," which I attribute to my very forceful, often black-and-white way of letting my feelings be known. I get very disappointed when people I care about do something I consider to be wrong. A female flipside could be super-sensitive and caring about their loved ones, a "Supermom" type, but could also nag and be quite stifling, I think.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"