• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A Few Observations on Fundamental Differences between Types

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You wrote: "i have a good idea of how the system works." That just comes more naturally to some than to others. I'm just observing that you pick up on the social aspects first, and that's what the medical system is. Not the record-keeping and the filing-system, but the social hierarchy.

:thinking:

yeah. to me, since i've been a patient and the family member and friend of doctors themselves - and probably because i'm geared to think in a big-picture human-focused way - i see the system as more a giant functioning organism than a conglomeration of learned individuals practicing science, though certainly medicine is both. my dad - a biochemist INTP doctor - probably sees it quite differently from myself. i should ask him, it'd be interesting to hear it from his POV.

G

Glycerine

I'm certain that Fe motives have something to do with developing your Ti talents.

Not necessarily. To be successful, one has to balance out. I have always had some knack for critical thinking.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
MBTI describes preference, not ability. Everyone uses every function when necessary.

These are basic MBTI facts. I don't know why they need to be repeated over and over again.

In other words, research more, make fewer assumptions.

Chloe

OK. I just tease out the nuances and look for general patterns when doing math problems. How the heck does one humanize numbers?

me and some of my mathematician friends - most of which now are finishing MS in mathematics (becuse i went in specialized math-oriented high school so we were geek-only school etc) who were NFs (and NT vs NF ratio was almost 1:1) were often discussing - while drunk :D - how math is like life. solving a math problem is like experiencing life. these are one of my favorite convos with my ENFJ best friend from high school who is now MS in math.... and greeeat book - I read it when I was 13 lol - was book, Goldbach's Conjecture (every number greater than 2 can e expressed as a sum of 2 prime numbers, n=p1+p2), where that guy spend the whole life researching/trying to prove Goldbach's conjecture, he developed a relationship in his head with 2 prime numbers, imagined them as female twins, dreamt about them etc
it was cool book for reading how math can be passionate for NF esp for teenage me who was passionate about math
i think it ended up with him spending his life pursuing something that cant be proven because it probably?! is not true LOL. This is why I decided not to devote my life to math even though "that shouls have been my path" haha

I definately personalize Math. it was woman in my life, i would describe her like that. My old lover, that brings warmth to my heart when we occassionally meet, but we grown seperate ways and after 10 minutes have no more topics.. it becomes awkward and we just say hi-bye for good old times *i always get so nostalgic when i think about my old friend*

this is the book
uncle-petros-and-goldbach-conjecture.jpg

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
. I'm talking about those high-use Sensors who don't understand the concept of "outer space," or "galaxy," or "satellite," where this is not due to having a low IQ.

Oh, and this is the most retarded thing I've read in a while, so congrats.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You're very perceptive.

That was a prediction, not a perception.

Unfortunately, other posters don't comment on blog posts. So if I didn't care to carry on a conversation, I would go blogging.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well that's a relief. Because if it's retarded, then it must have an IQ below 70, correct? And what did you say about my IQ comment above? So doesn't that apply back to itself, in that calling an IQ comment "retarded" must also be retarded?

Actually, I don't always like the threads I start, but I am enjoying this one. And I'm getting a mostly positive response so far.
You can change my description of that particular statement to mind-numbingly stupid, incredibly foolish, astonishingly misguided, or staggeringly ignorant if the word retarded offends you. The specific word isn't particularly important. Getting caught up in details like that is such an S thing to do, wouldn't you say?

In case you want an explanation for why it's a stupid statement, and even if you don't, I'll tell you anyway - the corollary would be wondering about those "high-use intuitives who just don't understand the concept of eating, or sleeping, or walking".

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
function use is not a precursor for critical thinking- people without Ti aren't "missing a part of their brain" somehow- if they have all the parts and those parts are communicating, they should be able to solve a math problem.

It's not that each and every thought goes through a cognitive function barrier. And uh, yes, if you happen to fall high on the IQ number you should be able to understand the concepts mentioned in the OP.

You're mistyping people- you're typing people through a cloud of pre-bias.

You can "confirm" virtually anything in your mind if you approach MBTI that way.

(Edit: If you're wondering how and Fe dom can solve a math problem, I'm wondering how a Ti-dom can create so many judgments on pre-guesses supported by personal observation without testing.)

Chloe

why do you guys have to fight over and over again about the same stuff ? LOL. IQ, functions, IQ, who's smarter... all the same. :blush:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You can change my description of that particular statement to mind-numbingly stupid, incredibly foolish, astonishingly misguided, or staggeringly ignorant if the word retarded offends you. The specific word isn't particularly important. Getting caught up in details like that is such an S thing to do, wouldn't you say?

In case you want an explanation for why it's a stupid statement, and even if you don't, I'll tell you anyway - the corollary would be wondering about those "high-use intuitives who just don't understand the concept of eating, or sleeping, or walking".

That's an interesting point you bring up - except it is not related to observation. You're just creating a reductio by arguing one hypothetical theory against another theory. I'm not saying your point is not worth thinking about. But I am talking about observations, after all. Now if you want to say that I'm looking at people with my eyes crossed, or that I'm only hearing from them what I want to hear, that's another thing altogether. That at least would be more acceptable. Because then at least you would be understanding what I wrote in the very title of this thread.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
function use is not a precursor for critical thinking- people without Ti aren't "missing a part of their brain" somehow- if they have all the parts and those parts are communicating, they should be able to solve a math problem.

It's not that each and every thought goes through a cognitive function barrier. And uh, yes, if you happen to fall high on the IQ number you should be able to understand the concepts mentioned in the OP.

You're mistyping people- you're typing people through a cloud of pre-bias.

You can "confirm" virtually anything in your mind if you approach MBTI that way.

(Edit: If you're wondering how and Fe dom can solve a math problem, I'm wondering how a Ti-dom can create so many judgments on pre-guesses supported by personal observation without testing.)

Me? I've already stated farther up to someone else that anybody can develop any function, but I believe that certain functions develop according to which of your functions dominate. For example, I think it is less common for an Se to develop Te, and more common for an Fe or an FI to develop Ti.

These threads become less about conversation and more about ninny-nanny lecturing.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
why do you guys have to fight over and over again about the same stuff ? LOL. IQ, functions, IQ, who's smarter... all the same. :blush:

That was never my original point anyway. But on this forum, certain terms bring some people to a froth.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I do not believe that anyone with a high school education and moderate IQ level "does not understand the concept of" satellites, outer space and/or galaxies. Sensor or Intuitive. If they don't understand the concept, they are either very stupid or the concept was poorly explained by their high school teacher (or, as seen so often in young or immature NTs - confusing "agree with me" with "understanding the concept"). Worse, you're implying that there is somehow a whole herd of these people, and that their (alleged) inability to grasp these ideas is due to them being a strong sensor. That's as dumb as saying high-level intuitives are anorexics because they don't understand the concept of eating.

I can't believe you're actually arguing this. :shock:

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Me? I've already stated farther up to someone else that anybody can develop any function, but I believe that certain functions develop according to which of your functions dominate. For example, I think it is less common for an Se to develop Te, and more common for an Fe or an FI to develop Ti.

These threads become less about conversation and more about ninny-nanny lecturing.

Alright, still didn't really respond to the first paragraph. People don't look at math problems and critical thinking through "function eyes". They are hopefully doing this with the intent to solve. "Critical thinking" is the function that people use for things like that. (Now that's a skill on it's own that not everyone has regardless.)

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I do not believe that anyone with a high school education and moderate IQ level "does not understand the concept of" satellites, outer space and/or galaxies. Sensor or Intuitive. If they don't understand the concept, they are either very stupid or the concept was poorly explained by their high school teacher (or, as seen so often in young or immature NTs - confusing "agree with me" with "understanding the concept"). Worse, you're implying that there is somehow a whole herd of these people, and that their (alleged) inability to grasp these ideas is due to them being a strong sensor. That's as dumb as saying high-level intuitives are anorexics because they don't understand the concept of eating.

I can't believe you're actually arguing this. :shock:

Yeah, true. (As a side note I feel like I'm stalking you around threads the past couple of days- apologies. :blush:)

But anyway, I would more readily believe that the smartish sensor with at least so-so education would not want to engage in these topics for fun because they don't see the practicality or value of discussion that's going to have no ending. (Not from lack of understanding.)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I was bad at math in school, good at it in University and nowadays I am bad at it again.

Every personality who stagnates is never healthy imo